Thread: Duel core processor tweak?

Default Duel core processor tweak?

I'm not sure this is nessisary, but I heard somthing about a tweak for HZ to optimize it's usage of duel core processors. The forum search doesn't seem to turn anything up on it though. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Can't guarantee it will do anything worthwhile, you'd need a developer to confirm its usefulness.

In your Horizons folder you'll find alchemy.ini. Look for the line commented out that reads '; multiThreaded = true'. Remove the '; ' from the start of the line, ensure it is set to true, then see if it helps improve things for you.

If there are specific tweaks for dual-core processors then I am not currently aware of them. This is the one tweak I am aware of but it has been a long time since I enabled it for my old dual Athlon MP system.

Havent heard of a change to hz itself for dual core cpus either.

There is a 'dual core optimzer' for amd64 x2 cpus though.

The "dual core optimizer" really isnt an optimizer, so much as a fix. I've you've got a dual core athlon 64, you might notice that your animations and camera are very jerky. The experience can be described as small jumps backwards. You can check if this is a dual core problem by using the task manager to set the cpu affinity for horizons.exe to one cpu only. If the problem goes away, it can be addressed by the dual core optimizer.

The problem has to do with the timestamp counters on each core getting out of sync with each other and the fix keeps them in sync. Using it does not make a single-threaded application use both cores simultaneously, it is not 'reverse hyperthreading' and it will not make your hair grow back.

My keyboard is a Logitech G15, which has the LCD screen on it. I use that to gauge the activity of my processor. I've noticed that HZ seems to allready utilize both processors, though it kind of goes back and forth and sometimes overutilizes one over the other.

I've not noticed any animation issues at all, other then ones that existed before. And is not really the reason I posted for. Just heard about this somewhere and couldn't find it again, so I was wondering what it was.

As far as I know, each program wich uses multiple threads is 'optimized' for more then one core... or will run significantly better.
    And hz uses multiple threads.
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

It might just be my imagination, but since I've enabled this option, it seems my processors stay more balanced while playing HZ. I think the option might only partain to the graphics part of HZ, and not the entire client functionality.

Default Re: Duel core processor tweak?

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I've tried to enable the multi threaded line but every time I do as soon as I log into the game the line is disabled, commented out again as it is before, any idea's why?

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    As far as I know, each program wich uses multiple threads is 'optimized' for more then one core... or will run significantly better.
    And hz uses multiple threads.
    I was under the impression that HZ ran on 1 single thread. Only the patcher uses multiple threads. Could be wrong though.

HZ does indeed use several threads... but only one main thread for rendering and resource loading... (which is why loading anything from disk makes your framerate drop)

Thread Information