Thread: My character is stuck permanently, because of a quest!

Default My character is stuck permanently, because of a quest!

When I log in my character Czarevna, she cannot move, she has permanently applied to her, the "No Entry" root.

It happened during the Oriskaly's (sp?) Wedding quest.
    (For the people who haven't done this quest, you port through a special gate in a house to the "Gnomish Wedding Grounds" and appear on a landing pad. There on the pad you are immobilized with the "No Entry" effect on you, untill you speak with an NPC, named Williwaw, who stands next to the pad. After speaking to him, he releases the root on you and you go attend the wedding.)

She attended the wedding and used the vial on Orik, then got ported back to Genevia without first giving away the ring.

(My friend told me i could use the vial on him, and also give him the ring. My question to him was, do I save or prevent the wedding, he said "both". Essentially using the magic vial on him would stop the wedding, and giving him the wedding ring would allow it to continue.)

So, I went back to the uncles house and ported back to the wedding site, and on the telepad is where i got stuck. The guy Williwaw will only say "OH, thank all the gods - a civilized person! Hey, this is an emergency! I'm Williwas Carnalis, Darshana's cousin, and her idiot brother Oriskaly is here marying a Gnome right now, and I've come all this way to stop it! You know where it's happening?" This is all he says no matter how many times i close the window and greet him. I tried to recall and could not, and the root stayed on me. So, i exited the game and at the login screen I hit the "recall" button, and it says "character sucessfully recalled!" So i log in, and im in new brommel at my bindspot, and im all happy. Then, to my horror, I realize the spell is still on me and won't fade and can't be dispelled!

I created case ticket number 82704, under the Support / Technical Support / Can't load Character/ Stuck Issues section, on the 24th and have yet to get a reply. (It is the evening of the 27th now.)

This is really sad to me, in Dark Age of Camelot, I got my new character stuck twice in the same week and waited an average of 5 minutes each time for them to be relocated. This game could dominate other MMORPGs if it only had better support.

I wonder
    1) Can any dev/customer service person help me out and get my character unstuck?
    2) Anyone else ever have this happen to them? Is the bug reproducable or was I just really unlucky?

Ophelea

I can't get you moved tonight. But I'll get it done in the morning and find out what's up with the ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna
    1) Can any dev/customer service person help me out and get my character unstuck?
    2) Anyone else ever have this happen to them? Is the bug reproducable or was I just really unlucky?
    First, your biggest mistake was trying to not make a choice in the quest. You have to do EITHER, not both. You bugged your own character by trying to do both quests. What happened when you went back into the area after advancing the quest past the point of using the vial is you triggered Williwaw's greeting, including the pulse of his root spell. But the quest can't advance because, well, you've already advanced beyond it.

Now, this situation has already been fixed on Blight (the test server). The root has a timer on it. To be honest, I didn't really anticipate people breaking the quest in the creative ways they have, which is why the timer wasn't there in the first place. When you go through Williwaw's dialogue and agree to take his quest (as is planned), he removes his root effect. Since you can't advance that dialogue a second time, well, you are stuck.

So, really, what you ran into isn't a bug. Its a creative mess, I'll grant you. But it isn't a bug.
    Last edited by Velea; June 28th, 2006 at 03:06 AM.

Tsarevna, I am sorry for the difficulty you have experienced with this quest. As Velea stated, the augmentation "No Entry" does indeed have a timer on Blight and it should be fixed on the Live servers very soon.

However, as we realize you do not wish to wait for that time, I have removed the "No Entry" augmentation from your character and have replaced it with the "Permission Granted" augmentation. You can now go forward with the quest!
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Yay!

Thanks so much for helping me out, I can move Czarevna around now just like normal. Special thanks to Klaus.

Does anyone else find it ironic that my Satyr (with racial trait of "unrootable) got perma-rooted?

My 2 cents about the quest:

Instead of just making that root on the timer, I'd change what Williwaw does as well. When you use the portal to go to the wedding grounds (after having been there before and participating in the wedding), have Williwaw recognize that it is your 2nd time there. He should say "Hey, show's over pal, move along!" or "Go see my sister Darshana, run along now" or something to that effect....

Then, he ports you back to your bindspot. He must do the porting because, well that "no Entry" root disables your ability to recall.

This way, a person wont need to log out of the game, hit the recall button on the log-in page or bother you developer guys with confusion over anything.

There is really no reason for you to go back to the wedding grounds a second time if you've gone past Williwaw the first time. The reason we put the timer on the quest is for people who might accidently drop from game in between getting the root from Williwaw and completing his dialogue, and also be stuck and have to use the out of game "recall" to log in.

You actually ran into a secondary problem with the quest, one I am trying to duplicate. You should not have been able to get in to the wedding grounds at all a second time after using the vial. When you complete that portion of the quest, the portal itself should go back to "Unavailable". I'm trying to duplicate the bug you found, in other words.

Once that bug is fixed, there won't be a need to do what you've suggested because you won't be able to cheat the system and try to do both quests.

Glad you're back to moving around.

I really wasn't running out there with a cheat the system mentality, it was a sort of mix of confusion and curiosity. I had a really hard time locating the characters of the quest, because, while the dialog box of quest characters might give a hint about the location of the next person to talk to, the actual quest journal doesn't contain that info. If I talked to one npc, went to bed, and woke up the next morning then tried to continue the quest, i'd curse myself for not taking a screenshot of the dialog box before and start asking on the player help channels for the loction of npcs.

I was able to have a friend log in, so I spoke to him instead of the help channel. He had done the quest before (he said), and I told him it was funny that I needed to decide to halt or move forward the wedding. I asked, what should I do? He says "you do both." He didn't say you "can" do both he just said that. So I'm thinking to myself, oh, maybe both options get executed anyway, to blow the lid off of everybody's scheming, maybe it doesnt matter which option you choose first, o well i'l try the vial and see what happens.

He said "do it fast" you will probably be too slow to both break the vial and give the ring. He said if I was too slow, to simply go back.
    Sure enough, I do the vial thing, tried to keep up with the changing dialog of the npcs and the journal, and I got ported out before I was done reading what I was supposed to do.

(Here's where the bug might be able to be reproduced.)

I appear back in the "real world" and look at my quest journal, and a step is still needing to be done, but it isn't the last step on the list. The last step on the list is checked off.

So I get the impression that I failed to do something back in the wedding grounds. I also knew that stopping the wedding was the thing I did, and I missed the bus on letting it go forward again, o well.
    The quest step that is not checked off is the one where I give the ring to Darshana. I thought I saw her at the wedding, so I thought I needed to go back there and give it to her, (because I had completely forgotten where I had seen her before in the real world. And the quest journal didn't remind me where her location is, would be nice if it said "return to Darshana on New Trisimus".)

So, I go back into the portal to go find Darshana in the wedding grounds, and that's when I got hit with the root and stuck. As I was stuck there, I began to ask people where Darshana was at, and that's when someone mentioned "she's the quest starter" then it was a really big "DOH!"

Oh, I didn't mean that you were purposely trying to "cheat the system". Just that you shouldn't have been able to go back into the wedding grounds at all after you got to that point.

And yes, it does appear that the "Give a few seconds" message and the "Return to Darshana" messages are appearing out of order for some reason in the quest journal.

Default Hmm

Was hoping the screenshot would help in some way.

I noticed that Darshana is now willing to give me the quest again, I could try to do what i did and recreate the bug (with developer supervision of course!).

She's going to give you the quest again?!?! This is on one of the live servers, right?

That's a big oops if so.

I ask because she does have dialogue after the quest is all done when you greet her again, and if I remember right it is quite similiar to the quest starting dialogue, but I've never been able to actually get the quest again.

Can you PM me with your character name and what server you play on? I'll see if I can't meet you in game sometime and check this out with you again.

Thanks.

Yeah I got the finishing dialog where Darshana mentions Half-Giants wanting to train me...and then she tells me to scram.

I revisited her later to see if she had a new quest for me, and just greeting her gave me the wedding quest again. I promptly deleted that quest and ran away screaming.

Thread Information