Thread: Forum Management

Default Forum Management

First of all I applaud the move to bring the forums under control, and hopefully a more friendly place for both players and the new owners to post and communicate.

That said, the current setup where every post has to be approved inhibits good game conversation. It slows it down and prevents smooth flowing conversations from occurring. I hope and suggest that you will implement new and explicit forum rules and then allow free posting again with the warning that new rules will be strictly enforced.

Maybe the Goodbyes forum could be replaced by "Departures and Returns". It is a good part of the community to know when people have left, and also when they have returned. So long as no personal attacks rules (against EI and its employees as well as players) is strictly enforced.

I also think a rants forum is good. People need to rant sometimes. People get frustrated and angry and it is good to have a place for people to unleash their anger instead of spilling it across other places (general forums, game, etc). This gives people a little leeway in topics, though I don't encourage relaxing posting rules. Besides allowing people to release their anger, it can sometimes be good for people to brainstorm how things could be different for suggestions to improve the game.

and don't forget to distinguish for fanbois/slambois who's responses are always of one nature from genuine customer critics. Every good game NEEDS its critics. Every MMO that has failed refused to listen to its critics while the successful game companies do listen. While the advice I find is seldom taken in the way it is intended, if you genuinely address the root concerns of the critics you will create a better game with a loyal and strong customer/fan base.

Finally, an imperative plee from EI. Someone needs to be active in listening AND responding to the community right now. I suspect much of what people want answers to seems silly from development standpoint because you're not entirely sure the directions the game will take. If so you're, then you are wrong.

You don't need to supply customers with answers, you need to supply them with communication that makes up any good business relationship. You need to sell and you need to market to your customers both current and prospective. Come out strong and set the tone for conversation, most customers will respond in the manner that the company sets.

Right now the tone I see being set is EI and its players not talking much, and talking past each other (with company announcements and player declarations) when they do.

So EI, lets change this and make a good strong start to set the tone for our new Horizons.

Wholehearted approval! Well stated.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Heh, I was beginning to give up hope this post would ever see the light of day.

Agreed. Even an answer of "we don't know at this time" is better than silence.

The key to any relationship is communication. And we need to work on the relationship between the community and EI, because it's a little rocky now.

Thread Information