Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Soundblaster Drivers or Horizons

Default New Soundblaster Drivers or Horizons

I have a choice to make it seems. Either the new Soundblaster drivers so I can run my video editing software and make my home movies which is the other option of my computer other then gaming, or Horizons. I have confirmed for a fact that I cannot play Horizons with the latest sound drivers for my Audigy 2ZS card since it slows down loading times to the point of taking almost 9 minutes to log in. Then everything plays like a slide show.

So, Horizons or Video editing my home movies?

Unless a dev can inform me of a fix to this problem, I will probably be choosing the video editing software as I feel that is more important to me at this point.

Flozzie

I am going to be reloading my x-fi card tommorrow to see if the fixes they just put in work. If you still have a problem this doesn't sound too good for me either

I am having the same exact problem with the x-fi card.
    Brain: It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob.
    Pinky: You have no idea.

The fixes may work with XFi (they have stated they do), but they do most certainly not work with the Audigy.

There is a compromise, Flozzie. You can upgrade your drivers, then disable the soundcard when you aren't using the video editing software. Disabling/enabling it requires a reboot, I think, so it's a little impractical, but it works. Also, if you don't have a built in sound card, you'll be playing without sound. (Though thanks to other sound issues that might be a good thing at the moment.)
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Flozzie
    I have a choice to make it seems. Either the new Soundblaster drivers so I can run my video editing software and make my home movies which is the other option of my computer other then gaming, or Horizons. I have confirmed for a fact that I cannot play Horizons with the latest sound drivers for my Audigy 2ZS card since it slows down loading times to the point of taking almost 9 minutes to log in. Then everything plays like a slide show.

So, Horizons or Video editing my home movies?

Unless a dev can inform me of a fix to this problem, I will probably be choosing the video editing software as I feel that is more important to me at this point.

Flozzie
    There is currently no fix. They are working on one.

That is the best I can give you.

The best suggestion is tramsan's, disable your sound card when you play and reset each time.

Interesting enough, I got a response after 4 days that said the issue is resolved. However, it is not.

When I use the latest Creative driver for my Audigy 2ZS, it locks up on login until I ctl-alt-del out and kill the horizons.exe process. I have waited 10 minutes before doing this, so it is typical that I have to do it. I then launch again the same way and usually I have to ctl-alt-del out again. I might get a transport error or something during the second or third attempt, but then I am able to launch and log in. Keep in mind, I cannot reboot in between lockups, or it drops all its cache and I start from square one.

Now, I reinstall my original SB driver for Audigy 2ZS and I reboot. First launch, right in without any hastles.

I admit the slide show issues in game were fixed once I can actually get in the game, but having to taskman out and work to get logged in is still a pain and usually eats up 15-20 minutes of playing time.

I'm just worried that they think it is fixed and they are stopping work on it. I answered the support response that it was fixed in 7 minutes, but that was yesterday and still I haven't heard back.

Ophelea

Flozzie,

You received a message stating your Audigy card was fixed? Please PM or send the email to me at [email protected].

Default The X-Fi problem is NOT fixed

I'm still going back and forth with tech support (been 3 weeks+) and have received two exact same responses that say the problem should be fixed. Well, it isn't.

If I try my X-Fi, I have huge delays in logging in, and/or a connection timeout.

If I do get in, I have frequent disconnects.

I tried both Chaos and the Blight. The problem remains. I still can't understand why a sound card would cause connection problems.

I'm back to on-board audio (for the xxx'th time).

I may quit soon.. not just for the X-Fi problems (never had a single problem with the x-fi with 20-40 other games - yes, I have that many), but for the ancient, sloppy, bug-ridden graphics engine. I have a very fast system, and Horizons makes me feel like I'm playing Ultima 7 on a 286 (old school reference, I know). Even U7 at least rendered ALL the graphics at the same time - as opposed to rendering a building or two, waiting a few seconds, then rendering some trees, waiting a few seconds, rendering some npcs, waiting.. etc, etc.

I recently ordered 2 more gigs of ram, just to play this game (stupid, I know). All that did was cause the client to take up even MORE memory before crashing. On two occasions it was taking up 1.4 GIGS of ram. Yes, you read that right. 1.4 gigs+. That's some memory leak.

It's so sad. I feel the game design is so solid too.. there's so much in there. I've played and/or beta tested about 15+ mmorpg's in the last 8 years or so for comparison's sake. I'm only still here because I love playing a dragon - and, flying ROCKS.

Good I'm glad I am not the only one that is still happening too.

Sorry guys your fix DID NOT work.

Keep trying
    Brain: It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob.
    Pinky: You have no idea.

xeorcia

went in the bios and activated my onboard sound card realtek ac97 installed the driver from the web and i still can choose that realtek card ??? something am doing wrong .

Ophelea

ok...look at this thread:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...590#post129590

I wouldn't use your bios, use your device manager.

Also, if you can back up your drivers for the Audigy Card to the original drivers instead of the most recent that MAY fix it.

They're going to be testing fixes for Audigy this weekend/week. This isn't an ETA for a fix...just an update.

xeorcia

Still after installing a ac97 driver from realtek i still dont see any option for that ac97 sound card only my x-fi still there .....

Dotcher

Where are you looking? Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager, or somewhere else?

Also, if it's not listed there, do you see anything under Unknown Devices?
    Last edited by Dotcher; July 2nd, 2006 at 02:03 PM.

xeorcia

Hmmm ... looking now actually no unknown devices thing either , i even checked in the bios and it say ac97 *enabled* , even installed lastest driver still no show anything else i can do or what the reason the ac97 is not appearing in that list weird ??

I know that I have this Audigy 2 problem with one of my systems, and it is not just a Horizons issue. I can't resonably play BF2 with that system either with the sound card enabled. Just glad I dont have to play around with that one much yet, as I still have another one or so that I can utilize till either SB fixes their drivers... or till there is a game workaround for it. Personally.. I think Im gonna go back to an Audigy1 or even get rid of the whole SB line and go to a turtle beach or something... Cant be worse..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Yes, scrapping Creative sounds like a good plan.

The workaround for the Audigy problems is to install an older drver than the latest (which is from the end of 2005). I have an Audigy 2 ZS with a driver from 2003 and HZ works just dandy.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

xeorcia

Wont let me install an old driver because windows want to keep the new one , i removed the x_fi driver completly from scatch and then tried to install the oldest driver on the creative web site , that didnt work either so i install the one from the cd-rom that came with the X-fi box which is a 2005 version still horizon wont acept that either .

xeorcia

Can anyone with a X-fi sound card post which driver version they are using with a working horizon client i really hate playing game with no sound it's kinda bland.... still hoping for a fix really soon.

So will todays patch addres the SB Audigy driver issue?

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Seenu
    So will todays patch addres the SB Audigy driver issue?
    Seenu,

No, there is currently no fix in place. Still testing...

Bug Creative? With a bat (baseball) if you have to?

If for no other reason than I get tired of listening to the sound tests....

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea
    Seenu,

No, there is currently no fix in place. Still testing...

Bug Creative? With a bat (baseball) if you have to?

If for no other reason than I get tired of listening to the sound tests....

Perhaps Creative can help you with the bug, I am sure that they have a vested interest in making sure that thier new drivers work with as many games as possible :-)

Thread Information