Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why are YOU still playing?

Quote Originally Posted by MadDwarf
    heh perhaps its because some of us cannot stand the sugar coated crap that happens a lot. Praise for real legit merits not because of some frail ego.

around here at times its like watching that guy at work who is always having is mouth attached to the rear of the boss. its annoying and not to mention silly.

in this regard when there are patch notes THAN praise. Slightly improved maintenance with no development is easy. Those of us who know how this all works can see this. When that day happens you have every right to jump up and down and sing the praises. Till then mind your p's and q's and perhaps your patience will be rewarded.

After all EII is hardly a child that needs constant praise. Their egos not so fragile that it needs to be falsely propped up. They are a corporate entity full of adults. They are in this to make $$$ they know what they have to do.
    Hmmm, I thought all those people left the game (but stayed on the forums causing trouble) when Tulga left...

I still play because it is still fun. Not much has changed in the way I play the game, except that most of the whining about nerfs is gone and since we aren't getting any new code we aren't having to deal with any new bugs that take forever to fix, just the old ones that we already know how to avoid.

uhhh-
    it seems I´m a little late^^everything is already said.

Maybe one point is missing:
    Though I´m more the"rose colored classes"-type,
    I do not talk about the 4 letter word love
    ( I love the game, the community the friends and mates, my dragon...)
    I´ll give Kwinn a pragmatic answer:

So far, Flame and me did not find anything better!!!

btw: The question was: Why are YOU still playing.
    Some answers left me astonished-is the answer masochism??

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    *does a happy dance*
    Film at 11 I hope?

Are we there yet? Yup, and up we post!
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

The original poster, Kwinn, stated his reason then asked why you are still playing. It is not a trick question, and have nothing to do with Kwinn's pet peeve: the holy sheet.

If you are playing then you qualify to answer. If you're not playing then no. The logic is simple.

How did it go from that to questioning the integrity of Horizon's future, confusion, depression, constipation, and etc? I think there are quite a few threads for that already. Go there.

i play because it's fun to spend time with good folks in istaria :-)

recent quote i read in dilbert -
    they say the glass is half full, but they don't say of what

for me, it's more than half full, and contains klava of course! ;-)

Yay for klava!!! (and chocolate)

Sylvye
    Gawd I loved this place!!
    http://nitebird.com/sylvyesplace.html

Default On a side note

Sorry for the interuption here, but, the thread called maint, contained more of what was being said in here, therefore, the thread was merged. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    Sorry for the interuption here, but, the thread called maint, contained more of what was being said in here, therefore, the thread was merged. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Thanks for the information... it is appreciated Peaches.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinn
    I can't help but wonder if the level of bitterness displayed by some is not directly proportional to the loss of status they had with TG.
    I completely forgot about something else that has been a concern for some.

I can't help but wonder if the level of blind support for EI portrayed by some is not directly proportional to the rise of status bestowed upon them since EI took over.

You know what I mean, all those people who were told to phone Danu directly, half of them were promised that they would become game masters for Horizons - I know it's true - I was one of the people he made such an offer to. Then there's also the private spawns, several names spring to mind of people who have been given special treatment. I'm going to stop before I go any further. People know what's going on, it doesn't take me to spell it out in black and white. Though now I have.

My account is still active because the site won't let me cancel it without giving them a new credit card.

I support EI, because it's the last chance for HZ that remains...

TG is dead... swallow it. It's just a hard fact... They won't come back or whatever... if you liked them, maybe leave, or cry for them and when you feel better and care for the game not the company, come back...

EI has had a hard start... And I am quite sure that they will have some hard work in front of them if they really want to produce patches.
    It's not too bad that they kicked out the old people though, because if a developer makes himself a critical person, then the best thing you do is to kick him out, the earlier the better... it's just that simple.
    There is not much documentation, I am told (from old TG-fanboys).. and EI is trying to document the code, I am told (Nagafen said something like that)... for me that two "facts" fit perfectly together and maybe thinks will be moving again, someday...

Till that day the only thing you can do is to enjoy the game... if you don't enjoy it (or at least parts of it) in it's current state, you better leave.. I know some of you need a "bright future" to enjoy the game... but it will take a long time.
    I won't expect any patche till the end of this year... very likely not till the next summer. I don't have any information I base these assumptions on.. I'm just a software developer and had to handle some smaller projects with bad documentation... I can only guess how much work it is two handle a project of the size of HZ without proper documentation... You can believe me, it's not something you do in three or four months... it's just that simple: you can't.

I can understand the people who had account problems, and that they are angry or whatever... I can understand that many of you are nervous and want to see progress. But it will take time....
    But I can't see what EI should have done so horribly wrong that it deserves all that bashing... things are very emotional here. I would say:

Stop the emotions, do whatever you need to do for that, maybe mourn for you friends at TG or bash a punshing-ball... and then enjoy the game and hope that it will move on.

Hope some people will get my point. *prepares for the bashing*
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Amen Garfonso, well said.

Sylvye
    Gawd I loved this place!!
    http://nitebird.com/sylvyesplace.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso
    But I can't see what EI should have done so horribly wrong that it deserves all that bashing...
    I don't normally get involved bash and counter bash discussions like this. But there is one thing that I point my finger directly at EI for; be it arrogance or being unprepared for what they were getting into or whatever the reason. They had an invaluable resource that they could have secured with the former Tulga devs. Like em or hate em, remember that a good many of them inherited the "ball of spaghetti" code from people who are long gone from the early days of AE. I've heard the same complaints about crappy code and poor documentation from them as they struggled with it. But they were familiar with it and managed to keep it limping along fairly well and even were getting small parts of it untangled as time passed. They sure as hell were not perfect, but EI tossed aside that knowledge and experience with the system and stumbled off into one problem after another as a result when they tried to go it alone.

Horizons used to be developed by people who thought they were part of the community. Now, it belongs to people who consider it a property and remain aloof. TG devs stayed up late struggling to get the next bit of content done. EI devs punch the clock and head home seemingly without much thought for the game until they come in next morning to wrestle with it some more. Fundamentally, there is really nothing wrong with either approach. But many of us, myself included, have had a very hard time coming to grips with the black and white differences between the two when it was thrust upon us without warning. I liked the way things were. I enjoyed being able to give direct feedback and possibly seeing it incorporated into the live game a few weeks later. And I miss it still. But things change.

There has been a lot of poor judgement going on since the deal for the sale was made. We of the community share in a good portion of it for how things have turned out. We reacted poorly and fragmented into two entrenched sides who angrily defend their positions. Bash and counter bash. Over and over. We each have our own valid reasons, but how it was expressed by both sides is an uglyness that spreads out and taints every facet of this game and community that was good.

Part of the original intent of this merged thread was to ask why we still play the game. Its not for the community, not anymore with the state that it has fallen to. Its not for EI, battered and bruised, they have done little to instill true confidence in the future though I hope they will. Not for game play, it became quite stagnant for me quite a while before EI came onto the the scene.

It is simply for that small group of people that I call friends. And that will have to be enough for now.

In front of the computer, where else would I be?

I am still here cause I have yet to pelt every one with fish yet!

*Lobs [Fresh Trout] all about the room.*

That and I am still looking for the right chair.........

*Lands with a PLOP on Kwinn*

SMISH!!

((Just having too mutch fun to leave ))
    Tamaracaran Thothalomadais: Dragon, As old as the world, Twice.
    Jamana Ternfaust: Gnome of 31 flavors!
    Erzat Ember: Dryad Battlemage, Construction Bug.
    Halfust Thothalomadais: Human somthing or other.

I agree with Garfonso, although I still find the lack of interest in such as Tango, Amon, and Smeglor incomprehensible.

Offshore devs, different payscales?
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Fish? Where is the fish?? Give me the fish... mjaaam..

It's good that you agree to stop the bashing..
    It's not that I didn't appreciate the old situation... but it's just over now. We can't change it and have to stick to Nagafen...

Maybe I'll leave you some of the fish.. but I won't count on it... *g*
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Ok i know im VERY late but i almost never go to the boards for, well reasons. Most of the time its inspiration to accidently open a HUGE can of worms... but anyways

Why am i still playing?

There are a number of reasons, the main ones being that I have personal and sentimental values to this game, of course i find a few in each and every one i play, they all have their history, but some... (sorry going to bash a bit) such as UO I had way to many bad experiences, it wasn't just the companies who i know don't much care for anyting, It was from the general public. Back in focus here yes it has sentimental value to me as you can see if you looked in my vault, i've had lots of good (and bad) times here, and I still have good times here even if they aren't as common. Shure not much new things come in but in my case I usually miss out on it anyways... Im not one of those, Oh! Lookie here! A new item! MUST HAVE *covet, covet, pounce* you know the ones that go and get every single thing possible with the game and new content done in a matter of minutes.

I also really like the community, although I don't speak to a wide majority of the players that are on at any given time when i do go out and put in an opinion or request im not denied, criticized (sp.) deconstructively, rediculed, taunted and ignored, Many go out of their way to help and I try and do that as much as possible (even though i've been told many times that im to kind and will never get anywhere) Its fine with me though because in all honesty I don't have much desire to progress myself. Shure I would like to get stronger and everything but its just not there. I might a lazy unmotivated peice of rotting meat to some but atleast im content, and happy to do things for others.

And one more thing, probably the most important is being able to speak to all my (Imaginary, as my dad would say) friends that i have meet in my time here. Even if they aren't there for a long time I want to be there to greet them with a smile when they come back, which has happened a few times... Hehe "-So and so has logged in-" "/tell -so and so- Oh my god... Is this real, Is it an illusion?!" "No im real" In many cases old friends come back even for just a short while but I really enjoy it.

So that is why I am still here, not much because of the content, Yes i love being a dragon and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't be here. Yes there are many inbalances and such but nothing is perfect or even near it...

Hope i didn't put to sleep anyone with my rambling. *looks all around*

*edit* (... wow this is a bit longer than expected ó,ó)
    Last edited by Gegis; November 12th, 2006 at 05:25 AM. Reason: (comment)

Gegis, Dranslin, Anvault, Kanmiel (Order)

G~lizzy, your dragon is too darn nice for his own good.. Seriously, its people like you that keep me coming back

/hoarde Gegis...and his evil wand! muahahaha
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Garf, I got the point
    and I totally agree
    and I can wait
    and I SHALL wait

Default To play, or not to play, that is the question.

I play because I like the races, classes, people, ect. I previously played 2 other games, Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. Course, when I grew tired of those games, I simply moved on. Don't know why people who can't stand this game still complain about it. Move on. There are plenty of games out there. Free market and all that stuff.
    Or better yet, pick up a book, pay attention to your kids, if you don't have a kid, make one. Then you'll have someone to play catch with. Sure beats hanging around here where you feel miserable, banging you head against that cyber tree, howling at that cyber moon, wishing for the Wish Giver to make things like it once was. Or something that will never come to pass.
    Point is, get out and have fun in your own way, like those who still have fun playing this game do.
    I regret I have but one life to waste for Istaria!

Thread Information