Thread: Disabling the Windows Key

Default Disabling the Windows Key

Took a look through this forum, found nothing for it. I think I found an alternative to ripping it out *Uses silicone rubber keyboard*.

Note 1: To get that long code in there you have to type it out by hand, can't be pasted.
    Note 2: You may also need to type "regedit" in the run command if regedt32 doesn't work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q216893/

To disable the Windows key, do the following steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK.
    2. On the Windows menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE on Local Machine.
    3. Click the System\CurrentControlSet\Control folder, and then double-click the Keyboard Layout folder.
    4. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, type in Scancode Map, click REG_BINARY as the Data Type, and then click OK.
    5. Type 00000000000000000300000000005BE000005CE000000000 in the Data field, and then click OK.
    6. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.
    ACKNOWLEDGE//SUBMIT!

Very nice, I used to use a program called winkeykill, but this takes away the need for 1 more extra program running in the background.

Just curious why someone would want to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW
    Just curious why someone would want to do that?
    *Play the game and get caugh in a big battle with the WA*
    *Accidentally hit the Windows key while trying to hit the CTRL key*
    *Get kicked out of Full Screen Mode back to the Windows desktop*
    *Log back in the game since it crashed on the way back to full screen*
    *See your character dead*

Mostly, it's to prevent from accidentally hitting it and being kicked back to the desktop when playing the game in full screen mode. Some people don't have problem returning to the game, but for some other, the game crashes.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

An easy way is to buy a Logitech G15 keyboard. It has a switch to disable the windows keys in game mode.
    Gimbold, Ancient dwarf on Chaos
    Mottle, Ancient dragon on Chaos

Heh, at $99.00 USD it doesn't seem like the economical option, plus it is still vulnerable to spills. Just my preferences,
    ACKNOWLEDGE//SUBMIT!

I prefer the screwdriver approach... my last windows key is glued on to the wall somewhere. That would certainly be cheaper to get an inexpensive keyboard and pop the key out than to get an expensive one with a disabling function.
    If that keymapping approach works, though, that's pretty nice. (I'm more comfortable fiddling with hardware than with software, myself.)
    Last edited by Gremblthrg; October 23rd, 2006 at 07:37 AM. Reason: lurning to spel

Blog Entries

I don't know why they made the windows key on keyboards, it dumb and made the keyboards smaller.
    I hate small keyboards anyhow, so I tend to look for keyboards that are like my dad's old one(which is extremely heavy compared to most today) and try to make sure the keys are rather large.

The same way I don't understand why Keyboards are goimg USB, because lets face it, if anyone knows anything about Computers, USB is the worse thing to have on a keyboard because you can't work with the boot up screen if you need to make a quick adjustment in DOS.

Then again, I was raised around Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.0, so at my young age, I'm the only one in my age group that even knows how to read direction files in Dos, delete files, and reformat a hard-drive all from the world of DOS.

I hear ya. I grew up on an 8088 machine that JUST ran DOS. Never liked Win 3.1 when I finally ran into it on an 286 machine, and never really liked it since.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

I have always opted for the removing of the windows key myself too

As for dos here is a new fun fact you can add a dos file to your run dos disk to use USB ports kind of like you can add file to use your CD or DVD drive now just thought you mite wish to know that as I do a yearly drive clean up myself from dos and use a USB board.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Thread Information