Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EI and the Future of Horizons 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Nagafen
    (...) I can tell you that former Tulga employees are not going to be the only people working on Horizons and the team is going to continue to grow.
    (...)

The team is going to continue to grow...
    announcements like this raise hopes and are a fine antidote against the 'cassandra attitude'.

Thank you, Nagafen.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Default Hi

Please, let ei respond to this question, officially. While we are glad that you can share your knowledge of this tool, its best for ei to handle it , officially. Thank you

Vlisson,
    I'm afraid I can't get much more specific about when we're going to make an official announcement, regarding the direction of development. The game certainly has some shortcomings, but I don't see any point to speculating as to why they exist. Throwing stones at Tulga & Artifact accomplishes nothing. It is our intention to learn from the past and continue to move forward.
    Let me rephrase Vlission's query if I may.

What are the issues with Horizons that EI sees holding the game back, and what does EI intend to do in order to address those problems ?

-EI is in negotiations with GN about the Unity shard. The results of those negotiations have not yet been determined.
    Can you say something about the progress of those negotiations?

Can you give a short summary of your goals (don't support unity aynmore? buy the unity database and do a shard merger? work closer with GN and let them do the european business? take over the european business by yourself? do something to grow the player base on Unity and not only in NA? etc.?)

What is the timeframe we can expect to hear about results? (of couse GN states that they already answered EI's questions so I would assume that there already are some results (even if not final yet))

Please, give us some facts.

Director of Marketing, EI Interactive Nagafen's Avatar

Tzael,
    I've not been able to get in touch with a programmer today, to get more specific information about what fixes they're considering. I'm working towards finding an answer to your and Vlisson's question, though.

Saphosar,
    I realize that I've offered few details about the Unity negotiations and I'm sorry about that. Since the discussion is still in progress, there's not much information that would be appropriate for me to release. As it is, I don't even have information to keep confidential. I've not been able to confirm anything and I think that posting speculation would be a bad idea.

I left this game long ago because of issues with spawn lag. Running into an area and standing for say 2 minutes then suddenly dieing from god knows what. Then monsters begin appearing letting me know something was in the area. I know it's not my machine, 2 Gig DDR, Athlon XP 3800+ with Dual SLI geforce 6800's;even my Hardrives are Sata Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptors in Raid 0. Oh and a gigabit Ethernet port with DSL. All the lag had to be in the client and on the server end. What if any changes are you planning to do to the client to fix this. I loved the game, Hell I helped beta it, but the lag just killed it for me.

As it is, I don't even have information to keep confidential. I've not been able to confirm anything and I think that posting speculation would be a bad idea.
    Sorry to hear this, but of course you are right. Posting speculations is bad.

Anyway, thanks for your quick answer as I think at least this is a big step forward.

Regards,
    Sap

Tzael,
    I've not been able to get in touch with a programmer today, to get more specific information about what fixes they're considering. I'm working towards finding an answer to your and Vlisson's question, though.
    Thankyou for checking with the programmers, although I'm not sure that they are the ones who can answer my query. My query is not intended to be perceived as requesting a technical angle. In fact I would very much appreciate it if for the sake of answering this query you throw 'technical' out of the window, and instead contemplate the conceptual, the implementation, the lure.

Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarn_de_Diabolic
    I left this game long ago because of issues with spawn lag. Running into an area and standing for say 2 minutes then suddenly dieing from god knows what. Then monsters begin appearing letting me know something was in the area. I know it's not my machine, 2 Gig DDR, Athlon XP 3800+ with Dual SLI geforce 6800's;even my Hardrives are Sata Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptors in Raid 0. Oh and a gigabit Ethernet port with DSL. All the lag had to be in the client and on the server end. What if any changes are you planning to do to the client to fix this. I loved the game, Hell I helped beta it, but the lag just killed it for me.
    I can assure you that it's not your system or connection. I'm running top of the line stuff myself right now, and it still happens. This is also the same reason I left the first time. Or rather the final draw. If there is any way of changing the spawn system from localized spawning to world wide like it was originally, that would be a HUGE improovement to the entire game.

See this thread http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6259 for the reason for the slow spawn rate. It is not lag it is the way it is programed. The ability to fix things on the fly with no downtime is also the reason why we have the slow spawns. Now back to your normal Q&A session.

Fridlekh

1) Is there anything which could facilitate change which is currently NOT on hold pending evaluation?

2) Of everything that IS on hold, what can we expect to be completely evaluated first and acted upon in some way?

Tzael,
    This is not a good sign, in my book. There should be no reason that would reasonably explain why it takes more than a day to get in contact with a developer to get such simple details.

I am a developer for a much bigger company and I can tell you that even though clients have to go through support and several other people before getting to me, the entire process has less than a 4 hour turn around. Sometimes less than an hour, for that matter. The issue may not be resolved in that time, but I can definitely tell the client what it is I am working on, and what spot they have in my dev queue. And I am just one of more than 20 developers.

As I posted elsewhere, my patience with 'wait and see' is fading rapidly. It has been 60 days, we should know more by now.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

saphosar,
    Danu just made a post, regarding the Unity negotiations in another thread. This might shine a little more light on what's going on.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=15324&page=2

Fridlekh,
    One of the first things we're going to be focusing on is the development of lore and finding ways to better incorporate it into the quests and gameplay. Recording the history of Istaria doesn't necessitate a huge amount of development and we're planning on including the players in this process. The idea is that the game will have a newly enriched story and history that will be further supported by the new developments.

Tzael,
    I spoke with one of our developers and he summed up their repair efforts as being focused on three things. 1)Fixing Bugs 2)Making the Client more efficient and 3)Making careful modifications to gameplay, in order to further involve players in the story of Istaria.

Theolaerynn,
    My being unable to get in touch with a developers had little to do with their availability and much to do with my own busy schedule. They've always been happy to chat with me, when I can find a spare moment to do so. I'm sorry to hear that you're unsatisfied with the information that I've shared and I hope that you'll stick around to experience the great things we have in store.

Tzael,
    I spoke with one of our developers and he summed up their repair efforts as being focused on three things. 1)Fixing Bugs 2)Making the Client more efficient and 3)Making careful modifications to gameplay, in order to further involve players in the story of Istaria.

Theolaerynn,
    My being unable to get in touch with a developers had little to do with their availability and much to do with my own busy schedule. They've always been happy to chat with me, when I can find a spare moment to do so. I'm sorry to hear that you're unsatisfied with the information that I've shared and I hope that you'll stick around to experience the great things we have in store.
    I understand you are a busy guy, Naggy, and I can respect that. I would imagine you have a lot to do.

But from your reply to Tzael you surely must understand where I am coming from. Your reply has 3 nice marketing bullets, but have less substance than a presidential campaign speach. To summerize, the developer said they are working on stuff.

Or translated more specifically:
    1)Fixing Bugs - We are fixing broken stuff.

2)Making the Client more efficient - We are working on the broken client.

3)Making careful modifications to gameplay, in order to further involve players in the story of Istaria - We are working on design stuff.

Those three bullets cover the entire area of game development: Bugs, Client, and Content. It doesn't even say if the content is new content or old content, but hints heavily at old.

I am sure it looks good on a poster somewhere, but it is quite meaningless.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Theolaerynn,
    I assure you that I wasn't hinting at anything.The development discussed in my last post was referring, in its entirety, to the repair and augmentation of existing content, because the question, to which it was responding, was specifically about what we were doing to repair existing content. As previously stated, in this thread, the work to repair existing content is going to be carried out parallel to the development of new content.

Would it be possible for the WM to do raids as events while you're doing repairs. If I'm not mistaken there were already parts to do such things in game. Something like this would be alot of fun for the community.

I would just be happy to see fix patches appear for a while.

I have another question.

So now the billing has been broken for about 2 months, can we expect this to be a gift from EI as for us being patient in giving them time or will you start sending the bill for the game time we had once you finally fixed it?

Theolaerynn,
    I assure you that I wasn't hinting at anything.The development discussed in my last post was referring, in its entirety, to the repair and augmentation of existing content, because the question, to which it was responding, was specifically about what we were doing to repair existing content. As previously stated, in this thread, the work to repair existing content is going to be carried out parallel to the development of new content.
    Nagafen, English may not be my first language, but I certainly picked it up at a very early age and consider myself relatively fluent with its usage.

My question obviously needs clarification because you have misinterpreted it twice now, three times if you also consider your misinterpretation of Vlisson's original query that my own was loosely based upon.

Here it is in a one-liner:

What do EI see as being the problems with Horizons within its current implementation ?

Now as you answer that, please forget about it from a programming perspective, forget about it from a design perspective. Look at it as a whole from EI's collective perspective, then please answer the question.

Thank you once again, I appreciate you are trying however I am going to put the misinterpretation down to my own ineptness with the English language.

Tzael,
    I think I understand now. In another forum, one of the previous developers said that Horizons was the result of numerous individual projects, and I think there is a lot of truth to that. Horizons has so many wonderful features, but they don't all work together, as well as they could. What EI plans to do is organize all of those features, so that they compliment each other, and coordinate all of the development efforts towards a common goal. The idea is for the lore, the quests, the schools, the events and the new developments to all be related.
    Is that closer to the answer that you were looking for?

Also, considering the quality of the grammar in your posts, I never would've guessed that English wasn't your first language. I think, perhaps, it is my own English that could use a little help.

Sunuke,
    I know that the WMs did one or two small raids, a few weeks ago, while they were learning the software. I haven't yet heard any specific plans for similar events, but I'm sure that they'll be putting something together, as soon as they can.

Thread Information