Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New server?

Default Re: New server?

So unless someone wants to sink $ 5 million plus into horizons it is never ever coming back.

Yes $5 million plus

Not a couple hundred K not even $ 2 million

or...

some love and care.

How comes that a MMO is going on since years

http://www.prairiegames.com/

and is made and maintained by two (2) persons?

Keeping Hz going would not really require much more.

To keep up with the "speed" Tulga had you need 3-4 people working on it, I never understood where they found the slow monkeys they had.

Months to fix 20 database rows, months designing 10 new 3D objects and textures. Months to add to a pre-existing database some confectioner new "rows".

Looks like they "hired" some skilled programmer to do some "big stuff" like the whole lair crafting but on part time schedule.

And yes, I have been C++ programmer and DBA for 15 years and I have an idea on how long it takes to do stuff.

So do you know anyone who just won the powerball and wants to burn $10 million totally redoing the current horizons ? Heck you win a lot there spend another $10 million and make a new game totally. Call it Horizons II done right
    No one sane of mind will "revamp" Horizons.

The only feasible action is to "create" something with players housing, playable dragons etc. etc. and call it "Empire of Beozia" or something and sell it as new product even if it shares 99% of the code with Horizons.

Horizons - the name - is not reusable any more, it lost every credibility and the IGN idiots-a-like would flame away at once since it's "still Horizons".

BTW $10 million nowadays is what you waste in the starting merchandise.

Make it $50-80 and we start talking of a modern MMO with a target of > 100k players being developed.

I'm not thrilled about an emulater of a game not in the public domain and would not take part (and if you're serious about an emulater you're crazy to be discussing it here). However, if EI ever gets ready to pull the plug things would change. If that ever happens I think we should all beg and plead that they put the source and artwork in the public domain.
    Imagine Netscape.

They discovered MS Explorer given out for free AND installed by default on every computer would kill it.

So they made it open source, removed the licensed and not open source libraires.

After quite some time, it reborn as working and nice browser that you are suggested to use not to compromise your computer so easily.

I wish Hz would be finally considered "dead" and its details made public so who cares for its legacy can put together a team and raise a new Horizons from the ashes of the old.

Whatever you consider Horizons bad, I have yet to see one game that lights me up like it.

I am in a top guild in WoW, I have every best of everything in the game.

I'd quit WoW today to play Unity again, and would not look back.

Why play WoW when a game 10 years ahead and with much better community is available?

I think someone with intimate knowledge of the 'hardware' of Horizons and what its needs are + who understand what it would take to set it up the way suggested should respond.

None us here really know what this game requires, with perhaps the exception of Hal'cyon.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Default Re: Time to let go i think

Quote Originally Posted by HAG
    Hello Folks, long time no see.

I found a new home in Telon (Land of Vanguard: SoH) and due to the fact that many ex-Istarians are there, it feels really comfortable. We have our own channel (Istariaexiles), some of the old guilds just formed there anew and the community between the Ex-Horizon-Players is still existant.
    what server are you exile types playing on ? I'd think Florendyl but then again maybe not.
    ================================
    The Flying Gekko formerly known as "Nemesis_Expanse" and then "Lizardbreath". Flying strong once more in the skies of Order..

My only hope is to see the all thing turned open source under a GNU licence or something...
    If it will happen ? As I said, I hope so

My only hope is to see the all thing turned open source under a GNU licence or something...
    If it will happen ? As I said, I hope so
    In the mean time I made Horizons run in stand alone mode as they explain in the tech forum.

But I get to see a brown-ish "default" dragon.

Anyone knows how to make other textures show onto it? At least the "steps", I can go and browse the files myself if I am given a "tip".

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM
    I totally agree with Justa.
    And C`gan.

I do not agree with AAO:
    The playerbase is not destroyed. They/we keep in touch, playing "new" "better" games- and fantasize about HZ.
    Lot`s of us will return! I`m sure!

*sigh* referring to what Solitaire said about SONY and HZ:
    Is there a real chance that we can direct SONY`s attention to us?
    Many, many features of HZ are unique (no only the dragon thing),
    worth kept alive in the scene of mmorpg`s.
    And profitable if handled proessional.

It might not be too late- HEY OUTTHERE- DOES SOMEBODY LISTEN?
    Alright Im VERY late on looking back on these posts but I don't think sony will contemplate HZ agian unless it gets a turnaround financially (Dad works at sony and i already know that right now there is no way in heck they are touching Hz.)

Gegis, Dranslin, Anvault, Kanmiel (Order)

Thread Information