Thread: Stating the Obvious

Default Stating the Obvious

Dear EI:

The past six days since you purchased Horizons must have been a whirlwind--if not a downright madhouse--for you. From past experience representing both sellers and purchasers of businesses both small and large, I've no doubt you have been burning the midnight oil every day getting your arms around the game--negotiating with Tulga's old vendors for continued service (or perhaps examining new vendor options), determining how many new developers and/or programmers to bring on board and who they might be, going through all the books double-checking the monthly expenses, and so on.

And dealing with us, the players.

We're a demanding bunch on the whole. We want this, we want that, we want answers to a billion questions. And we seem to want it all now.

But I, and I think more than a few others, realize that the transition of new ownership takes time. You have a LOT on your plate right now just from the strictly business aspect of purchasing a game.

So I don't expect you to answer all billion of the questions posed to you now. Not this week. Not next week. Maybe not even for a month or so.

I don't expect you to give us a complete design document detailing what things you will be implementing (or rolling back) this week or next, or for some time to come.

I would be insane to think that you will be able to fix the klunker of a game engine/client we have struggled with for three years in the next week or two. I'd be amazed if you could fix or replace it in the next YEAR or two.

And I don't expect to see any patch being pushed to the live servers for at least a month, if not longer. The current Blight delta is a mess I hear, and pushing it live soon just isn't in the cards.

You've inherited a lot from Tulga, both good and bad. And it's going to take a goodly amount of time to sort it out.

So EI, you all go about clearing up the business ends of your purchase. Assuming, as I do, that the servers are up when you finish with that, I'll still be here. And I think the vast majority of your player base will be, too.

Cheers!
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Default Very obvious and very true

They need as much time, to get familiar with this game and the behind the scenes as well.

Here here! And I agree, and I'd be one that Tant is speakin of. =)

Thumbs up

Ayup.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

100% in agreement.

My view may be slightly different here.

To EI I say this,
    Welcome. As the new owners of Horizons I, as do many others also, welcome you and your team. I think you deserve to be treated with respect and given a fair chance to show us who you are and what you can do with this game. As Tant said, we Horizons players are a demanding bunch, and sometimes don't take into consideration all the things you endure behind the curtain, which isn't really fair of us towards you, but I hope you understand and can see that we really enjoy this game and our proud of our community and try to work with you in hopes of making Horizons a better game for all of us. I believe you feel the same way.

However, I will admit that I welcome you with caution. Why? Because I do not know you, I do not know EI, I do not your team, I do not know what you can and cannot do for Horizons. There is much uncertainity at this time about our future and as such we have many questions to ask of you. Of course, you cannot answer all of our questions now nor fix all the problems of Horizons by tomorrow, I atleast would never expect anything close to that. However, I would not say take all the time you need either. Time was not on AE/Tulga side here, unfortunatly I predict nor will it be on yours. Good communication between you and players is needed and asap imo.

Some small answers to some small questions could go a long way . Example, maybe if you could just introduce yourself, your team and possibly your current positions for all here to view in one organized thread would go a long way. Communication can do wonders for many problems that exist.

You don't have to answer all the questions to make us happy either, maybe just start with a few simple ones and work from there. I'm only a player here giving my opinion, and can only speak for myself. I would hope that you do not view my concerns and doubts as an attack upon you, because they are certaintly not intended to be. You are the owners and of course, in the end, the game is your to do with as you chose.

Once again,. welcome EI and may your stay be a good one for all of you and for Horizons.
    Last edited by Zarcharien; July 27th, 2006 at 01:03 AM.

Dinidain DeCantlos

Thumbs up

Very well said by both of you Tant and Zarch.

I can agree with both of you as I don't believe your positions are mutually exclusive. I too understand (living though real life management changes) just how chaotic things are going to be for the folks at EI for some time to come. But I also agree that communication is important, especially to a proven loyal customer base.

One possible solution could be delegating the duties of communicating with the community to a single person. Someone who can scan the question threads here or take questions in PM or Email. Then that individual can pick 3 or 4 common questions every week to try to find some answers to (even if the answer is "that's something were not focusing on at this time, but it is on the table"), and post their findings in the News part of the community website, or in a locked thread on the forums. Even 1 or 2 answers a week would go a long way toward settling "gunshy" nerves.

Other than that, I'm here for the long haul and am looking forward to the new era that Istaria faces...The Age of New Gods

Dinidain DeCantlos,
    "Faith of the Fallen" on Order

I agree with what was said, but I also want to say that I expect communication from EI to the general playerbase on a basis that is hopefully weekly at the very minimum. The people of Chaos and Order do not want to end up like Unity, and Unity does not want to stay like Unity server.

Even if all they have to say this week is that they're busy with legal work that has no bearing on the game. They should say it so that we know they are mindful of their playerbase.

EI I will give you time, but let me know you're using it with good intent.

Just for the record, the Blight community doesn't wish to end up like the poor Unity community, either.

i hope that EI or GN will give us some food to discuss soon

something new

i dont like the situation we have atm

its frustrating and remembers me how i felt the last month/years with GN´s silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir
    Just for the record, the Blight community doesn't wish to end up like the poor Unity community, either.
    Blight has a community? I didn't realize that many people played.

j/k I should have listed blight as well.

Well said Tant, I agree wholeheartedly. I am here for the long haul.
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Fully in agreement Tant!

I'm am purposefully staying low profile atm, to allow the furvor to die down.

But soon, when the next patch comes, or something happens that warrents it, I will return to posting and trying to make a positive contribuion to the boards. Until then, I will continue to do like always and help where I can ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Svayvti
    Blight has a community? I didn't realize that many people played.

j/k I should have listed blight as well.
    I was mostly teasin' ya with that, Svayvti.

Thread Information