Thread: Worked fine for 2 days, then... black screen!

Asuryan

Default Worked fine for 2 days, then... black screen!

Hello everyone,

I downloaded the client this sunday, installed it, patched it, created my character, and started playing. During these 2 days, the game worked smoothly, no problems at all.
    Then it happened: this morning I was playing, when the lights went off along with my router (which isn't connected to the UPS) and of course it lost connection, and horizons with it.
    So I waited for the power to return, then I turned the router on, well, everything works, so it's time to play horizons again, right?
    Wrong. I tried to access the game via web launcher, as I always do, the launcher then loads everything there is to load, then it says it's "successfully starting horizons" or something like that, and then, black screen and frozen computer.
    I've tried waiting for about 2 or 3 minutes, the black screen stays there. I've tried Alt+F4 to close the program, it didn't work. Alt+tab to switch to other programs, it didn't work. I had to manually reset the PC. Then tried again the weblauncher and again the system locked down with a black screen.

I don't have an audigy soundcard, I have an extrememusic Creative soundcard. And sincerely I don't think my problem is in the sound card, everything (included sound and music) was perfect until my router crash caused the horizons client crash.

So what am I supposed to do now?

Try doing a full scan from the log-in page. Something might have become corrupt from the unexpected closing of the connection.

Asuryan

I tried checking the Full scan box, before launching the game, but it hasn't helped. However, I'll try again, just to be sure. Any other suggestions while we're here? ...since I'll probably have to reset my PC anyway...

It sounds like it could be more then a simple issue with Horizons. If a full scan doesn't work try reinstalling Horizons. If that fixes the issue great, if not it is most likely an issue with your vid card, sound card, or memory. It is possible something got harmed with the power surge, but before speculating try giving a reinstall of Horizons a shot.
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

Asuryan

If that fixes the issue great, if not it is most likely an issue with your vid card, sound card, or memory. It is possible something got harmed with the power surge
    But I think nothing got harmed. Mainly because everything's working without any problems, other games and RAM-heavy applications too, Horizons is the only exception... but also because everything was behind the UPS except for the router. I'm on my way to reinstalling everything, good thing I had downloaded the full client from the website and saved it on DVD just two days ago!

I would suggest going into the world cache folder and deleteing the server that you play on worlds cache if it really broken you may have as I have had actually a D:\Horizons\world_cache\blighthorizons2 because the original was messed up, also look on your desktop and see if it stuck one there I have also had that happen.
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Asuryan

Ok, I uninstalled the game, deleted the game folder, installed the game, updated it, launched it, and... you guessed it... black screen.

However, this time I tried waiting patiently, and after about 5 minutes the loading screen (the one with the dragon, and the obese monster) appeared, along with the music. But it was loading very, very slowly, at least 1 minute per "part", and after staying quite a long time (3 minutes) on the "loading items in backpack" part, it simply closed itself without any warning.

I'm starting to feel very frustrated. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Worked fine for 2 days, then... black screen!

Did you ever resolve this issue?
    I have just experienced the same issue, so would like to know if there is a way to solve it.

This same problem has been happening to me for more than a week. Have tried all of the above ideas but still can't get logged into blight. EQ2 runs fine so I know its not my computer or connection.

Have yo tried disabling you on-demand virus scanner for horizons? I was having that problem till I excluded Horizons from it.

I disabled my virus scanner too but that didn't help. *sigh*

This happens to me as well. After taking a suggestion from Steelclaw I've been monitoring my internet connection to see if it was being disrupted (or something). It wasn't, and isn't. And my Antivirus is off, and my firewall allows HZ though. Sometimes it starts up normally, sometimes it hangs for 0 to 20 minutes and then crashes with a "simulation requested disconnect" message.

As far as I can tell, when this happens the game doesn't load far enough to start requesting stuff from the world cache, so I doubt clearing the world cache will help.

I think it is a bug with the client myself. *shrugs* It's hard to tell though.

EDIT: It's time to make Murphy's Law work for you! I have been trying to get a log of this happening so I could send it in, so of course it only happens when I forget to have logs on. Weeeee! All you have to do to never hang on the black screen is turn your logs on with the intent of sending them into support!
    Last edited by gopher65; August 31st, 2007 at 03:22 PM.

Thread Information