Thread: Need Help- game crashing

Default Need Help- game crashing

I sent in a support case "Ticket 5769" But with the transfer of the game i fear my ticket will go unanswer for a while.

So if any one can help I am open for advise

Problem:
    The issue I am having is that every time i start HZ now all my fans kick into full speed and are running at that speed until i shut down the game. But that is not the main issue, it seems my game is now very unstable I will crash shortly after logging in (20 mins max) and once i crash I can not log back in unless I do a force recall on log in(via website). also another note to add a majority of this crashes happen during mid port. and when i crash, the game will shut down in a blink of an eye and my computer acts like it wasn't even running hz and my fans go back to normal speeds.

Just to state also i have:
    Cleared my cache
    done a full scan
    rebooted
    and lots more but can think of them at this hour in the morning

Your issue seems to be very related to your video card.

I know there are issues with the card running very hot in Horizons. I was having issues with the game just either locking up or ending while playing.

I took off the left cover and turned a fan onto the inside of the PC.

I have the most current drivers and it is a gForce 6200 256meg card.

Once I did that, I no longer have issues with the heat.

Good Hunting out there.

I been playing with this same card for almost two years and I have yet to have this problem. why would a card suddenly start to over heat now. and if it was a over heat issue, why would i not be able to relog again, unless I do a force recall?

note this not being able to log back in can happen at any location, it is not fixed to just a spot or two.

another update for some reason when ever I try to use my sunscope I crash every time i use it

and the last note I also just blasted the inside with air and the problem still persits

I have burned up a few video cards with horizons. the sunscope and portal issue was one that i have had, as well as flashing particle effects. end result was i had overheated my video card, and ended up with a bad memory module as a result. Replacement of the video card was my only option, if its under warranty you can send it to the manufacturer for testing, if the memory module fails they will send you a new card. note: i am referring to a memory module that is on your video card, not your pc Ram.

Try a test with another game that is graphics intense, and see if you are getting a degraded video performance or random glitches in gameplay.

I will try EQ2 tonight for an hour and see if anything happens.

I agree, it's most likely the video card. I have to admit, I've burnt one myself with Horizons. To be fair, it was an MX440 though.... Anyways, it's times like this that gives a nice excuse to upgrade At one point my pc got too hot overall, so I drilled a hole in the top of the case and put an 80mm output fan in. Heat rises, so why fight it? Worked great, haven't had heat issues since.

edit: Grammar. The Redundency Department of Redundency just called = /
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Update: just about any other game I play is fine The fans run in silent mode All the games I play are stable, dont crash on me and the vents on my machine do not feel overheated.

I am not one to disagree much, but actually I experienced the exact same symptons in another Game (Eve Online). The answer was soon forth coming, The hard drive literally fried.

The fans all powering up is a sympton of heat more than an indicator of the source. The crashing during port situations is also a sign that makes me believe the Hard Drive might be the culprit, depending on how much swap file this game caches. If you have your diagnosis program that came with the hd, boot over to it and run a full diag. a more simplist test is to reach into the case when the problem occurs and seeing if the hard drive is hot, like 80, 90 degrees celsius.

On a far outer possibility, a bad Ramm bank might very remotely be responsible, though I do not know if Ram is capable of generating that kind of enviromental heat.

Edit for one more thought: Have you opened the case and cleaned the dust out recently? I know of two other complaints along this line that were solved by a lsimple cleaning.
    Last edited by Khargu Wildeye; July 27th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khargu Wildeye
    Edit for one more thought: Have you opened the case and cleaned the dust out recently? I know of two other complaints along this line that were solved by a lsimple cleaning.
    yes I did air out my machine a few days ago

Did you happen to install an X-Fi or Audigy II. The game doesn't work with either (unless you have a very specific driver for the Audigy II), and causes crashes or log in problems like you describe.

The fans going full speed as usually caused, like the others have said, by the graphics card, or cpu overheating. Most vid cards, and even cpu/motherboards adjust their fan speeds based on device temp.

I would do this (sorry if repeat info you or others have said).

1) Take the side panel or case cover off and find out which fan or fans are speeding up.

2) Make sure you don't have a dead fan somewhere (case fan, power supply, etc)

3) Find out how long it takes for the fans to speed up - does it happen as soon as you launch the game (because it shouldn't), or does it take a 1-5 mins of gameplay. Shut your machine off for 5-10 mins, and immediately run the Hz. If the fans speed up to 100%, there's probably some driver problem or driver/util setting, enabling this option. Your card shouldn't get that hot, *that* quickly.

4) Make sure your case, all fans, vents, etc, are free of dust - power off systems and unplug case, and use a vacuum and *carefully* vacuum all vents, or any place you see dust. Again, do it *very carefully* and *gently* as not to hit/bend/break anything. Capacitors don't take much abuse before breaking, if you hit them the the wrong way. I'd use a brush extension on the vacuum to be safe.

4) Try other games/software, like others have said

5) Try system monitoring applications to check cpu/vid card temperatures and see if they are within normal ranges (good monitoring apps will have help that describes what a normal range is, as will the documentation for your vid card, or even vid card driver/extension/utility apps)

The only reasons I know of for the vid card fans to spin at 100% *immediately* after launching the game, is that the card was already very hot, or it's misdetecting it's own temp, or had a driver problem. I know of drivers/utils that have options (like ATi Tool) to turn your fans on high, as soon as the vid card has detected a game is running (detected use of its 3d hardware, screen mode change, etc).

Good luck. Let me know what happens. I can probably help further (as I always forget to list everything that can help).

just so ya know, you aren't the only one. It always crashed when I was playing Horizons. Sometimes it was a blue screen, sometimes my computer just restarted. And sometimes (very rarely) It just froze. No matter what I tried, it always did. BUT later I found out that there was a corrupted file in the game! I think that was the reason, but I never got the chance to do anything about it: my dad made me cancel.

Thread Information