Thread: Got new comp, can't log in

Default Got new comp, can't log in

Got an alienware with enough specs to run HZ surely but, after DL and installation, tried to run it and this came up:

"Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate application."

Any ideas?

one possibility: horizons.exe got corrupted...
    solution: delete horizons.exe and let the patcher download it again...

I hope you don't have an Creative Soundblaster X-Fi in your system...
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

I got an top of the line Alienware system a while back. Never could get it to run HZ. So back to Alienware it went. Was sad because I thought it was awesome. But if I can't even play my favorite game then whats the point?

Jayne

I got Creative Soundblaster X-Fi

This means I'm screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    I got Creative Soundblaster X-Fi

This means I'm screwed?
    Read that thread:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14150

(Or other ones.. or so.. there should be some more).

My solution is: turn of sound, disable loading screens, calculate a long time for logging into the game, run the game on lower cpu priority.

Most times it works and takes just under a minute to login... sometimes it will take more than 5 minutes, sometimes it just won't work at all, giving you error messages, after a loooooong time the game just hung there...

I don't know if my comp has other issues, I couldn't find any, it returned after reinstalling my windows.. it's not the internet connection, it works on my laptop... *shrugs*

The first X-Fi drivers are said to work ok with HZ, I never tried them... maybe I should, someday.

Other people have created a new hardware profile with the soundcard turned off, so they have to reboot to play HZ...

I have an Alienware computer at work that I can play Horizons on, but when I first got it, the video driver had problems with DirectX and would crash like that. I updated the driver and it solved it. I can't remember what soundchip it has though, so it may or may not help in your situation.

Thanks all for the replies. Now, what if I switch to another soundcard, would that solve the problem?

Any good suggestions?
    Last edited by Phillip; December 24th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Is there an on-board one? You could try that one...

Soundcard is not that important... X-Fi is a bit special, because of it's ram and own processor and such stuff, but that is used in only very few games, today... EAX in hardware is a nice feature... but honestly, I never realy noticed much difference...

I like to stick with my X-Fi, because it has a nice bunch of connectors, of which I use quite a lot...

But yeah all of the latest Creative sound drivers have "issues" and not just in this game. I just tried their latest one for the Audigy 2, couldn't log in. So I reverted back to the old driver (circa 2003) and its a happy camper again.
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

Can always do like I did.. I have a audigy2 card in one PC that I played HZ on. Couldn't log in, and when I did, it was such crappy performance that it wasnt even funny. I went to walmart and picked up a 25 dollar non SB soundcard, installed it, disabled SB sound equipment and enabled the new card. Works flawlessly... SB and HZ at least in their current progress in development, don't like each other. Don't know why.. I've never worked on the HZ client software.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

There was a statement from a TG dev, somewhere (didn't find it anymore...), that it is a bug in the SB driver and they have to handle it and that TG couldn't do anything about it...

i know blight received an updated miles engine that was wrote on 06/01/2006,
    did that make it to live it helped with some sound issues ?
    Secretly wonders what happens if i select copy to blight LOL
    Last edited by MarshDog; December 30th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

The new miles engine made it live, but was still a bit quirky with some things. Mostly working, it has nothing to do with Creative's extremely long history of incompatible drivers.
    Creative has consistantly created drivers which simply break the rules when it comes to hardware. It will interfer and not allow the proper operation of other hardware. There are better and cheaper cards to buy than Creative as well.

I had an Audigy I card, was quite expensive at the time. Most of my games had problems with it. Civ 3, World of Warcraft, HZ, Half-Life, Dark Age of Camelot and many more all had problems.

People tried to say on these forums that the Soundblaster drivers were A-ok, just that the HZ developers were somehow incapable of fixing their game...
    Well that isn't true, you look up the technical support forum for WoW, and they say "uninstall your SB card if you have problems with our game" in other words. It's the stupid SB drivers. I'll not buy one of their cards again.

When we had an Alienware, we also had lots of trouble with horizons -- it turned out it was a problem with the graphics card and I had to search for some obscure driver to make the game run more or less smoothly...

So don't give up hope, its definitely possible to run that game on an Alienware.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Fridlekh

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    Got an alienware with enough specs to run HZ surely but, after DL and installation, tried to run it and this came up:

"Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate application."

Any ideas?
    Sounds like a Data Execution Prevention (DEP) problem to me. Follow the instructions in this picture

... ok, so there aren't really instructions there, but you should be able to figure it out anyway.

Thread Information