View Poll Results: How do you feel about the In-Game Advocate Concept?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally For It

30 23.81%
  • For it, if they are only involved in world events.

17 13.49%
  • Against it, unless they are not compensated in any way.

22 17.46%
  • Totally against it.

57 45.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: In-Game Advocates

Default Poll: In-Game Advocates

How do you feel about the posting and concept at http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15140
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

Against it, players should not have special power over other players, it will off balance the world even more.

Listen to your former Moderator!!! This is such a HUGE mistake. Alienating more players is not a good idea.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Altar

Agree totaly............................................ ..........................................

Ooops miss read Bulgrims comment

Blah blah blah must make post 50 charaters long blah blah blah

No Blue, you didn't treat me different - except giving me a great sig which I still wish I had a shrunken version of for these forums (maybe without Dravatar I would have a chance).

But its different, you Dravatar and others didn't seek out being a mod - you were I asked I'm guessing. You didn't make mod packs and stuff to gain anything over anyone else - you did it to give joy and special things to EVERYONE.

This sort of program will attract some (not all) who want it for the wrong reason. They aren't going out and asking individuals to be a part of this program - they are saying, "Sell yourself to me!! Tell me what I want to hear; be a cool dude and I'll give you access to the storyline, events, etc!!!" Its just not going to be good for the game in the long run.

If you have 50 people on for an event and 1 guy decides he's gonna play favorites for 5 others - its gonna blow up in all our faces eventually.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

This is a stupendously stupid idea, and one that will surely ruin this game.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Rammi

well that's the great thing about communities... everyone is entitled to differing opinions, and mine differs greatly from yours in that I feel that this idea can work, and will enhance the game, certainly not "ruin" it.

I'm against it.

Like so many others have said, there are ALREADY in-game advocates who do what they love to do, not for the title or anything of the sort, but simply because they like to.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Well, nothing else has worked. That's why the game is on its 3rd owner? Something has to change. Maybe this will start change the right direction. Who knows really? Some think its a bad idea, some like it, others are on the fence. No-one knows if it will happen or how it will work out. It surely can't hurt the game anymore than it's been hurt since day one :/
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Well, the idea has been caveated enough that perhaps it could be implemented with appropriate safeguards and oversight.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

if they only ASSIST in Events than im for it

if they can START/CREATE their own events then im against

the best way would be if they hire some guys, give them money...

Hi all,

Excellent start on the poll TheHaunt, you beat me to it. I was going to start one this morning .

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson
    the best way would be if they hire some guys, give them money...
    I do agree, but I'm really sick of all the paranoia.

What makes people think those volunteers are going to run around unchecked? What makes people think EI isn't capable of enforcing some rules on them? Limiting their powers?

Those volunteers shouldn't - mustn't - be using their play character as the "vehicle" of doing the Advocate bits. They shouldn't be on the same server as their play server, so as not to be able to have favorites.
    Everything they do needs to be documented and logged. Any event should be approved beforehand. That ensures that the rules are followed, as well as it fitting into the world.
    As for 'rewarding' those volunteers... that needs guidelines too. If they get to play for free - you think that will bother me?
    Not bloody likely, since there are PLENTY of .mil addresses that play for free as well. What makes THOSE so different from those people who volunteer their time to enrich the time others have in game?
    The European Military accounts are NOT free, only the US ones. (Or used to be, I have no idea if they still are)
    Isn't it up to EI whether they choose to reward time volunteered, or not? And would it really be so terrible if they do reward it?

Since there are no Advocates yet - we don't really know if they will fit in, or not. And if not, then I'm sure EI will review it. They don't want to lose subscribers over it, after all.
    However, I don't think it's such a bad thing that they give a thought to keeping things interesting for us, by whichever means they have to achieve it.
    Are you honestly saying that if an Advocate ran an event while you're on - you'd not be interested to break up the monotony?
    I would prefer an event run by *anyone* to scratching my head as to what I want to do today.

But then... I've been on the other side of the fence. Don't think for one second that those Advocates won't have the most thankless job in the universe.

Sure, more paid staff would be nice, but if I have to choose between someone who has never played the game being paid for running events and solving tickets, to someone who has and IS playing doing it unpaid... Well. My money would be on the player/volunteer knowing more about the game, quests, classes, races, schools - than someone who just walked in from the street.

And if you want to know what "Paid" Customer Service who doesn't know SQUAT is like... Go play Everquest. They got rid of the old school guides and all petitions are handled in a call center in India, by people who have no idea what they are talking about.
    There's only a handful of actual, knowledgable, GM's left - and they HATE having to fix the India screwups. I talked to my former server GM a while back and he said they had far less work when the guides did the petitions - because they were either solved before they ever got them, or they had done all the legwork for them to speed up resolving it. Now they have to do their own legwork and it takes 4 times as long to get stuff fixed.

Yes, there were bad apples. There were plenty of bad apple GM's as well. Just because someone is paid to do it, doesn't stop them abusing the system if they are inclined to abuse the system.
    It'll take a lot of monitoring, watching, checking... but it could well be to all our benefit if the WM's get some understudies who can help them resolve issues quicker, run pre-approved events, provide help to players... and so take the heat off the WM's a bit so they can get on with what they are paid to do.
    I very much doubt those Advocates will have the same powers as a WM, that they will be able to affect the world like a WM can. I *highly* doubt it.

Honestly? I don't know.

I've never been in a game with player advocates/guides/whatever you want to call them so I don't have that experience on which to base a decision. I can understand the arguments against it but I'd rather see it in action, or at least have more information about what they will and will not be able to do with this power, before I condemm it myself.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

I'd rather see it in action, or at least have more information about what they will and will not be able to do with this power, before I condemm it myself.
    Kelsaka - I applaud you.
    Most people seem to be more willing to reject a new idea outright, without even trying it first. Especially if it comes from EI at the moment.
    I'm for trying this out first. If it doesn't work - fine. Then get rid of it again, we can all raise a holy stink over it then, when it's been proved not working.
    From what I saw in the initial post the Advocates are answerable to the GM's and the Management. There won't be any "free reign" from what I read there. They are to assist the GM's, not replace them. Sheesh.

This idea was rejected long ago with TG, this has nothing to do with EI.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm all for it, to allow EI to have more player input into what we all do and don't like about the game.

Bad part is, I can't submit an app because I'm not a multi-racial, multi-class, multi-level 100 with good knowledge of the game. I'm a builder.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Make me a god! make me a god!!!! me me me me me!!! I wanna be omnipotent!!

(NOT!)

From one point I can see how it "might" be a good thing.... but as I have stated before... Power corrupts depending on what an advocate's powers are limited to.

it would ease the playing community if EI were to let us know exactly how MUCH control they have when assigning "powers" over to players.

What would an advocate do? Here are things they could do ... but why?

1: free people from areas they got geographically stuck in... (just recall and go back)

2: Get the player unstuck from a quest that they were bugged in.

3: Remove people that are blatently cursing in open chat or being obnoxious

4: ???? heck I don't know...
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinn
    Well, nothing else has worked. That's why the game is on its 3rd owner? Something has to change. Maybe this will start change the right direction. Who knows really? Some think its a bad idea, some like it, others are on the fence. No-one knows if it will happen or how it will work out. It surely can't hurt the game anymore than it's been hurt since day one :/

In no other game that I know of has volunteer assistants with any power really worked for one, Kwinn. It leads to abuse and favoritism. Even in EI's own Savage Eden. And if they aren't stopping that conduct there, they won't stop it here.

And how can it hurt more? DANG RIGHT IT CAN!! How can you even say that? The game is alive right now. If this idea went sour, and favoritism or abuse started happening with no actions being taken - that means more bad word of mouth, more cancelled accounts. A game can only take so many before its flushed.

Sorry, that comment just struck me as ludicrious. The game can hurt more - it can be closed entirely.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information