Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Veteran Players Matter

Default Why Veteran Players Matter

In view of several active threads of late, I think it wise to reflect for at least a few minutes on just why it is that veteran players like Archebold--like many of us--matter to this game, and why they should matter to the developers and owners of Horizons.

We're the folks who are your "word of mouth"--your best and cheapest advertising. We're the guys and gals who brave the wilds of other general game boards and trumpet the great improvements made since Horizons' less-than-stellar launch, who tell our friends and gaming colleagues that they really ought to give the "new and improved" Horizons a try.

We're the folks who tutor and mentor the newly arrived players, and encourage them to convert from trial status to paid subscriptions. We set up and populate the New Player channel, and fill in the countless blanks in the game's woefully inadequate "manual." We're the guys and gals who keep the New Trismus consignor stocked with affordable--shoot, downright cheap--gear that every new player will want and need. And we're the folks who will drop whatever we're doing to dash to New Trismus, or Sslanis, or Kion, to help some new player out. I daresay we're one of the primary reasons Horizons' conversion rate is as high as it is.

We're the folks who have multiple accounts. We have multiple plots and lairs and, thus, have multiple accounts in order to possess them. We have earned the coin to buy multiple plots and lairs. New players take months to earn enough to buy just a single plot or lair, and they're not about to buy another account unless and until they can afford to own two.

We're the folks who have been there, done that, and gotten the T-shirt. We're the guys and gals who, because of our long experience in the game, are the first to spot and report the inevitable bugs that crop up with every patch. We've been around the block so many times we're the first to recognize that something isn't working right--be it a bug or exploit--and promptly report it.

We're the heart and soul of the game's community. We're the ones that spend our game time building world projects that benefit every player in the game, not just ourselves. We're the guys and gals who go into "Borg" mode with every single event to rapidly build whatever structure needs construction, to hunt down and slay whatever critters need whacking, to move the event along. For the benefit of everyone. We're the folks who will come up with coins out of inventory (and cash out of pocket) to buy another subscription to buy another plot or lair on the auction block, just to prevent plot looters from stripping all the structures on a plot that is invaluable to the community.

And yes, as Aamer and others have aptly observed, we are indeed the guys and gals who saved this game with our faith and, more importantly, our subscriptions during Horizons' darkest days. We hung on when AE went into bankruptcy. Shoot, some of us--more than a few of us--actually bought another subscription or two just to help your cash flow. We swallowed hard when the merger wiped out our plots, and patiently suffered through homelessness for two months waiting for the plot auctions.

And yet . . . .

We asked for Fluff--fun stuff we could blow our hard-earned coin on. You tripled Nadia's component prices.

We asked for the implementation of missing and long-overdue Tier VI resources. You gave us two radiant wisps.

We asked why there were only a couple of radiant wisps in the game. You told us simply that that's the way it's going to be and we just need to deal with it. And then you stripped out the long-existing Tier VI resources to next to nothing.

We asked you to proactively communicate with us. You told us that "ignorance is bliss."

We asked you to please explain why you decided to make all these changes, these subtractions from the game. You told us that there weren't any changes at all, that this was the game's design all along. Pardon me, but to use an appropos aphorism common in my neck of the woods: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Before you settle in on some cynical business judgment that veterans will eventually leave any online game anyway, that new players alone are this game's future, and thus your veteran player base can be disregarded and tossed aside, consider this for just a moment: We're not just your Yesterday, we're still your Today, and with just a bit of communication, with just a few bones thrown our way here and there, we'll be the core of your Tomorrow.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Eloquently said.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Amen!
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

Well written Tantalyr! I totally agree 100% on this post!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Beatiful Tant. Too bad it falls on deaf ears.
    Brain: It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob.
    Pinky: You have no idea.

it brought a tear to me eye...

Well said
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Very well said indeed. I love this game, and although I have been gone for a long while now I still check the forums daily just praying to find something that would make it worth playing again. All I find is anger and frustration now, and after seeing my closest in game friend driven off, I think I can even stop looking for a reason to come back.

Arch if ya read this I hope you find happiness in whatever game you choose to play
    Malacast
    100/100 Dragon
    Drizzat
    140/186 rated Sslisk

Maelstrom
    Order

Tantalyr your right on the mark here.

The problem as I see it is Tulga either doesn't care or is ignorant.

Rocinante

Atmashekti

Bravo. Tantalyr this post should be posted up on the walls of every MMPORPGs development team's place of work. by the coffee machine, the water cooler and above the hand washing sinks!

Ophelea

I agree with you, heart and soul, everything you've said, right up to you "and yet..."

You speak eloquently and I applaud you.

And you are being heard. It's the weekend. Please, take a break from this and let us talk about it on Monday?

Nicely said and totally true
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Dravatar

As always, Tanatlyr, very well said. Veteran players *do* matter.

They have exactly the same weight as any other, no more and certainly no less.

Very well said Tantalyr. Here's hoping that Ophelea's we'll talk on Monday actually means we'll talk on Monday....

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss
    Very well said Tantalyr. Here's hoping that Ophelea's we'll talk on Monday actually means we'll talk on Monday....
    Doubting Thomas...uhhh Lycaunoss...

Amen Bruthah Friend Tant!!

And to that list add...

...the nerf to Ancient Size with no explanation given, despite the pages and pages and pages begging for one..

The Veteran players are LOOKING to give the benefit of the doubt, to have a kernal of belief that things are being changed for the best - its only the human nature of rationalization and ego syntonic behavior.

Yet the bone again and again is not thrown. When it really would be so easy.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Well said Tantalyr

I won't hold my breathe on a dialog on Monday. Blue doesn't become me worth a ********.

As to Vets only having the same weight as newbs, I agree from the monetary standpoint NOW! But we Vets and our money helped this game get to NOW! Nadia's price increases I think is a good thing. T6 tactical nuke I can live with, make it rare? Ok fine. The slobberknocker dropped on T5 is ridiculous and could arguably be claimed to be aimed directly at the high lvl portion of the player base. Over an hour hunting the mithril canyons to see 3 whole golems?? If the TG wants the vets gone, for whatever reason, they sure as hell found the way to do it.
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Stoker

Well said indeed ,

I dont post much cause not the vocal type But sure would be nice to see developers reponse and reassurance in this area <nudges David>

Gzman (Saris)
    Stoker (hatchling)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea
    Doubting Thomas...uhhh Lycaunoss...
    No ma'am, not doubting, just extremely conditioned by TG actions to react in a certain way.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie, house, back yard. lol

hehe!!!

godo on ya... normally i CAN'T stand reading i mean it i hate reading my eyes hurt if i read for more than liek 5 lines but your post caugght a spot for me.. Good Job and well written

i'm a n00by my self.. and it's like INSPIRING to know that we got ppl here form liek the startish. lol and still aorund. how cool i'd go and play now but there semms to be a problem loggign in. lol

but good job man...

Thread Information