Thread: Missing file error.

Default Missing file error.

Hi folks. I'm trying to check in and see how the game's been coming since I last played, but I'm having troubles getting Horizons installed. I've tried all three of the download/patch options for installation. The full installer download was corrupted, and the other two have both given me an error while patching. (See attached.)

I found a couple of references to that file in past posts. One gave a direct link to the file as a workaround, but that link is now dead. Another got a dev post about making sure .NET v1.1 is installed, which it is on my system.

Did this ever get addressed? Is there a new location where a direct download link can be found?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try upgrading to .NET 2.0 using Windows Update (Custom scan not Express. Express will not find it)
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

Default Re: Missing file error.

I am having this exact error as screenshot'd by the OP. I have both .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed.

Any other ideas, or do I need a .NET service pack or 3.0 with some of the new changes?

1.1 should work, since that's what the game officially supports. You shouldn't need to upgrade for HZ.

This may or may not be the cause, but apparently I wasn't fully patched. When your Internet connection is disconnected during the patching process, the downloader just skips over the remaining files, then indicates to the user it is done. In addition, you have an up to date master_list file, so unless you do a Full Scan, you won't resume patching.

I'll let everyone know if this does indeed go away after ensuring via a Full Scan that I am completely patched.

Bah, time limit on edits ftl...

Anyway, my suspicions were correct. This error is a result of trying to start the game with an out-of-date client. It can happen because unless you do a Full Scan, only the master_list file is checked, which is the very first file the patcher updates. If your Internet connection is disconnected, the patcher just skips the remaining files. The next time you launch HZ, the master_list is checked and the patcher thinks you're kosher. When the launcher tries to fire up, you then have problems because of obsolete libraries.

If anyone ever gets this error in the future, do a Full Scan and you should see that you have files to update.

Thread Information