Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to handle an exploiter

It was a for instance, I am not saying a rare sold for 50G lately. Like you said settle down. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Flindar
    explain to me how (in a virtually dead economy) driving the prices "UP" on items can be a bad thing
    I'm not gonna go over all the other points, there's no point, they've all been said. I'm against macroing and exploits, though I wouldn't grief the perpetrator and would only report them in an extreme case, but as you say, this economy is virtually dead.

Now I don't know about other shards, but on Unity most people give stuff for free or very cheap, because the economy is dead. As such, the only way to even get money is adventuring or selling stuff to pawnbrokers. Whilst there will, of course, be older players with lots of money saved from the past few years, there are many players less than 6 months old. Those players will be used to getting stuff cheap/free and therefore only worry about saving up money for a plot/lair or expert forms and comps.

So while driving the prices up on items would be good in theory, many players won't be able to afford it, or will have to spend days farming for the money and praying it hasn't sold yet. High priced items only work when there IS an economy, so that people can actually earn the money to pay for those items. Just my opinion anyway

Rhyssa's post on the 3 ways this hurts is dead on, imnsho.

If something someone is doing doesn't bother YOU personally, it doesn't naturally follow that it doesn't bother me in a LEGITIMATE way. People with lower standards don't have the right to say that the folks with higher standards are wrong, or too demanding.

MMO's are micro-societies. There has to be agreed upon rules to protect basic rights and ensure members don't injure each other. The agreed upon rules, per the EULA (let's go with spirit, not letter of the law here), says no AFK macroers. AFK macroers are also kill stealers, which is against EULA as well. I also happen to have a "I'm not gonna have a heart attack over what someone is doing in a game" attitude as well, but I will quietly, insistently, in the name of a sense of justice and fairness, insist that the rulers of the world apply their own rules. Or give the society means of handling it ourselves, which at the moment are rather limited. T'ain't no posses in 'Staria. Unless you can manage a mob train on the guilty party.

A quick summary of my opinion: Rules protect us from injuring one another. Apply the rules fairly and across the board, with reasonable recourse to those punished. And afk macroers should be taken down with extreme prejudice.
    Last edited by Foxfire; September 17th, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire
    People with lower standards don't have the right to say that the folks with higher standards are wrong, or too demanding.
    People who think their standards are higher don't have the right to say other people with supposedly lower standards are wrong or too less demanding.

I too think rules should be there to make life better and to regulate things but talking about higher and lower standards I think is rather arrogant.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    People who think their standards are higher don't have the right to say other people with supposedly lower standards are wrong or too less demanding.

I too think rules should be there to make life better and to regulate things but talking about higher and lower standards I think is rather arrogant.
    Maybe substitute "more demanding" for higher and "more accepting" for lower to make a more general, opinion-free opinion. I agree with your general point, which I was actually trying to show, that just cause someone has a different opinion than yours doesn't mean they don't have a legitimate right to claim, even if the other person doesn't claim that right themselves.

In this case, though, my opinion is that more demanding (and in this case, the right amount of demanding - i.e., enforce the rules on the books as they are) = the higher standard, and you can call me arrogant for having an opinion or believing that I'm right if you like.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Default I FULLY agree with the OP

As i see macroers to betray the community they are supposed to be living in - and often claim to be.

Example would be the cheater doing all to pay lowest/no taxes, while most others pay their taxes .

A community - that we ARE, even if some think we aren't due to the lack of physical presence - has to agree on basic rules and IMHO has to do all to keep up these rules. I'm not talking of self-justice, but the responsibility to report a "bad apple" if you get aware of one. We all know what happens if you don't throw this bad apple out of your fruitbowl ...

And to those stating "Hey, chill out. As long as they don't hurt me i do nuthin'" - sorry, that is typical for self-centered and in a way cowardish people if you ask me.

We all heard of people getting robbed/beaten up near or even in public places, with folks passing by and not caring. Different issue - same thinking: "Hey, it's not me getting whacked up ..."

Default Exploits? They don't exist!

The timing of this thread is most interesting. After a two week break from the game I decided to login last night and do a little adventuring. About 20 minutes in I was treated to the most astounding piece of aggro slaying I’ve ever seen. A single Ancient Dragon was killing elite blights by the dozens … and I mean dozens, without loosing a single point of health. I thought it was impressive to watch Bhalz and 12 work their magic on a large group of mobs … boy was I wrong!

With my curiosity peeked I decided to login my own dragon and watch from above. That and I wanted to make sure lag wasn’t causing my eyes to play tricks on me. Sure enough I sat there in awe as blight after blight fell at the feet of this “master� adventurer. That was something to behold … a constant barrage of elite blights doing no damage while hitting over and over and over again … did I mention the dragon was using CoT … that made it especially fun to watch. The WA was given a mighty beating last night … chalk one up for the “Gifted�!
    Master of the "Veiled Insult" .... Observe
    [veil]Your Mother was a hamster and your Father smells of elderberries[/veil]

Yea sure is interesting isnt it? Except Bhalz and 12 did it the old fashioned way, the honest way. Wanted to make sure to clarify that so you didnt get banned depending on how someone read what you wrote.

Yeah, I'm not making any claims that someone was doing anything wrong ... just that I was "impressed" by the mad skillz.
    Master of the "Veiled Insult" .... Observe
    [veil]Your Mother was a hamster and your Father smells of elderberries[/veil]

Cool Uhm..

First...my opinion is that if it's an in-game macro, let 'em afk all they want, TG put those macros in the game for our use, whether they meant us to go afk with them or not, well...I'm not sure. If this person who did this (and I know who it is and have seen him/her doing it a couple times) wants to play that way, then let them, if they get caught, they know the consequences for it and will probably get 'em. I'd say report 'em if you want to, *especially* if it's an outside of the game macro because that's not right IMO.

Interesting, I've observed the same phenomenon with lots of screenshots and log files, only at a different blight area. Actually, is there any spot where blights spawn by the dozens, cause if there is, I want to know. Anyway, this wasn't an ancient dragon with scales/armor, but a lowly level 1 monk in cloth armor killing blights "by the dozens" with them dying to cloak damage.

Anyone can send me a PM if they want to see any screenies or logs.

Thread Information