Thread: Essence lamp part 3

Lightbulb Essence lamp part 3

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=essence+lamp

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=essence+lamp

There is happened and changed a lot since this posts, but no much with the essence lamps. It should be cool if there was some new future for the lamp.
    my id was as following:
    each tier creates his own special colour of light (while equiped)
    like T1 - yellow light, T2 orange light, T3 light blue light, T4 red light etc
    each with their Tier of essence.
    I heared some rumours about dungeons and it would be cool to have some lights ready by then
    Greetings and Happy gamin'
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Thumbs up

A long time ago, as I recall, there were a couple of issues that were discussed in the forums relative to this issue.

First, originally, neither lamp worked. At some point, one of the devs took it upon himself to fix the sunscope by inserting the code to have it cast light. As I progressed as a Tinker, the Sunscope was always the first item that I'd make at each new tier. The Bronze Sunscope casts a smallish circle of light, mostly illuminating the user. The Mithril Sunscope casts light in a much larger circle of light. At night, it's really pretty to watch the light illuminate various aspects of Feladan as you enter the city.

Second, one of the lamps was originally supposed to do damage to undead, if I remember correctly. I suspect that maybe the Essence Lamp was intended to give light, and the Sunscope might have been used as a weapon vs. the Withered Aegis, but that's simply my supposition based on the way the names sound.

In any event, at this point, I think it would be cool if the Essence Lamp could fulfill that original function as a weapon. When equipped, it could do AoE damage to any undead mobs within it's range (bronze=short up to mithril=long). The Sunscope consumes recharge cells at a very modest rate, since it's just providing soft illumination. I would think that when such an item is used as a weapon, it would require a significantly higher (but not heinous) rate of consumption, ala Gangaf's Experimental Boots.

I concur that it's been way too long to allow the Essence Lamp to languish as a totally unused item for which we have the form, the material, and the desire to see it functional.

As an afterthought, it would be totally cool if the Essence Lamp were like the Oriental Paper Lanterns that are floated down the river at funerals. I would love to craft a lamp, and be able to sit it down (like the stupid grinning jack-o-lanterns that litter Istaria) and have it cast it's light, similar to the Lampposts scattered about (and which must be placed by a dev). Allow me to place a lamp in houses, in shops, along the road, in my gazebo... wherever. Limit me to six, to prevent server lag (inasmuch as some fool would craft 500 of them and stack em in Bristugo). Whatcha think, eh?

Long live Istaria!

Weston
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

I remember, from years ago, at the time the game came out there was a rather large screenshot gallery, and 1 screenshot showed a bunch of zombies literally covering their eyes and reeling from a player holding something in his hand that casted light.
    This verifies that objects of light were originally intended to be used as weapons against the undead, but the question is...

Did the devs have it working at one point, and it just got broken and never fixed? Or, did they fake the screenshot, intending to put this feature in the game at a later date?

Thread Information