Thread: Out of Virtual Memory

Default Out of Virtual Memory

I can't post my msinfo and dxdiag at the moment because I'm a work, but here are my system specs:

Windows XP SP2
    Intel Celeron D 3.06ghz
    Geforce 6600 256 meg graphics card
    2 Gigs ram running dual channel

Problem:

After approximately 6 hours of being logged in, the game closed with an "out of virtual memory" error. Now, I'm aware that 6 hours is a long time to be logged in, but obviously with 2 gigs of ram and a 4 gig pagefile...I don't expect to be running low on virtual memory regardless of how long I'm logged in. I immediately logged back in without rebooting the computer, and crashed again 20 minutes later with no error message.

In addition to that crash the lag when loading textures, like when I first enter an area, is ridiculous. If I can run Everquest (I play daily), with it's antiquated and inefficient coding, with little to no lag on nearly top end settings, it's reasonable to assume I should be able to run Horizons with little to no lag on near bottom end settings.

You arent alone in having memory leak eventually game gets to the point where i start having in game freezing and or drops if i manage to actually get back to dektop with out haveing to hard crash system my system is telling me that i do not have enough virtual memory left They have definately improved the leakage but it still needs a lot more work in that area
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

Oddly for me, I have very little memory leak, I can stay logged in for 8 hours with not a big slow down at all. Usually I have big memory leak problems too, maybe its the fast I have to keep my sound off in this client.

I keep my sound off too, but so I can listen to my iTunes playlist, and I can stayed logged in for up to 8 hours with no problem too. Although when I do crash back to desktop I normally get 2-3 crashes very soon after each other unless I reboot my pc.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    Oddly for me, I have very little memory leak, I can stay logged in for 8 hours with not a big slow down at all. Usually I have big memory leak problems too, maybe its the fast I have to keep my sound off in this client.
    It's funny I was think thinking the other day when I was reading a thread about the Soundblaster problems and thinking that my old pc had an Audigy card in it and I had real bad memory leaking. I don't have any noticable memory leaking going on since I got my new machine which uses the onboard soundcard. I'm wondering if this is a coincidence or not. I was thinking it was the new pc but even with double the ram and much faster cpu and video card I would still see some leakage. I'm sure a lot of it could also be attributed to client improvements but some still have leaking going on.

Before the newer client I had numerous out of memory issues, especially since I tend to recall and port a lot and that on a 2 Gig system.
    However as of late *knocks wood* I haven't really had a single out of memory, so I think the leakage is at least getting better.

Greetings,
    There is a new client that will hit Blight shortly that will greatly reduce these issues.
    -Reyem
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Default Memory leak is STILL there

Quote Originally Posted by Reyem TG
    Greetings,
    There is a new client that will hit Blight shortly that will greatly reduce these issues.
    -Reyem
    Every time I hear something official like this, I get excited and try the game again, both Blight and Chaos, but the memory leaks are far from gone.

As far as it not happening to some people and it also happening to others, it sounds like it may be very graphics card and/or sound card dependent, if not other dependencies.

I recently purchased two more gigs of ram, now at 3, and all it did was allow the game to take up even more ram before a crash. I checked it a couple times when it was running very slowly, and it was up at over 1.4 GIGS. No typo there.

Ophelea

Ok, I'm not a tech so Smeglor may come and slap me but I believe the game is designed to use as much memory as available. So yes, the more you make available, the more it will use.

Adding more means it will use more.

That being the case, there are some optimizations coming soon.

*looks sheepish*

I am such an idiot, and I have to apologize for jumping to conclusions and not thoroughly checking things out before coming here and posting in a fit of frustration.

I "defrag" my page file by turning it off and defragging the hard drive, then turning the page file back on. I'll let you guess which step I forgot the last time. Did you guess the part about turning the page file back on? Yep..that'd be the problem, no page file = out of virtual memory.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. I turned my page file back on and now things are running much smoother. No crashes yet.

Thread Information