Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to handle an exploiter

Default How to handle an exploiter

If you repeatedly came across a character that was using both the "invis water" exploit combined with an afk combat macro, what would you do?

Report to EI ?

Alert the community ?

PM and ask him to stop ?

Sharduk

Default If I were you

I would report it to ei. Best way to handle that.

Report to the community, report to EI, and maybe try to train a high lvl mob to him so he attacks it and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharduk
    If you repeatedly came across a character that was using both the "invis water" exploit combined with an afk combat macro, what would you do?

Report to EI ?

Alert the community ?

PM and ask him to stop ?

Sharduk
    nothing and let it be?
    and to get to 25 characters

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I would not waste any effort on it for the following reasons...

1. AE/TG never did anything about it before and I can assure you that they knew.

2. Getting the community involved, only stirs up anger and frustration.

3. Where as it may assist him a tiny bit, the player in question has always done this kinda thing and It never has hurt me in any way, so why would I care?

4. My morals are not his morals. His allows him to use a 3rd party macro util, mine would not. I cannot expect him to have my moral perspective.

5. Perhaps EII has done nothing since they are probably just glad he is still a playing and PAYING subscription.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharduk

Report to EI ?

Alert the community ?

PM and ask him to stop ?

Sharduk
    I don't know the situation, but many people have bugged systems where water doesn't load, myself included. Often I'd be running along and drown a group member on follow b/c many times you can't tell where the water should be, particularly in unfamiliar areas. Just a possibility

As far as reporting exploitation, I don't. I pity those people, to me the journey is what counts, not the end result. However, I won't report them, why waste my time? I have better things ingame to do.....although, I will make special note of their names and never be in group with someone like that. I've found players who don't bother to invest in their adventuring skills and instead afk macro for levels make horrible group partners and I refuse to have my fun ruined by their laziness.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

1. report him
    2. get him killed
    3. rez him
    4. repeat 2 & 3

Premerge I got this one afk-mac over 100 DPs by the granites. Khao gave him another hundred. Too bad they can't have negative HPs. That way they'll always be dead when you rez them. Speed up the process.

So, in other words Phillip, you feel that its fine to grief the exploiter?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

if (exploiter is bothering you)

then do something else;

else do something else;

Aamer: Griefing is fine as long as it's not happening to you. </sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    1. AE/TG never did anything about it before and I can assure you that they knew.
    I don't speak for the ex-company, but last I heard there was some talk about having the server deal with water instead of the client. Right now there really is no easy way to keep people from deleting their water layer, the client is so open to modification that exploits like this are very tough to deal with. Even more problems come up when you can do things like get around the patcher or drop files into resources_override
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Default Hal

I walk up to the water and there is no water. I am not doing anything, whatsoever, to my client to cause this to happen. I will do a loadui, and the water reappears back. How is this an exploit?

A few of us have found those pre-merge AFK'ers that set up macros to level up unattended.

I have participated in groups that would lure the unsuspecting macro to his/her doom for multiple DPs

is it griefing? no... there is no player at the controls, now if the computer he is playing on thinks it's unfair... let it submit a complaint ticket

Otherwise... if you leave your character unattended, no one is responsible for the character's health but the player of that character.

Would you call Amadan a griefer if you were AFK in Dalimond or Bristugo and he decides to drop a spawn of Kwellens into the neighborhood and you die?

The price you pay for AFK
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    is it griefing? no... there is no player at the controls, now if the computer he is playing on thinks it's unfair... let it submit a complaint ticket
    The price you pay for AFK
    LOL, great point Justa.
    I'm a biped. Even when I look like a dragon, I'm a biped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    So, in other words Phillip, you feel that its fine to grief the exploiter?
    Yes. I feel that it's fine to grief the exploiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    I walk up to the water and there is no water. I am not doing anything, whatsoever, to my client to cause this to happen. I will do a loadui, and the water reappears back. How is this an exploit?
    That would be a bug with the last public client. There are also ways to purposefully remove the water from the world; In that case it's an exploit, I guess.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

I would just leave them be, why do I have have to be a hater?

I remember the pre-merge golem keepers at the iron fields on Kion mountain.

I was grinding iron there with my reaver dwarf Ungar while this player was afk atracting the golem keeper getting killed then ressurecting after the player was killed and this would go over and over again

These players went afk at such point that the golem keepers would be atracted towards the smelters and would attack the rest of us after killing which was our reason for giving this player more DP's

I know some players who can run under water which is really usefull to get water golems to spawn.

If I knew which bug allowed that exploit, I'd report the bug (but not the player).

If he was a member of a guild I'd contact his guild leader and ask him/her how he/she felt about these actions. And leave it to them to set him right, if they chose to do so.

And I myself would never group with the exploiter, nor craft anything for him. And if his guild would not find anything wrong with his actions, I'd be reluctant in the future to do any deals with that guild.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    Yes. I feel that it's fine to grief the exploiter.
    Hehe, since they are presumably afk or otherwise not at the keyboard... You're not griefing anyone .

The shadow shard had a few afk combat macros... (some extremely clever ones at that) and they provided me with hours of entertainment as I crafted situations to kill them, or otherwise move them to a mob free area.

good times.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

As mentioned before the problem is that when it comes to buying that rare piece that only pops up once a year, those people whom have macro'd afk have tons of gold and can easily buy that item for whatever cost. This also causes the market to go up based on a price that was not influenced by the ecomomy going rate.

I hate to say it but since no one else will, and I'm not shy. The fact is that there are some people using this afk marcoing that are popular in the hz world. it would put you in shock if you knew some of the people who have or are doing this. Maybe thats why TG did nothing. But as far as what I know of this subject and some representatives of TG, they did not support this.

It does not bother me directly to much that I see this happening. I think its sad and I really don't get it since the whole point of the game is to enjoy the experience. I dont know if these people just like all the gold they can get or what. Or if its just the fact they are cheating that gets them off. but indirectly yes I think if they buy something with money that wasnt earned that a crime.

Jayne

Thread Information