Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: mounting

I think dragon riding would be really nice. It would certainly attract more players!

However, Drae would probably only let the Saris and Sslik ride on her back, or the occasional Fiend. =)

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Blog Entries

I think that is one of the reason i do agree with it. It could attract players, add some interaction on the roleplaying standard, and make some plots.
    So dragons who do have riders, well, really do have riders then, hehe.

However I guess maybe why they haven't done it yet, is because they have to do all that lovely coding in order to make it work.. hehe, maybe we players of the game should try to figure that out.. o.O anyone do codeing? XD

Smile Dragon riding/attacking

I think it would be really cool if bi-peds could cast spells and attack from a dragons back. What do you guys think?

would be cool, as would dragons attacking from air, but i think it'd make the game too easy (melee mobs stand no chance) and probably won't ever happen. I'd love to swoop down and leave my claw marks on an enemy as i pass by though

Bi-Ped rider: "Wait... this isn't the direction of Eastern Blight mobs..."

Dragon: "No, it's not." smiling with a toothy grin. "I am stopping by my lair for a little snack."

Bi-Ped swallows hard wondering what's the snack going to be
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Coign

Quote Originally Posted by neva
    But it be interesting, diffently. I mean if you could give rides, it make it easier to get naka duskael to pay you some money or something, you give them a swift lift to where ever, and look, money!
    ka-ching!
    Bah, It is a sad day to see a dragon so greedy he would pimp himself out for money.

It is understandable to bring your soldiers to the battle, it is a disgrace to ********** yourself out for money.

That being said, I would not mind having the ability to bring my pawns to the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachyattacky
    I think it would be really cool if bi-peds could cast spells and attack from a dragons back. What do you guys think?
    Got to agree with you. A dragon biped team would be very cool. It could also be very powerful depending on the dragon's equipment and the biped's class. A melee dragon + healer biped could be very powerful. There's probably other combinations which would work very well together too.

It would be something to get used to. If the biped is riding the dragon, the dragon has to decide where to go. If they're in the middle of the fight decisions may have to be made very quickly. They might have to work hard at working together as a team. This is a place where I could see Teamspeak, Skype, or something similar being very useful.

There ought to be some limitations. For example, the biped should be just as limited as the dragon when they are in flight. I.e., when in flight the biped can't do much of anything.

The other place where this would be very useful is for getting bipeds to places which are hard to reach on foot, such as some locations in the Satyr islands or in the Eastern Blight.

Dragon riding would NOT be extremely useful for getting bipeds places faster. This isn't like druid porting in EQ1. Perhaps a straight line flight might be quicker in some cases the portalling or running along the ground, but in most cases it won't be all THAT much of an improvement. Dragons better not get their hopes up over a new source of income.

I think the source of income would be from players that never and probably would ever.... play a dragon, but want to view the world from the eyes of a flying dragon, since they won't be able to.

Fraps videos withstanding, nothing beats being able to cruise anywhere you want in Istaria untouched (barring harpies... which I hope brings a risk to flying dragons, making flight fun and at the same time dangerous depending on the areas travelled)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    I think the source of income would be from players that never and probably would ever.... play a dragon, but want to view the world from the eyes of a flying dragon, since they won't be able to.

Fraps videos withstanding, nothing beats being able to cruise anywhere you want in Istaria untouched (barring harpies... which I hope brings a risk to flying dragons, making flight fun and at the same time dangerous depending on the areas travelled)
    True, flight is HZ is really something; especially when you first experience it.

However, I for one expect to be giving lots of free rides to bipeds, especially when/if dragon riding is first released. Nobody's going to have to pay me for a ride (although tips are always appreciated, if not in coin then in hoardables ). Later I may cut back -- especially giving rides to strangers -- when I want to do other things and it starts to get annoying. But for a few weeks I'd most likely be doing little else but giving rides to bipeds. Also, anyone I encounter who's new to the game would DEFINATELY be given the opportunity for a dragon ride from me.

Harpies? Did the devs mention that? It would be awesome if there were flying monsters. It would be even more awesome if we could fight them while airborne.

I could be bribed with hoard... just be careful how you feed the hoard to me... could lose a hand like that... or an arm... maybe a bit of leg... hmm...

Make sure you bring ketchup, too.

I won't carry any Saris. Sorry. You guys have claws and I like my scales unscratched, not to mention you might bring 'little friends' who decide to stay with me after you leave and I'm allergic to fleapowder and lavender.

I know that I for one, would be a very trustable drake =) And I'd greatly welcome this opportunity. Though... I suppose that fits... I've no pride in my heritage >.> Only in my actions and giving to those in need.

Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie, house, back yard. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vidken
    I would carry hatchlings and only hatchlings.

... by the scruff of the neck.

*starts to cry*

wot gives?? wot's wrong wit us Hatchies??
    u hink ur much better than us do you cos u can fly??

well well well. i'll give u a piece of my mind if we coudl have pvp i woudl boy o boy. i woudl walk up to you and jump up in your face and blow a rasberry!!! lol

but i recon that's a good idea like the whole giving bi-peds rides? like maybe NOT a sadel. but if they wanna climb up there then go ahead. no one has a gun to your head, but i woudl liek to see it happen on me at least.. lol

Dragon TAXI!!!! ha ha ha

wot's so wrogn with givign bi-peds rides any way??? i dont' get it. and as the start of the thread..

wot is one of those.

Narkla thingies?? wot is it??

Love Si!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Screech
    I could be bribed with hoard... just be careful how you feed the hoard to me... could lose a hand like that... or an arm... maybe a bit of leg... hmm...

Make sure you bring ketchup, too.

I won't carry any Saris. Sorry. You guys have claws and I like my scales unscratched, not to mention you might bring 'little friends' who decide to stay with me after you leave and I'm allergic to fleapowder and lavender.

ROFL

i'd carry around the lil farries. Pixies soz. i'd carry them about. cos you know.. if they go missign no one woudl notice for a few day's. lol he he he

i'd make the ladder run up past my mouth and all. you'd have to put my pay in my mouth and all. and be careful if i'm sick at the time i migth sneeze and accidently u know. swallow you whole. *evil laugh inserted here*

Quote Originally Posted by Consecrated.ECSS

*starts to cry*

wot gives?? wot's wrong wit us Hatchies??
    u hink ur much better than us do you cos u can fly??

well well well. i'll give u a piece of my mind if we coudl have pvp i woudl boy o boy. i woudl walk up to you and jump up in your face and blow a rasberry!!! lol

but i recon that's a good idea like the whole giving bi-peds rides? like maybe NOT a sadel. but if they wanna climb up there then go ahead. no one has a gun to your head, but i woudl liek to see it happen on me at least.. lol

Dragon TAXI!!!! ha ha ha

wot's so wrogn with givign bi-peds rides any way??? i dont' get it. and as the start of the thread..

wot is one of those.

Narkla thingies?? wot is it??

Love Si!!!
    Naka-duskeal (sp?) are what dragons call bipeds (means Unscaled I think). But in general in the game lore, dragons know they're superior to bipeds, so being used as a common mount (like a horse) would be showing bipeds they're superior to us. Of course people rp differently all the time, but just on what you can read on the site, that's the jist of it. Hence some dragons would only give hatchies a ride (as they're worthy) and others would only allow bipeds on as baggage in their claws.

oh. get it now.

so Naka-Duskeal. is how we should refeer to the bi-peds. then??

That's the old dragon name for them. I think it means "unscaled ones." You can refer to them anyway you like. I like to refer to the gnome style bipeds as snacks

Seriously though, while I don't know what EI will do, I presume they won't be bringing a big change in philosophy. Which would mean that if they ever put in dragon riding nobody would force you to let a biped on your back, so you can just opt out if you choose to. But I think it would be cool and I intend to do so. If they let bipeds fight and use spells (at least while the dragon they're on is on the ground), then you can sit there all proud about not letting a biped on your back. Meanwhile I will let a biped healer on my back before a big fight. My very own personal healer. Sounds pretty good to me. Lets see who does the best then.

Letting a biped on your back is no more insulting then it was in the world of Pern.
    Last edited by Goriax; July 24th, 2006 at 03:19 AM.

The original plan for ridable Dragons, as I recall it from long ago:

1) It would be a mutual acceptance thing, neither side forced into it.
    2) Air to Air combat was on the deeeep pony list, and originally was not expected for a couple of years. That eventually meant never, as the staff dwindled to below the levels that could accomplish it. It represents no small amount of code changes.
    3) It would not be an unfair advantage, considering that when certain critters root a Dragon it pulls them out of the sky. If that were how all roots worked, and if critters could target the rider individually, then that would be even more balanced. Imagine flying along with a Bi-Ped and having them snatched off with a root ;-) Then you would have to figure out if you wanted to save them or enjoy the show... Such a dilema!

I am in favor of mutal agreement riding. There are a few close friends I wouldn't mind giving a lift too, and my wife is a given. Although, if Dryads were given limited flight like they should be then I wouldn't care as much about ridable Dragons.

But as someone else mentioned, if an adequate amount of nice shiney hoard were offered then I might consider flying someone else. I am Ancient and proud, though, so it would have to be a significant amount, and perhaps not even then.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Tsujigiri

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi-Dragon
    can the naka-duskael mount us?
    You could carry them in your mouth.

While I believe the bi-ped can thrive under the gentle but firm guidance of dragonkind, and am prone to coax and teach rather than using blunt force to impress such lessons, the fires of the world will grow cold and the moon will fall from the sky before I ever, ever put myself into the position being a mount for a biped. Tolerance does not equate to self humiliation!

<ooc> Actually I think the whole mechanics of the thing would foster a good bit more interaction and open the door for some good lore and questing storyline to be added, an act of evolving even. That said, my own Dragon would have to be pressed by dire circumstances indeed to back down from his stance.

I wouldn't mind dragon riding, since I am a hardcore Eragon/Eldest fan... I also favor the idea of being able to drop them 100 feet from the air to their doom. *cackles, rubbing her claws together* (I wonder how many bipeds will spam /mount when/if riding comes out...)

I don't think you will be able to carry hatchlings, even half-giants are smaller than them, but I also wonder if you can carry other dragons in Khutit form...

All in all, I can't wait O_O
    Last edited by Lunarya; July 26th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

Thread Information