Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool: Flying Disks

Dear Sir, Thank you for again enunciating your OPINIONS, I do not share them. With regard to your contention that I dont know what I'm doing with disks you clearly have no idea what I know or dont know. Roads cover a mere fraction of the land, and yes, even the dragons get road bonus for being on them. I'm not concerned with MY speed sir, I'm concerned with the EXTRA GIFT of additional speed in conjunction with FLIGHT that these flying disks will provide. Perhaps your oblivious to the fact that there ARE those in your ilk that ARE campaigning for additional stacks to the flying disks, but that doesn't go unnoticed to those dragons and bipeds that ARE being intellectually honest about the ramifications of the flying disks AND the additional Dragon affirmitive action gifts that have been doled out. If your intent on bringing real world logic into the mix lets use the example of C-5 transport plane, they can carry a godly amount of material in their hold, however, they can carry store more than they can takeoff and fly with.

How do you justify letting a dragon carrying/pulling 17k bulk FLY with more speed than that same dragon running across the land with the same 17k bulk? I await your response.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Justify it. Simple.
    Why can I fly with 2800 bulk inventory only and fly over the land at a speed of 75. And with that same capacity only walk at 50 over the land or at 75 when using the road. The devs designed it this way.

Can you justify this.
    When pulling a load of 17K flying I am capped at 32. And when running on land with that same load on the road I can pull it a 50?
    Why am a slower in flight than on land?

Gravity... See you in the funny papers.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by Salis
    When pulling a load of 17K flying I am capped at 32. And when running on land with that same load on the road I can pull it a 50?
    Why am a slower in flight than on land?
    Maybe because of bad aerodynamics?

Beside who tell that the 75 base speed for flight is meant as a road bonus all the time? Any devevloper has stated that? Or is it just a poor guess because it has the same value? My guess all time has been that it is to some kind compansate the missing chances to buff for enhancement of Velocity....

Oh and tell me, when everything without disk is flying that fast - why can I hit a speed of over 200 on the roads?

Joaqim - Multiclassed God on Unity
    "I'm Immortal, I'm Glorious, I'm Supreme, I'm My Saviour"

Beleenda - Goddess of Melee
    "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out"

Why do dragons fly?
    Because they are scared of what they might find on the ground... like Rangers.

So if you can hit 200 on the roads, which i didn't even know about.
    Why so much complaining over a disk which is slower than ground travel in the first place?
    And yes, until a dev makes an official statement I can only guess to the reasons something is the way it is. Science is also a very well thought out GUESS. It is valid until proven otherwise.

Opinions are never valid as 'fact' regardless of any attempt try to claim them as fact. Opinions are just that, opinions. Facts are facts, not opinions dressed up to look like facts because someone says they are. That 200 is for an extremely short period of time, 30 seconds. it takes certain classes and specialized equipment, as well and buffs, potions, etc, and it most certainly is NOT possible dragging a cargo disk, regardless of equipment, buffs, potions or anything else.

My opinion.
    This seems not to deal about the speed in itself, even as you state so, but as a comparison between biped speeds and dragon speeds.
    Well bipeds and dragons aren't comparable, they are too different and any attempt to balance them is destined to fail.
    Dragons have going for them that they can fly, and that after only leveling one class, that they wield a lot of power.
    Bipeds are indeed weaker if only 1 class is leveled, but they can level many classes (not taking into account the time investment needed), and they kick any dragons butt if properly multiclassed. And yes they cannot fly and are earthbound, so a bit slower in the travels.
    Take your pick on what you want to play. But stop trying to compare them.

Reality(that is RL). It has no bearing here.

Dragon disks are not created using tinkering technology alone, but they also incorporate magic. The same magic that allows a huge creature to fly despite not having the wingspan to justify moving said mass so fast.

In reality and according to the story the quest giver gives us, dragon disks are the tinkerer version only modified by a dragon researcher. So, comparing dragon disks and tinkerers disks is a bit silly.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

So if you can hit 200 on the roads, which i didn't even know about.
    Why so much complaining over a disk which is slower than ground travel in the first place?
    And yes, until a dev makes an official statement I can only guess to the reasons something is the way it is. Science is also a very well thought out GUESS. It is valid until proven otherwise.
    Yes it's possible, but only pretty short time - and some adjusted Equipment which doesn't count to my craft outfit.

Well I NEVER complained about that new disk, if you think so, show my the post where I did so.
    And well, a guess is a guess, you can think about it as long as you want, it's still a guess.

and btw. personaly I think the 32 speed is a good value somewhere between road usage and moving over ground.

Joaqim - Multiclassed God on Unity
    "I'm Immortal, I'm Glorious, I'm Supreme, I'm My Saviour"

Beleenda - Goddess of Melee
    "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out"

I myself don't have a problem with it, but Seranthor does.
    And if he starts whining about it being too high. I go japping about it being too low. And yep, it are all opinions, based on elaborate guesses.
    Maybe it would be best if a dev came explaining the reasoning behind the 32 value.

Salis

Frankly, I think the speed is higher because between two points on land a dragon has farther to fly, because they have to move in three dimensions. In order to reach their endpoint, they have to go up, then over, and then back down. Someone walking just goes straight. And yes they can fly close to the ground, but they can't do that without attracting mobs.

(A^2)+(B^2)=(C^2) baby... its that freaking simple, the straight line is always the shortest route. Now argue against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    (A^2)+(B^2)=(C^2) baby... its that freaking simple, the straight line is always the shortest route. Now argue against that.
    Dragons don't travel in a straight line. You are overlooking the obvious. Dragons travel in 3 dimensions that means that the dragon has to go up to an altitude to take it over every obstacle in it's path and then go down once they reach their distination. So it is not in a straight line at least until the devs allow us to somehow pass through terrain.

As as aside Seranthor I just about choked on my coffee when I read the post accusing you of being a fanboi this morning.

OMG Lycan there were even TWO of these *cough* persons *cough* Calling me a fanboi is like calling John Kerry a Neo-Con or calling Pat Robertson a bleeding liberal.

As far as travel the shortest is still a straight line, even in 3 dimensions. However, as you have pointed out sometimes there ARE obstacles in the way that need to be negotiated around.

IMHO.. all dragon CD's should be Identical to biped CD's cept for the flyin part... Speed, capacity, recall, teleport.. they should all be equal... With that said.. I would like to see that Dragons can no longer use biped CD's when Dragon CD's are implemented... Since the Dragons dont want to be "reliant" on Bipeds for anything.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    IMHO.. all dragon CD's should be Identical to biped CD's cept for the flyin part... Speed, capacity, recall, teleport.. they should all be equal... With that said.. I would like to see that Dragons can no longer use biped CD's when Dragon CD's are implemented... Since the Dragons dont want to be "reliant" on Bipeds for anything.
    Makes perfect sense. If and only if there are dragon equivalents. Honestly I think it's really tinkers that should be complaining most about these new disks since they are having some of their business taken away from them. Not that there's a huge demand for cargo disks but a segment of the population will suddenly not need their services.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    I could get behind that

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Not always true. If you are in 2 dimensional space, then yes. In 3 dimensional space, and on a sphere (granted Istaria is not this), an arc tends to be a shorter route. That is why it is quicker to fly up the East Coast of the US and across to Great Brittain than it is to fly straight from say Atlanta to Rome. I didnt believe it was true until I had seen the math done on it.

And shortest route is not always the quickest route. My route could be shorter distance while at the same time you have more speed and on a more curvey route. There is more to factor in than just distance.

But back to the point. Yeah, I thought the talk of it only being a single stack was a little much. I was happy to just have a flying disk. As for 32 speed max is alright. It will work for my purposes, but I will likely just stick to the ground like I have been and keep the road bonus.

Thread Information