Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Knock Searches

so do we Snickel...a burglary without a weapon is just that, a burglary. A burglary with a weapon is called armed robbery..which is a very stiff punishment indeed. But, tell that to a meth head...or an accomplished thief. It IS a bitter cycle...however, banning guns will not solve the problem, at least not here.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Well its different depending on where you live. I respect that. As far as me, well I just bought a Smith 500.

I'm mostly posting again, because I want to see Jayne's new post, but again, the original topic is not, "Is gun ownership good or bad?" It's, "Should the police be able to break down your door without announcing themselves?" That is a topic that can be more redially discussed without cultural differences. Gun control is a hot enough topic here in the US without bringing in thoughts from round the world. (Not that it wouldn't make a bad discussion, in a different thread)
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Honestly, I think they should pass laws allowing homeowners to shoot people who break into their homes, for ANY reason, unless its cops who ANNOUNCE ahead of time they are going in.

If someone does damage to your home to gain unlawful entry, you should be allowed to shoot to kill to defend yourself. It would Certainly remove a lot more burglars from our streets, that's for sure.

I cannot believe some of the laws that we have in the USA. There have been homeowners who got LAWSUITS against them from BURGLARS who hurt themselves while trying to break into a house, and they sued the homeowner for it..... AND GOT AWAY WITH IT!

Governments suck. Period. Especially the court judges in the USA. Don't even get me on lawsuits, just don't.... Lawsuits are the bane of the USA.

--Dhalin

Hmm intersting points from the Europeans on guns. Let me tell you about my cousin in France. He wishes he had a gun right now see most have either forgotten or do not know the happenings in France. He was forcible removed from his car and watched as some youths set it aflame. At least 50 cars a night are set on fire. He was a victim of not having a gun when six youths attacked him. Thank God they chose not to set him on fire that night and since has drastically changed his view on guns due to becoming a victim. Along with the cars 10+ police get to go to the hospital on a daily basis. You could argue that if guns were easier to attain the bad guys would have them.. lol well one did so that point is moot.
    The point being he now fears for his families safety and see things becoming worse and feels inadequate to protect his family and belongings. After all he was carjacked and people were in the area watching this ordeal play out. Did any help? heck no they walked away at a fast pace ignoring the assault.
    What you do not hear or read is the hundreds if not thousands of other stories when granny fought off or killed her attacker. Yes guns save lives believe it or not but that is the true facts. There have been studies on the subject I will not bore you with them but they are easy to find. When a bad guy knows behind every door there is a gun guess what happens? He does not break in he fears for his safety and knows every neighbor has one also. Yes people do get shot on accident it is a tragedy but people get ran over by cars too take the elderly gentleman who sent 10 people to an early grave because he could not hit the brakes and went slamming into a farmers market. When the guy gets out of the car he actually said they should have gotten out of the way. Face it bad things happen it does not mean we should ban all ownership of cars does it?
    Guns the are called an equalizer for a reason, I could not stop a 6' 8" 400 lbs man from hurting me if he chose to, if I had a gun now we are even and he must truly consider that he will not walk away from the encounter. I live in the real world and there are bad people who actually get off on hurting people I know this because I too have been a victim of violence and no I did not own a gun. Do I have one now? Lets say it will be much harder to invade my home again and not be hurt. I have paid my dues and believed this false sense of security and was hurt but thats in the past. Wake up its the perp who's bad not the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aria
    so do we Snickel...a burglary without a weapon is just that, a burglary. A burglary with a weapon is called armed robbery..which is a very stiff punishment indeed. But, tell that to a meth head...or an accomplished thief. It IS a bitter cycle...however, banning guns will not solve the problem, at least not here.
    Empirical studies show that accomplished thieves (professional burglars) never take a gun with them. At least not over here. Maybe its a matter of culture again.

And of course there are many different ways to handle the drug problem -- the goal is to wean drug addicts away from the drug and in the meantime make sure that they do not have to resort to violence to get their hands on methadon. Where all the criminal systems are in agreement is to prosecute dealers and the organizations behind them.

As for 'no knock searches' -- we also had several incidents where policepeople broke into the wrong houses (or into an appartment on the wrong floor) and the innocent inhabitants were hurt. But fortunately they had no guns to wave around so the police did see no reason to shoot them in putative self-defense.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Curious...how where the inhabitants hurt if noone was shot? O.o

As far as drug use, and the attitudes in regards to drug addiction vs trafficking, is a very large cultural difference. Europe seems to promote education as well as giving viable opportunities to treat addiction, while pursuing the organizations who distribute and profit from drug sales. In America we have a little slogan called 'Just Say No' ~ whatta joke. And we also have a thing called a 'Drug War' ~ another joke. There is little real education in schools and rehab opportunites are truly only available to the lucky few or the wealthy....and anyone who has ever met or known a drug addict can clearly see that it is a rare thing for them to have a savings account, much less be able to afford a decent inpatient program. Instead, addicts are not rehabilitated, sent to prison (where they can still easily score drugs and continue to support their habit) and then rereleased into society oftentimes capable of violence that mayhap have not been present before.

When I spoke of accomplished thieves, I meant like the guy who has been robbing people around my neighborhood now going on two months. He is armed, we all know it, we got notices on our door. I didn't mean some big art thief operating in Mission Impossible mode like the movies lol.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Curious...how where the inhabitants hurt if noone was shot? O.o
    Three policemen threw themselves on an elderly gentleman I think and hurt him in the process. Its not necessary to fire shots to hurt people.

When I spoke of accomplished thieves, I meant like the guy who has been robbing people around my neighborhood now going on two months. He is armed, we all know it, we got notices on our door. I didn't mean some big art thief operating in Mission Impossible mode like the movies lol.
    Well a rampant robber is certainly not my idea of an accomplished thief. I meant burglars who have a knack in spotting vulnerable property and have their methods perfected to get inside the house and out again with a minimum of fuzz. And I'm pretty certain it would be too much to hope for that any one of them looked remotely like Tom Cruise. As for your robber I sure do hope that he is apprehended quickly and I would certainly feel as insecure as you do in that situation.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Thread Information