Thread: Returning - unity or chaos

Question Returning - unity or chaos

Hi everybody,

I decided to play horizons again. While I did for 1 1/2 year on earth/unity, it had been about 1 year I left Istaria. Meanwhile I read about the situation with GN is getting even worser.

What about Chaos - is it going well and is maybe there a german/european community too?

Thx and regards,
    new-name-not-known-yet (formerly Saphosar on Unity)

Start again on Unity with some luck your old character is still there, with the new owner the NA situation is uncertain too.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Well I go opposite Sigi here: If you are not too fond of your old char, start on an NA shard.

It is true that the situation on the NA shards has still to be sorted out somewhat but Unity does as well depend on it. There is no way that Unity can exist for a longer time without the work that is done on the NA servers, so if NA goes down, Unity will go down with it -- no new content, no events. On the other hand, there might come the sad day when Unity is left to die because its owners (GN) and the american owners (EII) couldn't reach an agreement.

I sympathize with the Unity players (have been one for a long time and I'd like to play there again some day) but I think in the present situation its not very fair to entice someone who has the choice where to play to go there rather than on an NA shard.

Unity has the advantages that you might find some players there you knew and liked (BIIIIG advantage) and that it has a truly international feel to it due to the many languages.

The NA shards however,(there is Order besides Chaos, by the way) have a larger population and it is in a more actual state of patching.

Both Unity and Order and Chaos have fine communities so whatever you decide, you'll find helpful people there.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Default thx for your answers

I read some more in the forum and allthough I really liked unity's community very much, I think starting a new char on a NA shard will be the better solution. GN doesn't seem to really take care of Horzions at all since the communication in there forums is as bad as it had been about 1 year before.

But when I really return depends on EII, since they disabled account creation. Unfortunately there is no statement when it's available again, but I still hope the "very soon" really means "very soon" *g*.

Regards, Sap.

well atm there is nothing what GN could do .. they have noch active contract, cant solve any problems related to the software by themself, ..
    Well OK there are still some things that could be better....still waitung fpr there change of support system they told us that would take place in august....but o the other hand I think GN waits with all actions till they have a new contract.

Default Finally returned

Finally returned to Unity (hoping that GN will keep the service running).

Checked out Chaos this weekend, but it's much to slow in crowed areas (such as New Trismus for example or heavy frequented resource areas).
    Don't know whether it's the additional network delay or the newer client version, but Unity runs much faster.

So a big Hello to everybody playing on Unity!!

Sap

Quote Originally Posted by snickel
    There is no way that Unity can exist for a longer time without the work that is done on the NA servers, so if NA goes down, Unity will go down with it -- no new content, no events. On the other hand, there might come the sad day when Unity is left to die because its owners (GN) and the american owners (EII) couldn't reach an agreement.
    Actually, I believe that Unity has a chance to survive longer. If you'll allow me to speculate. We all have seen the relationship between TG and GN was rather... problematic. I believe that if TG had had any power to shut down Unity, they would have. Or at least, pressured for some changes. By this I suspect GN have a very, very favourable contract that essentially makes them an independent operation.

Consequently... if it happens that US HZ is forced to close its doors for one reason or another, there most likely is nothing in any contract that would force GN to follow suit. One needs but to log into Unity to realize GN is able to run the server on minimal expenses (current playerbase can't be making them much money) possibly having cut it to nothing but bandwidth expenditures plus salary for a janitor that sweeps the floors once a week.

Patches would of course be a problem as there wouldn't be any. Or, if we believe TG's side in this word-against-word situation, they could apply the patches that TG claims they have delivered but GN has not applied. Eventually they too would have to close doors due to static content and no hope for bugfixes drivign the hard core away, but it'd have lived to fulfill my claim already and outlived Chaos and Order.

This all just speculation. I however believe that the existing contract gives GN a very strong upper hand in any negotiations with EII they might be conducting.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

My speculation was based on the idea that stagnation in content means the death of a game.

If there is new content then the US shards will have that, too. So I see the prospering of the US shards as a necessary, though not sufficient condition of Unity's survival.

I sure wish that Unity will last long and with patches.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Thread Information