Thread: Hijacking

Default Hijacking

Lets name the large elephant in the room shall we?

Seems in every thread regardless of the topic (or sometimes it is the topic) eventually someone's frustrations with, or defense of, the ownership is introduced.

What is to be done?

Lock/delete all posts?

Ownership communicate with the community?

Reestablishment of a rants subforum?

Continue to bicker in virtually every thread posted?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Aria
    Lets name the large elephant in the room shall we?
    That one over there!

My thoughts? People will post what they feel and nothing is going to stop it other than not being allowed to post.

Board moderation is no different than it ever has been, under whatever ownership. If you use inappropriate language or a personal attack, expect editing or deletion.

Threads almost always go off topic, I think that is a rule, mostly because very few people are disciplined posters and there is some element of stream of consciousness in most people.

As far as the finger pointing? HZ has a long history of it.

Welcome to the land of disgruntled postal workers who have to listen to Snickel tell us how great gnome crafters are!!!

I think what you are referring to is when someone sugar coats things in a thread trying to make us all sing "Kumbyaaa" is just too much for some posters to stomach and end "upchucking" in the form of negative responses.

(I am guilty of that too from time to time)

So let's all join in and sing "Kumbayaaaaa" as we push the car that's out of gas to the next station that might put some gas in it.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Default Hi! Jack! [Jack gets taken away by security guards...]

What is to be done?

Ownership communicate with the community?

Reestablishment of a rants subforum?
    Those two will help a lot. Really. Having some official word gives this forum some purpose (this is the 'official' forum, right?). Having a rant section gives people a place to stick their rants in (as opposed to general).

There needs to be an outlet for frustration, and it needs to be in a place where people feel like they can be heard by others who are in the same situation. The right move is to provide a space where it can be contained and managed. Closing threads, removing posts and banning people just increases the level of frustration and leads to what you are seeing now -- "negativity" in any post it can be worked into and even in game. Hiding the problem in one place doesn't make it go away -- it comes out anytime and anywhere it can, to the point that it feels like it has permeated into the very fabric of your life.

The side effect of a rants forum is that if you don't want to see "negativity", don't go there! I can't think of a better indication that says "the contents of this thread may upset you -- view at your own risk" than being in the rants section.

On a side note, if there is so much complaning and criticism, maybe there is something wrong. Maybe the right thing to do is to acknowledge it and use whatever resources are personally available to correct it. Maybe trying to cover it up and say "Everything is good here! It's happy-bouncy-fun time!" is the wrong thing to do.

Continue to bicker in virtually every thread posted?
    This is inevitable. People will have a difference of opinion. People will have different views, different experiences and different agendas. The only thing in common is that each person will belive that their issues are the most important. An ideal situation would have everyone expressing acknowledgement, tolerance and genuine concern for all competing sides. That would not eliminate disagreement and bickering, but it would take the edge off it.

Conflict is a necessary part of development -- it promotes the exchange of ideas and viewpoints which helps to make informed decisions. Nothing changes if everyone seems to agree that there is no problem. You may choose to avoid conflict and not participate, however do not try to stop it, for you are trying to stop progress.

Hey!?! No use of common sense is allowed here. This is the horizons board for pete's sake. If this continues I will be forced to read another games forum for entertainment.

Please SteelClaw take it all back before this disease catches on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw
    This is inevitable. People will have a difference of opinion. People will have different views, different experiences and different agendas. The only thing in common is that each person will belive that their issues are the most important. An ideal situation would have everyone expressing acknowledgement, tolerance and genuine concern for all competing sides. That would not eliminate disagreement and bickering, but it would take the edge off it.

Conflict is a necessary part of development -- it promotes the exchange of ideas and viewpoints which helps to make informed decisions. Nothing changes if everyone seems to agree that there is no problem. You may choose to avoid conflict and not participate, however do not try to stop it, for you are trying to stop progress.
    Really delighted to see that some keep the overview atleast ...

*Claps hands* Well written, Steely!

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    Welcome to the land of disgruntled postal workers who have to listen to Snickel tell us how great gnome crafters are!!!(...)
    Indeed we are great crafters!!!
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Default Hijacking

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw
    Of course, conflict exists, but its how that conflict is addressed. Saying that a company stinks, is not a good way to handle this conflict. Stating a fact, without bashing, insulting, will go a long ways in addressing the issues at hand. Given that, there also is no sense in beating a dead horse, more. Its a fine line here. I don't expect the posts to be all *sugar coated*, I expect conflict, as long as it adheres to the board rules.

The horse is not dead until the game shuts down. It still runs, so the whipping continues.

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

But thats just it the Facts can not be stated as they would be against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMan
    The horse is not dead until the game shuts down. It still runs, so the whipping continues.

I, as well as many others, are glad it is still running, that means there is hope. But, as I have said many many times, I tend to take just one day at a time.

The whipping? It shouldn't continue. It gets nothing accomplished. Even after all is said and done, the whipping would still continue, on other boards as well.

We all have our choices here. Some stay, some leave, some hibernate.

Those that stay, thats awesome, those that leave, its sad indeed. The revolving door has always worked with online games. New folks come in, and of late, the veterans are still returning to our world.

Fact is even if the ownership were different or still the same, etc. There would always be something for someone to complain about.

Some like Nadia's prices now, some don't

Some like grind some don't

Some like to sugar coat some don't

yata yata yata, it will never end.

So I don't worry about it

Just so it is know my problem is not what they have or have not done to the game. It is what they have and have not done to the players.

I understand that learning the game takes time and I would be willing to give them that. I feel that a lot of those that bash on the out side are not bashing them for that, it bashing them for what they have done to the players of the game.

Thread Information