Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merging Old school with New School. (Angels and Demons)

Quote Originally Posted by Tathar
    Heh, I didn't know Rasp was your wife. Why don't you join Dragoons Reborn?

And I figure if bipeds WERE going to fly, it would be tinkers that would figure it out.
    If that's her guild, then I already am. =) Maguai is my primary handle..
    though I did re-start a dragon a few day ago.. someone stole my old dragon handle =(
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

Well we do actually have a religion in Istaria, its just so obscure that not alot know of them. I personally made it a goal to try to find out the Istarian Pantheon (if any interest I will post what I know inn the Lore forums). Perhaps part of the Epic quest is to re-discover the gods and maybe a given special ability to what ever god you become a Seraphim too?
    Hoping for the community that once was and can still be...

Ah, didn't notice it was in your sig. How does someone steal your dragon handle if it's already taken?
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Quote Originally Posted by Cebiliis
    Well we do actually have a religion in Istaria, its just so obscure that not alot know of them. I personally made it a goal to try to find out the Istarian Pantheon (if any interest I will post what I know inn the Lore forums). Perhaps part of the Epic quest is to re-discover the gods and maybe a given special ability to what ever god you become a Seraphim too?
    I've always been a fan of lore, so please post away .

I like this idea. While we're dreaming here, when a bi-ped does the quest, they choose which god(ess) to follow and each has a slightly different set of powers depending on the god(ess)'s sphere of influence. Then when a god(ess) gets a certian number of patrons, it gets to return to the world (maybe some world event where players have to battle the forces that were keeping the gods held, and have to build temples to the newly freed god).

The other thing to keep in mind though, is that you have to have something to balance Dragons (although maybe they can have their own gods to free) since their RoP's are supposed to balance the lack of multiclassing. If the Bipeds suddenly got the equivalent to a RoP you'd need to give the Dragons something else to balance them.

just a quick toss up on God-to-dragon lore: the closest thing dragons have to a God has already come into the game for ARoP- the Sleeper and of course the first dragon himself, Drulkar. He hasn't actually come into the game, but they readily recognize him as the first dragon, not an immortal being. That standing was reserved for the Sleeper alone.

That kinda nips the idea of trying to work this in by also including religious quest(s) for dragons to play balancer since you'd hafta completely rewrite the lore. The dragons don't have actual gods and have no use for the bipedal gods.

and now to the subject at hand: ..I don't much like the idea of bipeds gaining flight as it just seems odd. They're users of devices, tools and weaponry as well as highly refined magic to get what they want. If they did so via making items/tools/transports that could carry them? That'd be in perfect keeping with what they are. Why take that away for something as cheestastic as "I don't need what I am- I'm a dragon on two legs har har!" just so they can fly?

This isn't Krynn or Norrath- it's Istaria. Its focus is on the mortals and their self-made immortals, the Gifted, trying to set right their own mistakes of the past. Bringing gods back into it now would be rather ridiculous as they could simply close off the WA from the world and go about restoring Istaria with ease enough- then what was the point of all the struggling up till now? Gods have never been a part of Istaria beyond as vauge background and it's one of the things that gives the game its own feel- not "just another fantasy world". It's a world where the actions of its inhabitants and those alone are what determines its fate- why bring gods into it and take away from that? To logify a set of classtypes that can't really exist without them and aren't needed?
    Last edited by Kyrieath; August 30th, 2006 at 05:31 PM.

Hehehe, Norrath, I've got that game. But back to the actual topic, I agree that those of us with only 2 legs should be stuck firmly to the ground, especially dwarves who belong under it. But anyway, bipeds like me definitely need some sort of epic quest. We just can't keep up with dragons as they grow older and more destructive. I also agree that dragons need extra schools and that they should be the only ones with flight with the possible exception of dryads who might gain minor flight as their epic quest reward which might take them back to where ever the hell it was they came from in the first place. Half-Giants could get some sort of obliterate ability which could be similar to beserk rage or whatever that beserker ability is and us elves could get some form of ability similar to force of nature from Warcraft III that would summon ancient spirits to help us.

Envy in action - Priceless.....

So, in your world, OTHER people can only play these characters that were taken out of the game if YOU get what you want for your dragon.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that ruins MMO's in my opinion. When people only focus on what other people have or might get instead of trying to make their own toon the best it can be, the envy causes alot of greif and eventual nurfing.

It smacks of "if I dont get my way for ME, than I am going to take my ball and ruin it for everybody"

By the way, I am a biped and my instant heal cycles in 5 minutes as well..... so what.

With all due respect, I dont like to flame people, but this type of thinking caused so much grief in EQ over the years ( just ask the monks and the necromancers and bards) , that it must be nipped in the bud right here.

Thou shalt not covet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    As I've always said, Bipeds getting flight... eh... If you bipeds get flight, then do one or more of the following:

1). Let dragons multiclass adventure schools.
    2). Give dragons more buffing spells.
    3). Give dragons more than once per hour resurrection.
    4). Give dragons more than one instant heal, one that isn't 5min recast.

If you give bipeds the ability to fly, then what exactly do we dragons have advantage-wise over the bipeds, again? Flying is one of those very few things... I wouldn't want that taken away from the dragons...

Bipeds get all of the nice gifts, buffs, heals, and resses... we dragons get superior ability to travel the world on the skies. I think its fine the way it is. If you wanna fly, roll a dragon.

--Dhalin

Quote Originally Posted by Seenu
    (...) When people only focus on what other people have or might get instead of trying to make their own toon the best it can be, the envy causes alot of greif and eventual nurfing.(...)
    You compare 2 approaches:
    a) covet what the other has and see that the other does not get advantages compared to you
    b) make your own toon as best as it can be, in other words seek after advantages for yourself regardless what the other has.

I oppose both. I think that this whole advantage seeking is (insert here an uncomplimentary expression of your choice).

Its the limits of a toon that give it definition and character. This game is not about competition, its about fun. If people can only have fun when their characters are optimized, well, then I pity them a little (naw -- I pity them a lot).
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Thread Information