Thread: Chests bulk limit

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Default Chests bulk limit

Im sure this topic has been brought up before and im sure it probably got stomped on but im gonna say my piece anyway just because im annoying like that.

I think its kind of silly that a Character such as a Dryad (I play) can carry more than that can be stored in a Chest for storage, in general within this game excluding the current super vaults i think alot of the storage facilities could do with being raised (bulk capacity wise)

Would be nice to hear what others think, im always open to critisism, takes alot to offend me, but i may cry be warned!

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

zerbot

Default Re: Chests bulk limit

Study the lore. Do the quest Test of the Gifted to get some insight. Being Gifted means more than just not dying permanently. As far as the Empire has been able to discern, there is no known limit on how much a Gifted can lift or carry, they are limited only in the strength of the containers they use to manage their loads.

The same applies for the cargo disks and cargo armor. They're magical and use something similar to the Dragon's dimensional pocket to fit a large quantity of material in a small space. The vaults built by the empire and ordinary housing and storage facilities are not magical, and have to store what they hold in ordinary space. Might it be possible in the future to have that as part of housing storage? Maybe, but it hasn't been developed yet. Rumor has it the gnomes are refusing to even work on it until Old Rachival is freed.

Very good points made.

my response to that, as lame as it may be would be this:

If we can craft such things as "magical" cotton pouches that can hold more than you would expect a pouch to be able to hold, why is it that when we, the same creators of the pouch create storage chests without these "magical" abilities, creating something as such for the intended purpose to store things seems rather silly to not give it those abilities, ofcourse then there is the dilema that maybe those magical properties can only be given to certain item types, though at this point id be better off leaving a cargo disk sit in my tent instead of the chest = )

Ofcourse we have to work in the boundries we are set, maybe i should have posted something along these lines in the suggestions forum instead of general.

Still interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Onkyo

yeah, most of us agree with you - storage sucks in this game.

and the lame RP excuse about cargo disks being magical to store more? come on, if a tink can craft a magical disk, then why can't a fitter craft a magical house? LOL has nothing to do with the race of the character as you eluded to in the RP excuse.

It's aggravating that the largest house in the game, a T6 holds 9000 bulk, but my cargo disk holds 12000. Even under your RP rules about weight, what about SIZE? Do you have any idea what a pile of 1500 bricks would look like? Regardless of weight, the size of those would fit much easier in a house than trying to balance on a magical flying disk.

Oh, and a few people say, 'vaults are not meant for bulk storage - use silos'. Hmm, let me reiterate this:

if I have 1500 bricks with me that fit on a cargo disk, and want to store them: Double-port from Aughendell to Bristugo to Tavu. Run to plot, store, and recall. I'd have to do that FOUR TIMES since we can't port with a disk. That's EIGHT ports and FOUR RECALLS. Since client performance sucks, we'd have to relog after that just so we could function in the game again. Do you honestly feel that is acceptable style of play?

I much prefer to quarry and dump in a vault (one exists on a player plot within reasonable distance from the marble). Once I'm tired of that, I'll go to a player town with both a vault & stonecutter to cut it into bricks. Once that is done, I'll either craft into tools for PB, or craft into blocks/keys for construction. I could care less about 'long-term storage' - I'm more interested in a temporary place to dump materials as I work on them. The vault works perfectly for that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zerbot
    Study the lore. Do the quest Test of the Gifted to get some insight. Being Gifted means more than just not dying permanently. As far as the Empire has been able to discern, there is no known limit on how much a Gifted can lift or carry, they are limited only in the strength of the containers they use to manage their loads.
    I'm not disagreeing with you -but if there is no limit to how much I can carry, then how come I get "overburdened" when I carry more than my max capacity?

I would expect to simply "drop stuff" vs being slowed down by carrying too much.
    Dalthbar Bruisebringer
    Order [Spirit] Shard
    Mystic Blades

81 Fitter
    65 Spearman
    (plus a lot more)

With essence backpack, and cargo, you can max outcarrying capacity pretty well..

I "think" that backpacks, tiered sacks/pouches, andbetter Cargo Armor,are meant to reward crafters/players for their work with a higher carrying capacity, this also helps average out the xp that's needed to level @ higher levels, and it also makes perfectly goodsense to me.

I do agree that the new storage in game SHOULD be just that, and in it's current form is less than what is really needed for players to advance their goals.But I do think that chests/houses aside that it's balanced pretty well.

This is just my humble opinion of course, but when the game first started, players were in awe of a crafter that had reached 62+, because it took alot of dedication, and self discipline.

Now it's a total joke to level a class with vaults the way they are, and many have taken advantage of it; added to it cargo disks, chests, silos, ect. Building is also MUCH easier, if there's vault access close by you only need worry about travel time, I only know this from building since the auctions started, and building since the game started.

I'd rather the devs make a few adjustments to chests, housing storage, maybe even the sacks/pouches, and take thevault size back to where it was. I could care lessabout flames, and I appreciate different views, but I really don't see enlarging vaults, ect, as a solution. Everything get's built FAST, everything gets finished FAST, then there's nothing much left to strive for.....

I know the answer to why chest don't hold more. IT'S MASTER FINEWOOD! That guy has been standing at the woodshop, now a dirt spot, north of Sslanis for over a year now. He says he knows how to do all knids of fancy woodworking, but he refuses to show anybody else how. He knows how to make the chests we need! Drag him off to the eastern blight until he tells the rest of us what he knows! That'll fix him.

Quote Originally Posted by Enos Yorl

I'd rather the devs make a few adjustments to chests, housing storage, maybe even the sacks/pouches, and take thevault size back to where it was. I could care lessabout flames, and I appreciate different views, but I really don't see enlarging vaults, ect, as a solution. Everything get's built FAST, everything gets finished FAST, then there's nothing much left to strive for.....

For me, vault storage isn't about beign able to carry resources or construction material - it's about all my armors (cargo and otherwise), about all the tech comps, about regal weapon parts that are still a mystery as to what, if anything, is being done with despite many inquiries to devs and WMs. It's about all the one-off items that have been gathered throughout many events that have no great use now, but are very sentimental and I wish to keep.

I have a Shareholders V vault pre-merge and it was full to capacity. I luckily have a large dwarven house now that will hopefully have some storage ability soon, but this is just a means of postponing the inevitable: storage fills up.

So unless our storage options scale (and I'm talking about real many-stack storage - not storage of resources - e.g., silos), then we'll all be in this boat in the near future again.
    Dalthbar Bruisebringer
    Order [Spirit] Shard
    Mystic Blades

81 Fitter
    65 Spearman
    (plus a lot more)

Belog

yeah! his adventure lvl is 1 isn't it? just knock him around for awhile. he'll talk.

Alphamale

I agree that vaults were not intended to store vast amounts of building resources. Since the merge I have had great success storing large amounts of resources and have increased the rate at which I level in crafting, which is nice.

That being said, I enjoy building and if the current vaults remain with the huge capacity they now have, structures like silos will be obsolete.

So I would like to see a compromise. The vaults could return to their pre-merge capacity (or with a slight increase - my preference), but have the silos be somewhat easier to build, take less space on plots, or increase the silo capacity to allow basic silos to carry 10,000 bulk rather than 7500, and scale accordingly from there.

Just my 2cents.

I think its kind of silly that a Character such as a Dryad (I play) can carry more than that can be stored in a Chest for storage,
    I don't know the storage capacity of that chest you're referring to BUT if all you really want is toimprove realism theninstead ofincreasing vault size, the solution is to reduce what we can carry. By a LOT. Come on. There is no way I should be able to carry 400 bricks yet I can and do routinely. Even 100 is too much without some sort of mechanical assistance (wheelbarrow in RL for example, cargo disk in game).

Vaults can be as big or as little as they choose. They are arbitrary. Maybe your vault is just a little suitcase sized thing.

What I would like to know is why a Gnome or Dryart, half my level and 1/10 my size & strength can carry 2x the amount of bulk that a dragon can. Bipeds get cargo gear, larger backpacks, and sometimes disks (Like the tarbashes Mining). I am a level 80 dragon with all dimensional poket quests up to date & the largest pack availble to Dragons & my Capicity is only 3900. I would like to see teched scales with cargo as well or something to help make up for the less carrying capacity. It just baffles me as to how a biped with 1/2 the strength & 1/10 the size I am can carry 2x more, I think we should all have the opportunity to be at least somewhat equal.

Maybe it has something to do with fine motor skills who knows = D

Though Dragons can also get disks just as Bi-peds can and the ability to be able to fly loads between a machine and field can also (dependant on the area) speed up the whole gathering proccess.

Lycarious, what biped of any level can carry twice your bulk capacity of 3900? Yes, at the upper level we can pass 4000, but someone must have forgot to tell this dwarf the secret to carrying 7800 bulk.
    Ikfel the Crafty Dwarf
    Level 100 Blacksmith, Mason, Miner, Scholar, and Outfitter

Quote Originally Posted by Onkyo
    yeah, most of us agree with you - storage sucks in this game.
    you should go and give eq/eq2 a try. You'll come back running and crying, seeing how storage can really suck. And unless you are a crafter in high demand, you've got no need for tons of resources. For a few sets of armor and weapons, a vault and a house are more than sufficient.
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

Thread Information