Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since we will not be getting the confectioner changes...

Default Since we will not be getting the confectioner changes...

Why not add Essence of Blight back to the random resource generator of the blighted resource nodes.

And if we will in fact be getting the confectioner updates, when?

EOB drops off of Blighted Thornwood I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    EOB drops off of Blighted Thornwood I have heard.
    Great! That's perfect for the low level confectioners trying to do the ambrosia quest *grh*

Don't worry Deth, I'm not annoyed at you (don't shoot the messenger and all that) I'm just grouchy, I was really looking forward to the conf revamp

Why did the EoB spawn/drop have to be changed so far ahead of the revamp going live? Stupidly I enjoyed playing the game instead of hoarding silly amounts of EoB in advance of it drying up.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Has something been posted that I miss? Did Ei say that there will be no conf revamp now?
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

It's an assumption on the part of the OP. The only things I have read from EI concerning the confectioner revamp is that it has priority on getting out the door and going live.

I wouldn't give up hope so soon.

I have read no posts so far that detail which people are hired to do developing and coding. But that doesn't mean that noone has been or will be hired, does it?

And face it -- there are many capable people out there who might apply for such a job, including, but not limited to those 3 mentioned by Ophelea.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Dravatar

I think Smeglor already has another job. Illyist mentioned something about moving back home. I don't know about the others.

Well I have kept quiet on the matters here for the past few weeks and rather not get involved to much. But I will say that Smeglor is doing well and just started his new job in Seattle yesterday

Jayne

Dravatar

That is wonderful to hear, Jayne. All of us wish him the best

I'm not so sure that EoB drops from blighted thornwood. During the construction of the old oaks outpost, I did alot of thornwood work. I harvested a diskfull of (blighted) thornwood and never saw a single EoB. After that I went to killing treants...

I still think the suggestion is good, since it might be awhile before confectioner updates are completed.

well i must say something here
    yea moving EoB to blighted thornwood is sily because how low lvl confectioner can get eob then??
    I play on Unity and yes i can say they drop from gathering blighted thornwood even at better rate then before on blighted sand in tazoon crater
    bonus resource wich is droping from gathering blighted thorwood is EoB and some "unstable EoB"
    dunno what that other Eob will do but i keep them and i can say i have t2 silo full of unstable eob

also will be nice to add maybe some nice conf quest to turn those unstable EoB to usefull one or some other good use

thats now how it work on Unity cant say how work on NA because my character there is years behind he can reach thornwood

sry for bad english but i hope everyone understand what iam saying

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    I'm not so sure that EoB drops from blighted thornwood. During the construction of the old oaks outpost, I did alot of thornwood work. I harvested a diskfull of (blighted) thornwood and never saw a single EoB. After that I went to killing treants...

I still think the suggestion is good, since it might be awhile before confectioner updates are completed.
    I want to say it was moved after. I did not start hearing that they had it till after the Outpost was turned on. At least on Order. Also I want to say I did not hear about it not droping till after the outpost was complete also.

Default Current EoB status on Order

Greetings all!

I would like to confirm that EoBs are still dropping from Blighted Thornwood trees on Order. They are dropping at a rate of 12 EoB and 12 Unstable EoB per hour of gathering. The problem is the very limited number of available trees and the very slow respawn rate.

If anyone needs 2 EoBs for the Ambrosia quest on Order, let me know in game.

Herman Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Well I have kept quiet on the matters here for the past few weeks and rather not get involved to much. But I will say that Smeglor is doing well and just started his new job in Seattle yesterday

Jayne
    That's really good to hear. People like him don't stay unemployed for long. I hope he was able to get a job he enjoys. If you happen to talk to him please convey our best wishes.

Lesee, so does that mean that from the time he left TG to the time he started his new job he was unemployed for what? Three weeks? And that included job interviews, moving, time for his new employer to do all the paperwork of making an offer, etc. etc.

This points out that if EI wants to get some good devs they have to be ready to grab them when they can. They don't stay on the market for long.

Yes Gorax it didn't take long and I had no reason to think it would have. He did a phone interview, then was flown up and interviewed and hired while he was there. Came back to start on sorting some RL issues to get there home sold and such. He is there fro a few weeks working. He will be flying back the 24th to load all there belongings and will be driving to Seattle the 26th.

Yes to say the least things moved very fast.

Jayne

Can I ask if he's working still in the gaming industry? And if so on what project?

As for updates/changes/programming.

Don't plan on any "changes" coming to Horizons in the way of actual coding or anything beyond regular maitenence. They kept noone who knows how the current system works, and so far have hired noone with the knolwedge to learn it - which would take months (and that is from someone who actually knew it). Before any changes would be happening as far as bug fixes, changes to the loot tables, etc.

Also, you do NOT want the patch that was on blight to come live. Its full of bugs and its halfway done confectioner changes. The 2nd half was still in delta stage on the internal servers and was even LESS complete.

If the last patch on blight goes live, we'll just have a halfdone patch full of holes and problems and not a single person on staff with the know-how to repair/add/fix/bugshoot any of it. Much less anyone working on the internal 2nd half of the revamp.

Horizons is in maint. mode, they kept the person on staff who knew how to do that smoothly. I expect it will stay this way, permamently. Though the optimists of you can hope that htey hire some coders who figure out the system in say about 8 months, and THEN you'll start to see the game continue to grow.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Nagafen was making noises on the General board along the lines of they'd start working at growing the game once they got the immediate short term problems out of the way. That actually sounds reasonable, although they obviously aren't going to be able to get any coding problems out of the way without a coder.

I'm more then a little worried but I plan to stick around awhile to give them some reasonable time. Who knows? It might actually work out. Could happen I suppose.

As a coder myself I know it IS possible to learn a huge program just from the source without any guidance from anyone (it's done all the time), but it could be a lot slower and more painful. It would depend a lot on how clean the source is, how well commented it is, any other documentation etc. If it's an ugly uncommented piece of crap sphagetti with hidden and undocumented dependencies, functions with bizarre side effects, insane templates and macros and multiple threads going every which way the learning is going to be long and painful. If it's clean, elegant and well documented the learning curve may not be too bad for an experienced programmer even if the code itself is huge.

Oh and by the way, I'd also like to know if Smegler was able to get another job in the gaming industry if that's what he wanted if that's not considered prying. Anyway, I really do hope all the ex-Tulga people land on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    As a coder myself I know it IS possible to learn a huge program just from the source without any guidance from anyone
    Except for the small detail that Xev, the simulation coding language, is propretary and has a very non-standard syntax/structure. That's why so many people, including David, urged EI to hire Smeglor immediatly.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Dravatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    If it's clean, elegant and well documented the learning curve may not be too bad for an experienced programmer even if the code itself is huge.

As a coder myself, I know that when I inherit such projects it is *never* "clean, elegant or well-documented" enough for my purposes...

Documentation outside of the actual source gets lost. Inside the source code, it's considered comments. The compiler doesn't read comments, it reads mnemonics and converts it into machine code. Comments are a crutch for those who can't read machine code.

(for you non geeks out there, this is mostly silliness..)

Quote Originally Posted by Dravatar
    Inside the source code, it's considered comments.
    I got slammed on my last review for not commenting enough

Now I think I spend longer commenting than coding .

Thread Information