Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Soundblaster Drivers or Horizons

Default Re: New Soundblaster Drivers or Horizons

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Norton's is a terrible piece of software, imo. Most users do not need that much protection and Norton's tends to massively slow down your computer especially if running Windows Vista. I had Trend Micro, but that seems to be going in that direction also. Bloated Internet Security packages are completely worthless. Using AVG Free Edition now, very low memory shadow, usually under 20k.
    haha... well.. I had Vista running Norton 2007. I just shot it and put Avast on. I can't honestly tell how much memory it uses since Vista's task manager is all weird, but it certainly uses less cpu time and doesn't whine every few days about system scans like Norton did. AVG is very good also.

That said, both with Avast and AVG I had instances where one would not see a (known to be) infected file and the other did!! I didn't have Norton then; I wonder if that would have seen it. Obviously all packages have had loads of updates since, so hopefully that little chestnut has been fixed.

Rakku

Disgusting!

And I was wondering for weeks why it takes up to 20 (!) minutes to log in with the same PC I played HZ on Unity! Obviously I got that driver-problem too in between... Thanks for the hint! *kicks the Audigy out the window*
    Unitys Eisdrache Nemesis of Helian
    Orders Finiaroth Helian

Quote Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
    And I was wondering for weeks why it takes up to 20 (!) minutes to log in with the same PC I played HZ on Unity! Obviously I got that driver-problem too in between... Thanks for the hint! *kicks the Audigy out the window*
    Same thing happened to me. Pre-EII buyout I was able to log in normally. When I came back after the buyout I had 20 minute login times, 5 minute ports (that use to be nearly instantaneous), and random crashes once every 1 to 1.5 hours. Eventually through reading the forums, some help from Steelclaw, and simple trial and error I narrowed it down to my soundcard. I disabled the soundcard and *poof*, 20 SECOND logins, and 2 to 5 second ports across the board (except when entering an area for the very first time).

I have an Audigy 1. Most other people with this problem had an Audigy 2. I don't think that I updated my soundcard drivers during that year though. In fact, I'm almost certain that I didn't. So I don't know what changed between July 2006 and Sept 2007 to screw up my soundcard.

*shrugs* I have a new computer now anyway, so it isn't that big a deal (as soon as SP1 comes out anyway:P).

Please try the kX Project drivers (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com) if you have a card with the EMU10k1 or EMU10k2 chipsets (the majority of the Audigy series of cards, and a few others).

I use these drivers because they give me much more control over the true power of the Audigy series of cards which is extremely useful when working with various studio software for audio production. Due to this extra fidelity, the mixer isn't necessairly as straightforward to use as the regular Creative Labs Audio Console application. The following guide by Lex Nahumury is very helpful for newcomers - http://members.home.nl/nahutec/kxtutor/kxtutor.html.

The latest release build of these drivers (5.00.3541) work excellently with Horizons. I encourage those of you who have put up with disabled audio hardware so you can play Horizons to try this offering from the kX Project. Also if you are able to offer contributable skills to the continued development of the kX Project then please do. If you aren't a developer, don't worry, you can always donate to the project

Thread Information