Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the Devs: Can we police ourselves?

First off tant, this is specific to chaos and not order.

Second, this is not in reference to simply hunting these mobs with some regularity.

This is specifically a group of players that hog these mobs to such an extent that others have not been able to get loot from SOG or Valkor in months. This unnamed group, does not take damage and has toons stationed there to alert them when the mobs pop.

This is a clear violation of the paragraph I quote above, and has been turned over to EII to deal with. My question to them still, is can we do anything ourselves to police this situation?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    First off tant, this is specific to chaos and not order.

Second, this is not in reference to simply hunting these mobs with some regularity.

This is specifically a group of players that hog these mobs to such an extent that others have not been able to get loot from SOG or Valkor in months. This unnamed group, does not take damage and has toons stationed there to alert them when the mobs pop.

This is a clear violation of the paragraph I quote above, and has been turned over to EII to deal with. My question to them still, is can we do anything ourselves to police this situation?
    Ah, sorry if I missed this bit of clarification in an earlier post, Aamer, as I thought you were posing the dual questions of (a) whether "spawn camping" is or should be considered a violation of the EULA generally, and (b) what, if anything, any server community can or should do about it. My earlier response was directed to those general questions.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Very good, clear, way to put it Aamer without breaking the rules. I couldnt have said it better myself. And with that I dont think much else can be said in a post. if it got heated then more would be said which would obviously break some rule.

Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Guess we have to wait and see
    Man I wished I had a dollar for everytime anyone has said this since EI took over (there isn't enough money in the world to account for that phrase prior to EI). They have had it long enough to be able to produce something tangible, but they haven't even managed enough of a dev team to give us more than a token name or two.

We are at the 60 day mark, I expect more than rare posts by anyone from EI that knows anything. Naggy is nice window dressing, but given the nature of his position it is surface trivia. Again, no offense to Naggy, I think he is fulfilling his role well. But after 60 days I do not think it is unreasonable to get a little information of substance.

It will be interesting to see how long EI is able to cultivate its mushroom farm.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

As far as killing Reklar and other boss mobs goes, I don't think there's anything offensive about someone taking control of a spawn. Reklar, Valkor, SoG... etc. All people need to do it get together a better group and take them on :/ Thus far, it seems like time's wasted on arguing and less is being done to become strong enough to compete. It's in the hands of the players since a rep of EI or Tulga has yet to step in. Make it fun... get together a group that's better and compete. That's what seems to make sense to me. No other game has these issues as far as camped boss mobs go. If you're part of the strong group, you get in on the kill. If not, you either have to beat the other group, or wait 'till they're done :/ It's nothing out of the ordinary, we just have a smaller player base. So, it's in our hands how we handle it.

Well...as far as the Umyarr killing goes, let the bipeds do it, I know I've done it a couple times, not for the loot but to see how well I could do it. And on the Reklar/Valkor/SoG mobs, if a group dedicates the time to killing them every time they're up (which Reklar is the least killed out of the three *chuckles*) then best of luck to them because they are definately working hard at it.
    Last edited by Abraxes; September 20th, 2006 at 03:02 AM.

Many have concluded that this can apply to spawn "hogging". Hogging herein defined as camping a spawn to kill a periodically spawning mob, so as to prevent others from having the chance to kill said mob.
    I don't believe that anyone is prevented from camping mobs. On Chaos all the boss mobs with the exception of Reklar have been camped since the day they were introduced into the game. How does one prevent anyone else from camping? The only thing preventing anyone from camping these mobs is them not putting the time and effort into camping them. Does anyone remember all the camping that went on for plots, when the new ones were first introduced? Was it a violation of EULA that some were able to click on that plot marker and buy before any one else could? It prevented others from getting that plot, yes? Bottom line, you want these mobs, camp them with a group that can kill them and loot them, simple enough.

Examples could include:
    Killing Umyaar for sport by bipeds to prevent dragons from completing thier quest.
    Killing Reklar every time he spawns to prevent others from getting his loot.
    Someone's getting the loot, yes? Is this against the EULA? If someone kills a zombie ogre (rare spawn) and a toe drops, does that not also prevent someone else from being able to get that same zombie ogre toe that dropped? How is that preventing someone else from killing it if one group goes out to kill it for themselves? What would stop another group from doing the same? There have been multiple groups at any spawn, including the boss mobs. It's whoever gets to the mob first, or is this game different from any other game?

Oddly enough, I have observed the same phenomenon, I took multiple screenshots, engaged in a dialogue with said player that was killing SoG and was informed that triple teched primal vengeance scales were causing SoG do to 0 damage. It was very strange, as my triple teched primal vengeance scales have never allowed me to solo SoG and take 0 damage as a dragon. I know there was a certain sorcerer that camped and killed SoG religiously, even pulling him out from under the noses of dragon/cleric/healer groups arriving to kill him. This is probably one of the most famous, respected players on Chaos, a sslick. I don't believe I ever heard any EULA violations threatened against him, nor should there have been. It was a skilled player that was dedicated to camping and killing him and to my knowledge, he was the only biped to have ever regularly solo'd SoG. My hat's off to him. I've even personally watched him step aside as another group got the pull on him first. Now how is that a violation of anything?

I also heard a player solo'd Fafnir. Was this cheating the community or a EULA violation? He didn't invite anyone else, pretty skilled doing that, probably took an awful long time too.

asdf

Death-Knell, Why can't we police ourselves?

My thought is that if the SHARD voted and authorized a few folks to be constables, they could witness any disruptive activity, and with screenshots, send this to EII for review.

These constables would have NO power over others, just a responsibility to report disruptive activity. EII would be the Court of the land, where anyone reported as being disruptive, could work it out with EII.

With something like this in place, we would at least keep the issue infront of EII. Now, perhaps some don't view this as important. However, if enough players on a shard actually vote a few into these constable positions, then I have to conclude that the shard feels it's enough of a problem to warrant this.

If they DON'T want such a body to report disruptive activity, then it won't happen.

actually - about the part of constables being designed individuals charged with reporting "disruptive behavior" --

Can't you do that already? ... Designate yourself as a constable and report all the "disruptive behavior" you see .. everyone has that ability.

Thread Information