Thread: To EI : PLEASE use the forums, PLEASE!!!

Exclamation To EI : PLEASE use the forums, PLEASE!!!

IRC is a bad joke, and a HORRIBLE way to talk to players.

In-game, is just as fruitless.

*** (<-- attention getter)

EI: For the love of Dog, PLEASE USE THE FORUMS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE PLAYER-BASE!!! STOP making me use CAPS and exclamation points!!!!

1) In-game, and IRC are *fleeting*. What you communicate there is LOST, IMMEDIATELY, and ONLY available for people who are lucky enough to BE THERE at THAT MOMENT in time!!! People are going out of their way to log the info and are posting this it all here ANYWAY, so all the people who MISSED it can see it. Are you getting my point?

2) The forums, SAVE your posts for ALL to see/read/re-read! ANYTIME they want. They can be searched, pinned, etc. A MOTD in-game can point people here. Every Hz player knows how to use a web browser!!!

No need to list anymore reasons. Why using a message board to communicate over fleeting chats in irc or in-game is just OBVIOUS to all but EI. Gawd, I feel like I'm yelling at a rock in the lawn. "Move dammit!!, I'm trying to mow the lawn here! Move!!!". The rock (hint: EI), lies motionless and deafeningly silent.

"Shhh, calm down lawnmower guy, I'm trying to accomplish nothing here"...
    (hint, read into it)

Thumbs up so true

i hate irc because there happens nothing

you have to be online the complete day to get some conversations (over some hours)

if you disc then all is gone

Irc users are a very small minority and the forum gets read by a lot of more people

and yet so many do not come to the forums as well. Put major announcements on the log in.... Put logs here and post here as well just so there's record...

For getting "feed back" i'd say using IRC and in game stuff is a GREAT way to do it. You're talking to those playing the game. I also think talking and getting feedback on the forums is a great idea! Use them all, not just one, or the other.... or the other.

again, i disagree the forums are read by many... There are many who state their dislike of reading forums for those who lurk about in it =P Which is understandable.

i hate it to get infos posted by irc users

why do this platform has more rights to get answers?

Default Please EII, discuss this in your public relations team

Info that must reach all players must be on the login page and if it is vital to player interests (like possible security issues) it must be sent to them by email.

Anything that is new or changed must be put in the news section of the community platform and linked to the forum. For only in this way can all players communicate about it, read it again and again and direct other players to it. And only in this form can it be official.

IRC is nice to exchange ideas with players, as is meeting in marketplace or anywhere else within game. It is no way at all to state anything officially. For
    a) there is no way for all players to access the information should they wish to do so
    b) the person that speaks for EII is such that -- a person. And personal styles can creep into that and muddle the issue.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Being an old dwarf with short stubby fingers, i find typing hard and time comsuming, hence i don't post much or use irc.

Therefore i find these forums invaluable for information. (and amusement)
    Also being a Unity player there is not much chance for ingame info.

As for info being put on login page does that require a patch?
    Gimbold, Ancient dwarf on Chaos
    Mottle, Ancient dragon on Chaos

Here is a theory:

This "forum" is probably not "theirs" to maintain or own. They announce here but they don't feel like "posting" here because it would be like this:

You want to have a conversation, but the room is full of smokers, and you are an avid non-smoker... so you go to where the non-smokers are.

Community board = smokers = hot smoldering topics, feet in the fire, etc.

IRC = non-smokers = the same crowd that always hang out there, the uber fanbois.

Who would you rather talk to... the player base that keeps the game running, or the uber-fanbois that still think that IRC is better than a PB&J sammich and it's their way of "bending the dev's ear"
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

We are the community and we have a community forum once build up by TG (older days 3. party .. some may know) later rebuild by some gamersinfo.net people for TG.
    This is our home base for informations.
    IRC is nice because you have the ability to talk to persons directly, but 80% of all comm in there can be threated as spam.
    Also IRC infos are lost if you dont log the chat and only reachable for those who are in IRC in the moment of the post.
    The forums give you the ability to bring posts in an order and gives those who were not there from the beginning of a thread the possibility to re read all informations.

I can only say to EI: Use this forum, dont build up a new one (would only cost communication loss) and dont focus on IRC as main communication base.

I think it is amusing to call the IRC chan the home of the 'überfanbois' when looking at the (unedited version) of last IRC log, there were several people there ready to rip a second to DANU_EI when he came for a visit, and you could read the same criticism levelled at EI there as well as here. Both the forums here and the IRC chan, going by everything I've seen, are smokers' lounges, the channel merely represents a smaller cross-section of these smokers.

Also, if EI decides to communicate via IRC, it is EI's problem, not of those who choose to hang on IRC. I agree that the single best method to reach the largest amount of players is a message on login.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    Here is a theory:

This "forum" is probably not "theirs" to maintain or own. They announce here but they don't feel like "posting" here because it would be like this:

You want to have a conversation, but the room is full of smokers, and you are an avid non-smoker... so you go to where the non-smokers are.

Community board = smokers = hot smoldering topics, feet in the fire, etc.

IRC = non-smokers = the same crowd that always hang out there, the uber fanbois.

Who would you rather talk to... the player base that keeps the game running, or the uber-fanbois that still think that IRC is better than a PB&J sammich and it's their way of "bending the dev's ear"
    The main problem here is... Late Night Crew. We get NONE of the IRC and NONE of the In-Game. Im not, and never have been an "uber-fanboi" but I LOVE my Dragon, and I have a LOT of my life tied up in him. I, in the past, never read the forums, but, if it was a strong enough point, I'd follow the Forum link on the news post and look at it. Honestly, I HATE IRC as a communications form, but it has it's (albeit limited) place. I dont read IRC, I won't use IRC. (Thus my INCREADIBLE disturbance seeing IRC as the only communication form used by EII).

As iterated above here (assuming again, this post isn't killed by new mod rules talked about elsewhere) the forums are AT LEAST an order of magnitude better for communications than In Game or IRC. Atleast here, folk can look and see the thoughts of others, and make their throughts known. As a Late Nighter, we never see Devs, thus, have no voice. Twood be nice to have an actual voice for once without having to COMPLETELY change our schedule to be awake durring "standard business hours".

<<PS Sorry, I'm REALLY mad tonight bout a lot of this. I apoligize to Justa (like other threads) for using his post to attack. No real anger at you me kitty. >>
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Just realised this still said Ice....oopsie

I visit irc fairly often atm and I hardly call myself a fanboi-I dont have an active subscription right now (due to GN) and having seen how things are going with HZ in the US I cant see myself resubbing any time soon!
    Give Unity the support it deserves!

I've always thought that something in-game would be the most uniform means to communicate with everyone that is active. There is also emailing directly to the account holders or login email addresses. What I think would be absolutely great is an in-game mail system.

The forums are great for suggestions, complaints, issues, help requests. I wish the old technical section on the previous boards were brought back, Bugs/Hardware.

Tulga used IRC a lot too. In fact, I'd prefer EI use IRC over the forums. Sure there is a need for them to use the forums to reply to the questions here, but IRC is not a joke. IRC is much better than you make it out to be. I always wanted to be able to talk to TG in-game, but the devs always had themselves hidden to players. I like being able to talk to EI in-game because anything I'd ever have to talk to them about relates to the game.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Talking

Just my thoughts here. As I am a player looking to return but waiting to see what this new company has planned, a post every now and then here in the forums would go a long way IMO. As this is currently my only source of information.

-Muslyx

Thread Information