Thread: Should Americans, in Lebanon

Default Should Americans, in Lebanon

pay for their evacuation?

Seems an old law states just this, but congress is trying to change it.

I have various thoughts on this issue.

Americans have to pay for an ambulance to recieve emergency care, would this fall along the lines of an emergency to get out of Lebanon? Both issues are , indeed, emergencies.

Very confusing issue here, me thinks. ;( I haven't decided either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    pay for their evacuation?

Seems an old law states just this, but congress is trying to change it.

I have various thoughts on this issue.

Americans have to pay for an ambulance to recieve emergency care, would this fall along the lines of an emergency to get out of Lebanon? Both issues are , indeed, emergencies.

Very confusing issue here, me thinks. ;( I haven't decided either way.
    I'm of the opinion that no one should have to pay to be evacuated, would we ask the hurricane victims to pay their evacuation costs? or tsunami victims?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Default This is true

BUT, congress did pass this law to begin with.

Why on earth they did this, is beyond me. The government stated that most likely, the folks will get bills, but they will go unpaid.

Our taxes pay for it. Katrina was a huge failure, lets hope this one wont be a failure. And look at all the loss of cash going to the wrong places for Katrina as well. I don't think this one evacation can be exploited!

If you choose to go to a politically unstable area, with violence as part of a way of life, should you pay to exit that area when violence threatens you?

If you chose to live in a place where nature may destroy your home, should you pay to exit when destruction is upon you?

The first one, you have some control over. The second, you have much less control (tornados in New York, anyone?).

Should the government be responsible for both cases? I think I can understand the reasoning behind the law. In fact, there are several states that charge the rescuee for search and rescue costs, or a portion thereof.

lebanon has been rather politically stable the last 6 years.

Incidents overseas can happen anywhere without warning, even if certain incidents are more prone elsewhere. Should they have gone to Indonesia to stay out of the political danger?

besides, likely most of those people had good compelling reasons to be there.

Myself, I expect my tax dollars to be put to good use saving and protecting citizens of my country. This is about as clear an example of that as possible.

Well of course Americans should pay for their own evacuations - I mean, we need the tax payer's money to fight a war in Iraq and support foreign govts around the world...

US is the richest and largest economy in the world - we should pay TRIPLE for eveything and everyone darnit!

Ugh - Republican Administration is gonna take a bath on this - you watch. This is gonna get ugly if people die because of the slow response. Come on, France (which is about the size of Texas) has just as many people in Lebanon and most of them are out or will be shortly.

American Politicians need to stop fighting amongst themselves or taking a one-sided stance all the time and start doing what's right for the country - that goes for BOTH parties.
    Last edited by Bulgrim StoneCleaver; July 19th, 2006 at 01:23 AM.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Double post
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

lets not forget that most of those there have duel citizenship, there both Americans and lebanons. Those with duel citizenship are more lebanon than American.

Default Oh ya

They are already paying dearly for the *slow* response.

Bottom line, I just hope these folks get out safely. The rest is immaterial.

The Yanks will get theirs out too, at no small risk to serving personel to do it, but that *is* what comes with the job.

A note on the US law about requiring payment: that law pre-dates Smith vs Rusk <sic>, the ruling that formally recognized the right of multiple citizenship to USA nationals.
    I am called Yuusuke...

Akiyama Yuusuke yonsei
    The Annatar, on Order

What happens if someone couldn't pay? Does that mean the person would have to stay and probably be killed?

I am totally against billing those people for a catastrophe they couldn't do anything to prevent or take security measures to avoid.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Quote Originally Posted by snickel
    What happens if someone couldn't pay? Does that mean the person would have to stay and probably be killed?

I am totally against billing those people for a catastrophe they couldn't do anything to prevent or take security measures to avoid.
    From what I've been able to understand, regardless of ability to pay you'll be evacuated if you desire to leave.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

For this thread, please keep in mind 3 important facts.

1. Beruit is about as safe as any large American city even with the Israeli air strikes on the edges.

2. American citizens were warned to not go to this country due to the very issues it has.

3. People do whatever they want to do.

If a person or family goes into harms way, they should then be responsible for getting themselves out. For way too long, non-thinking people have gotten themselves into trouble and then sat around waiting for the government to save their carcuses.

Sometime in the far future, when the world becomes civilized, these issues should not exist.

Heres another sad situation. Of course we want them safe. But lets not forget they went to work there because the money is good. They have plenty of money to get out. That was there decision.

Its a risk many decide to take. Yes we should get them out. But If I were in there shoes I would get out asap and if that ment I had to pay for a way out myself rather then wait anf hope, I'll pay my way.

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge99
    For this thread, please keep in mind 3 important facts.

1. Beruit is about as safe as any large American city even with the Israeli air strikes on the edges.

2. American citizens were warned to not go to this country due to the very issues it has.

3. People do whatever they want to do.

If a person or family goes into harms way, they should then be responsible for getting themselves out. For way too long, non-thinking people have gotten themselves into trouble and then sat around waiting for the government to save their carcuses.

Sometime in the far future, when the world becomes civilized, these issues should not exist.
    Ad 1.) The civilian death toll has risen to 300 in Beirut since the beginning of the israeli attacks. (Remind me never to visit any large american city, I had no idea it was so dangerous)

Ad 2.) In these last years Beirut had become a thriving city, plenty of tourism, many foreigners decided not only to visit there but also to settle there. Because they thought that Beirut had finally achieved a status of peace and things were certainly looking like that. If the USA indeed gave a warning to their citizens they must have known (or guessed) more than the governments of other western nations who didn't warn their citizens.

Ad 3.) If people are held to be responsible for finding themselves in a crisis region even though it was on its way to stability when they went there, the near and middle east, africa, former sovyet union, india and china should be no-go areas. Forget any attempt to do business there... what? The US still do not want to lose these customers for their products? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    1) 300/10days = 30 people a day. Heh, that's less than the number of people that die from traffic accidents every day in any large city
    Lets assume then, that traffic stopped completely in Beirut after bombings started -- otherwise we would have to add that number to those of the traffic victims, wouldn't we?

I tried to find any source for data on daily traffic fatalities in US cities because that number of 30 per day seems way high -- maybe you could help me there?

Default Well

One family, thusfar, has had to pay 17 k for their trip from Beirut to the US. Dunno how they traveled though, whether by private or the military.

I wonder if people who live there get extra hazard pay?

$17K to get out of that place? Hmmm... A book deal when that family gets home would probably take care of that expense. One of those books that you hear getting all sorts of plugs by folks like Larry King and Bill O'Reilley.

"Coming up next, the remarkable true story of one family's escape from war-torn Beirut. We speak with them live. You won't want to miss this! And later in the program, we examine the terrifying phenomena of flaming pants."

Dravatar

Our constitution says the federal government should "provide for the common defense." To the best of my knowledge (and its been awhile since American Government class) it does not specify A) against what threat(s) or B) where.

Private enterprise is above and beyond a governmental service "baseline", in my opinion. Public school is paid for by taxes. You pay for private school. Most agree private schools supply a superior product, yet the government doesn't guarantee us the "best" of something, only "adaquate" according to its own rules.

Using the above thoughts, I would think evacuees would not have to pay for governmental evacuation. Of course, they may not be the first ones out on a plane or boat, either. The threat of possibilities while waiting for the government to act may well be worth engaging private enterprise for services.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    traffic did stop completely in Beirut when the bombings started. The streets are bare.
    Still, that number of fatal traffic accidents for a large american city (30 per day that you stated in comparison) seems way too high. I try to find reliable sources but all I came up with point to numbers of at most 1/10 of that magnitude... Thats why I asked you to substantiate that claim.

Thread Information