Thread: Let's try a "non-EI" topic: Multiclassing question!

Default Let's try a "non-EI" topic: Multiclassing question!

I have decided to unretire Justa's single level ranger status and decided to try and level cleric (so I can cast gift and life buffs and be more useful)

What is the best way of going about this, seeings how I have a 57 adventure rating as a 13th level cleric:

Stay a ranger, completely obliterate level 10-20 mobs and gather trophies (1000xp per turn in)?

Stay a cleric, and slowly obliterate level 10-20 mobs and gather trophies (1000xp per turn in)?

Stay a cleric and actually stand toe to toe with a level 70 mob for 900xp but takes me 5 minutes to kill it with Improved lightning bolt I

I have done some experimenting.... some of the mobs at 10-20 travel with other mobs carrying trophies I don't want and I have to weed out the Cedar treants, Breeder spiders, and Angry gruoks just to get the right level trophies... it takes hours to get enough trophies for 3000xp

Then I have the fights with Jasper / aquamarine golems that net about 500-900xp per golem but take me forever to kill them and they "can" actually hurt and almost have killed me.

I would love some suggestions on how to proceed since there are so many Uber-peds out there that just want to depart with that knowledge
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Anima

Default Mmm... multiclassing

<Waves!>

Hiya Justa.

I cant remember, arent Clerics able to use Crossbow? If they are, you can use your superior dexterity and some mastered ranged abilitys to take down big critters.

If Crossbow isent an option, ya, harvesting trophys with your 100th level school is a good route.

My expertise is limited in this area. I'm all about casters

<waves!>

Many of the highly multiclassed on Order seem to prefer
    the trophy route. I seem to be the exception, as I've
    nearly always hunted above my level for the XP as
    opposed to spending mind-numbing hours farming low
    level trophies.

The advantage to hunting high above your level is you
    still gather trophies from those higher tiers, and can use
    them when your Cleric reaches those levels. So I guess
    in effect, I use a combination of both approaches.

In your situation, I would use my Nature skill from ranger
    and fight as Cleric. Make sure you have every tier of
    nature-based AoE spells so you can take on groups. It's
    kind of a pain to do this part, but you may also consider
    casting a lower level CoT on yourself, switching to Cleric,
    then buff up and head out to slay groups of beasties.
    Got Cowbell?

and thank heavens for a return to game-related discussion
    Got Cowbell?

Anima

<Waves!>

Thank heavens for Cowbell!

<waves!>

Anima

Default Crossbow

<Waves!>

According to Gamersinfo.net IGN. Healers are able to use Regular crossbows, just not heavy ones. You could get cleric to 20th level, switch to Healer and start using the regular crossbow to take advantage of mastered abilitys and dexterity. Healers also get more augmentation and life skill, which is why you're taking a healing school to begin with, no?

I'm not sure that crossbow information is correct, I'd have to see it in-game first before accepting or discounting it.

<waves!>

Don't forget, you can also wear ironsilk padded cloth as cleric, as long as you are in a level 91+ craft class, and mithril health jewelry in a level 99+ craft - perhaps some other stat of mithril jewelry if your craft is lower than 99. *looks at the 93 carp in Justa's sig* I don't know the exact level requirements of power, focus, dex or armor jewelry; strength jewelry is low 80's.

Dravatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    Nomality! <sigh> *kisses ground*

Drac-Terrak

As I level my cleric I tend to stick with the golems. I try to avoid anything fast or overly aggressive that can put a pounding on me. With a few high leveled classes you should be able to easily take on critters 10-20 levels higher than you, ofcourse I would recommend using Gremblthrg suggestion and get fully tech'd (level III or IV techs to stay cheap) ironsilk gear. Pump your One-hand crush on your tech's and you should be tough enough and fast enough to level quickly.

My cleric is 42 now, I think my rating is 60-70 and I work on level 70 golems near Winter's Peak for a nice 10-11xp as opposed to 2k per like level kill. I only bother with trophy's as a side effect of leveling. The ironsilk will maintain a better armor rating than everything up to steel, then cobalt platemail will be better by a marginal amount.

Healers able to use crossbows is correct.

I ran ranger up to 92 before switching to healer. Healer level is now 77 and having a blast with it! I worked it similar to Helcat's suggestion if I read it right. Usually stuck to critters 10-20 above my healer level, gained fairly decent xp, and collected the trophies to use for later.
    It is better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

Justa

My advice Group with a Dragon kill high end monsters. You get tons of exp they get loot plus some heals from your cleric class.
    Warsong
    Paladin/Healer

Don't cry because its over,Smile because it happend

Hi ho,

Interesting idea Warsong... at what point does the "smish the noobie" code kick in when grouped with a higher level char? I'm not multi-classing per se - my rating is 63 and my level is 57. I'm just so sick of hunting solo, and it seems all the folks I know are all uber 100+ adventurers (guess that's what happens when you don't log in for 4 months). Last time I tried to group with someone higher than myself - all the monsters just ignored her and beat the snot outta me instead. It wasn't fun.

-Finn's player

Finn

Find a Melee Dragon, Most Melee Dragons can one hit Giant Ice Beetles on Ice Island.
    Warsong
    Paladin/Healer

Don't cry because its over,Smile because it happend

Wow! It almost feels like everything is back to normal with this thread I am glad that there are still peeps out there that are actually playing the game, rather than bashing EI or naysaying the future of Horizons. By the way, I have no 'uber-peds' but in my opinion, I think all that I have seen is great advice. Since I love to multi-class, I am going to take all of the advice, too. Keep strong all; Istaria is still! Play on!

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    Game-related topic? hmmmm...

Oh yeah! Now I remember! what game are we talking about?
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Justa,
    In case you havn't figured it out, you are seeing an XP Cap. You can earn no more than 20% of a level per kill or something like that. You are loosing a LOT of xp killing those level 70 mobs. Go kill something MUCH MUCH smaller. Maybe some level 30 mobs should be fine. Use your bolts for now unless you have a ton of strength, and it will save you some time making weapons. Keep killing those monsters until you are no longer capped then move to the next higher monster. At some point you will find a good median between what you can kill over time and the XP.

You'll go back to the level 70 mobs at some point

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Blade of rending you could also use I find when i lvl up low lvl schools this helps..tho not a desired weapon for every1 will help a bit till you can use weapon effectively..i think ranger gets one hand slash im not sure..well thats what i think anyway

Thread Information