Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AGC conference interview with Dave Bowman

Actually Danu's reply is excellent and should be a positive for both sides of the bashing fence.

Jayne

Hummmm I was told Atari was where the pressure was. But it would seem to me that the decision would have been from the investors of the game, not DB. But I am just speculating based on whom sold the game and such. Not that it matters at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna
    You are incorrect, Horizons was mapped out before DB came on the scene, David Allen was thrown out and DB stepped in to create a watered-down Horizons. (Even HZ without pvp could be exceptional, with castle plots and an underwater world to explore etc...) You probably feel protective of him, thinking that it was his imagination that brought forth Istaria...however, if you had seen the original forums and original game website, you would know. More lore and content ideas/plans were present on the original website than ever made it into the game. (And that website was up long before DB appeared.) What DB had to decide on was how to choose which kind of content entered the game, and which didn't. He apparently judged things like castle plots were too difficult to impliment, and he was quickly proven wrong by other contemporary games such as Shadowbane, UO. Apparently he also thought that dragons shouldn't be able to fish. And people shouldn't be able to swim. Come on, Dark Age of Camelot didn't have a water-world at first, but at least there, water was a plane on which one could move horizontally across, if not vertically. It's not difficult.
    Just be sure to include the reason Allen was chucked out. And remember that Horizons, despite several years of development, was vaporware at the time.

Not that I am defending DB, I am not at all. The way I see it he is the only one that came out of this reletively well off. He owns the engine, the one bit of code that most folks agree actually works well, and the place where the majority of time was spent. Remember, Horizons was just a showcase to sell the real product, which was an extensible engine.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

I can't believe I'm going to agree with Skatipuss (sp). He's right.

As my Horizons experience only extends back one year a lot of what has been discussed on this post is new to me and really interesting. I look forward to part 2 of the interview and what EI has to say about HZ and especially about its future direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartikus
    AOO you are actually the one who is mistaken. Atari was the publisher of the game. They had ZERO creative input in the product itself. They dont care and probably dont know if Horizons is a betty Crocker virtual Easy Bake oven or a arcade style FPS. They take a product that they feel has merit and agree to dsitribute it through their channels. As a show of their vested intrest in the success of distrobution, most publishing deals include a royalty paid to the developers of the product up front at the signing of the publishing contract.

What happened to Horizons is that David Bowman actually started believing his own spin that the game would be ready for release when it was and he agreed to that date when he accepted pre-payment of several hundred thousand dollars from Atari for the contract. David set the date for the release, not Atari. David said what would be in the game, not Atari. David released a game that wasnt even close to beta quality never mind release quality.

That is how publishing deals are done.
    I definitivly disagree on the last sentence...
    Maybe it was this way with HZ... Then HZ had to be a very special game for Atari or so...
    I don't know, and at that point of time I don't care...

But it's definitivly NOT the usual way publishing deals are done....
    The publisher has the power to release the game, even when the developer still says that it's not finished...
    Last edited by Garfonso; September 21st, 2006 at 11:02 PM.

At least Garfonso knows. Take a look at many poor game releases, actually go troll the Atari forums and see how all their horrible games got released. You'll see the actual devs saying they couldn't help it, Atari forced their hand.
    You see there are these contract thingies, you might have heard of them.. you sign them, then the publisher waits tlll their time, and your game isn't ready? well tough, you have a deadline, it is getting released, and you will have these features in the contract even if you have to BS them in.
    It is marketing, simply.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    um, madDrawf, I don't think you understand publisher/developer relationships at all. Do some research, this has even been posted in the past. It is infact typical of Atari in many games.

Atari hasen't developed nor have they had any creative influence on any game since they last sold their console systems. In fact this isn't the same atari we all grew up with in the 80's. Atari has since became a publisher that used its name to develop and maintain distribution channels. They take on a game and get a cut of the profits from selling it and the atari name gets slapped on the box for brand recognition.

Atari had no say in the release of horizons nor in its creation. The investors the ones who invested millions into HZ were the ones pining for its release. Atari did not invest a single dime into Horizons.

My point is that people like to blame everyone but TulgaAE themselves for the games problems. Its not bowmans fault its not tulga's fault its all

1) ataris fault blah blah balh
    2) the investors fault blah blah blah
    3) the uncooperative creditors fault blah blah blah

Its always someone elses fault other than the people that designed and released it. Well thats not how it works in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso
    I definitivly disagree on the last sentence...
    Maybe it was this way with HZ... Then HZ had to be a very special game for Atari or so...
    I don't know, and at that point of time I don't care...

But it's definitivly NOT the usual way publishing deals are done....
    The publisher has the power to release the game, even when the developer still says that it's not finished...

yes if Atari was a vivendi or an Electronic Arts. But Atari is not like either of these publishers. Thats where the misconception lays. They printed the box burned the cd's and distributed the game. They had no financial investment in horizons like Vivendi does in WoW or its other games or EA in its various game franchises. How do I know this ?? They weren't listed as a creditor period when AE filed for Bankruptcy. One would think they would be on the creditor list as far as investors would they not ?? So yes I am very familar with how publishers and developers intermingle.

I don't know but as I said above I'm tired of the blame for Horizons production and release being shoveled onto everyone anyone else other than those that created it and maintained it. They could have still recovered just fine. Other games recovered fine from more disasterous releases and events than Horizons suffered through.

But once again I can't recall ever Bowman and Co. placing the blame at Ataris feet. This was cooked up somewhere to explain why Horizons didn't get the extra 6 months to a year of development time it needed. Besides Bowman took great pride in letting everyone know exactly that he was the big boss man and no one pushed him around.

*shrugs* I dunno but the time for blame is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDwarf
    *shrugs* I dunno but the time for blame is long gone.
    You would think so, but when DB himself deigns to give an interview on the HZ sale it invites commentary from interested parties (i.e. HZ players).

Just to clear something up. They released the game in such rough form because they were out of development money. The choice was to release like that or shut down without releasing anything at all. Without more money they could not delay the release.

Perhaps others would think that they should have shut down, or perhaps some people think that DB should have magically conjured up a couple million dollars so they could delay the relase and polish it up. I think both are pretty unrealistic.

And the reason they were out of development money with the game in such rough form was because DA squandered millions trying to pretend he could manage a major and COMPLICATED game development project. Too bad DA didn't have the management skill and game development experience to match his obvious (and only) ability which was sales.

DB definately made mistakes, but show me someone who doesn't make mistakes. The biggest mistakes I think he made were NOT the ones people are always touting.

The comment above about Atari demanding quests was interesting, as I just read a dev commenting that the quest system was added very late in development. That explains a lot.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    You see there are these contract thingies, you might have heard of them.. you sign them, then the publisher waits tlll their time, and your game isn't ready? well tough, you have a deadline, it is getting released, and you will have these features in the contract even if you have to BS them in.
    Then don't sign the contract until you're sure you can meet it? I think you just countered the point didn't you? DB was still responsible as it was his signiture? He chose the investor too, the publisher?

Not that it matters now as that was WELL in the past and quite honestly seeing how development has gone so far I don't think we'd have had much more different now if he had that time...

What happened in the past happened. It's a crappy past, the game was drug through the mud by every owner [DA and DB] so far and it's continueing the trend as far as EII is concerned [Billing.] Hopefully things will work out, nobody knows. We're starting from square one... again... for the third time [More if you include beta and the 2 black outs?]

I think this horse has been flogged into a puddle of undescribable goop.

[edited::comment about how this thread came to be... I thought i was in one thread, when obviously I was in another... *Finds a big cup of cofee*]

Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie, house, back yard. lol

lol well all seem to have spoken about the old dev's in game, Ophleae and Dotcher Danu,

question for current EI staff..

WHERE or WHEN can you ever bee online to support your players from ALL around the globe instead of just your local areas??

i live in Australia and i have NEVER seen ONE devo online sice, Ophleae, Dotcher left. not one..

how can this be explained??

tpc

I've not spent a lot of time reading every post in this thread or the article. So my comments are just thoughts in my own head.

Someone released a game that had great potential, regardless of who that someone was it happened. It wasn't ready for release but they released it and for the time I spent playing it, it was a lot of fun. Even with the buggyness.

The problem is they didn't get the subscribers they thought. I think they thought they would get Everquest type subscriber numbers and they didn't. At that point they lost money and money and more money. Then they had to cut resources which meant customer service and support went down and so did sub numbers. Then in a effort to save more money they consolidated shards, and to help stave off the exodus of subs made it a "quest" to kinda make it fun. And I thought that was kinda fun actually.

Then WOW was released and many flocked there. The Arop and all the other things like lairs and laircrafting and guild plots and what not, imo were not ready for release either but put out there as "good enough" in an attempt to keep what they had, and maybe generate more interest. If they could get enough people...well more money = more people to work on game, then they could maybe fix those after the fact. At least I think they were thinking that.

What you have left is what you see now. I thought abotu coming back but i'm scared away by billing issues and account managment issues. I think the game can still be good, and I think the idea is great! But the more time that passes the more people leave or don't come back (like me). And also the more time for newer games to come out, to steal attention away with newer better graphics engines, less lag and more support.

This is a tough market for smaller companys in my opinion. I would hope some day that everything about this game would be perfect and bug fixes would be minor. I don't see how anyone can do this, on the fly, while people still try to play the game. Too little resources spread too thin, take too much time and are too rushed to be put out to make subs happy.

Thats just my take, and you can take it or leave it. It was not meant to offend anyone and if mods want to move it or edit it, I understand.

Maybe some day I will fly my dragon again. Or swing Tinker Belles big axe lol. Finally getting to Arop was fun, releasing the dryads was fun, heck competing with other shards to do it first! was fun. I hope the fun comes back. Heck i used to think digging slate endlessly was fun (well not at first but you get used to it! ) hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Consecrated.ECSS
    lol well all seem to have spoken about the old dev's in game, Ophleae and Dotcher Danu,

question for current EI staff..

WHERE or WHEN can you ever bee online to support your players from ALL around the globe instead of just your local areas??

i live in Australia and i have NEVER seen ONE devo online sice, Ophleae, Dotcher left. not one..

how can this be explained??
    On Order.. we have a WM on most nights.. and he is a hell'uva RP'er.

Of course time restaints may be an issue for you being across the international date line. But we are being attended to!!

I was kinda hoping that all this stuff would end with DANU's post. He summed it up IMO.

Can't change the past.. just make a better tomorrow.

DB and the others have moved on. Lets go forward and PLAY!! We have the best community in the MMO world. Please, lets get back to that.
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    I don't mean to be offensive towards anyone in particular, or anything, but...

I find it.... I dunno, strange? Appalling, even, that you guys claim to love Horizons so much, and the cool things that it has, that no other MMORPG does, but yet you are so quick to trash the guy who made it all possible? From what I have read, and heard, he played a Large role in launching his "baby" in 2001, so I gather that this game is largely of his conception.

If you guys hate David Bowman so much, why do you continue to play the game that he made? I think Horizons is an awesome game, we just need a larger staff who can iron out all of the bugs, and make some little tweaks here and there. If they do that, and increase the subs, then EI will own one of the greatest MMOs the internet has ever known.

I just find it a little strange you guys are so quick to trash Mr. Bowman, after all he did to try to keep this game running for you guys. I assume you guys still play... if you play, I assume you play becuase you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, that means the game has at least a few things you like, right?

Meh, I'm running around in circles...the game has its bugs, and such, but I think prior to the EI sale, and the T6 nerfs, they were doing very good with Horizons. Releasing ARoP, Lairs, Lairshaping, keeping Events running, adding a new Spirit Isle for newbies, fixing things up, improving the Client, these were very good things that they did. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Mr. Bowman for all of the game's current woes...

--Dhalin

he did not make this game, he stole it.

AGC announced that this week the second part of the 'world smiths' interview should be posted.

Then we can read two (at least partially) different views of horizons and its past and future.

All interviewees have their own agenda, and they want to present a certain view of events.

The entire interview shall not be able to give any reliable information. It's public relations stuff, for individuals and companies.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolis
    he did not make this game, he stole it.
    See my post above. There was little to steal, and what was released was significantly different than what was inherited.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

and what was released was anything but significant.

Thread Information