Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible solution to Vista vs Horizons problems

Default Re: Possible solution to Vista vs Horizons problems

"Thirdly and MOST importantly, NEVER, EVER, EVER, check off the checkbox on the patcher that says something to the effect of "Always delete these files without asking." Every time you run Horizon's from that point on, it will auto-delete the files that you are putting into the directory. This is why the work around never worked for me and I suspect others as well." Amorai

Hehehe, I did exactly that before I read your post about saying not to do that, now I'd like to know is there a way to undo what I did?
    I regret I have but one life to waste for Istaria!

use the "search contents of files" feature to find the file which lists the "allways delete" items.

there must be a list saved somewhere.

Just a note: I installed HZ on my Vista (gag) machine at work, and had no problems running.

I believe this might be due to having installed the vs2005 c++ redist package from microsoft to solve the issue of the game I'm currently testing at work not running (side by side configuration error) without it.

here's a link to the redist I'm using.

Here's the The x64 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    Just a note: I installed HZ on my Vista (gag) machine at work, and had no problems running.

I believe this might be due to having installed the vs2005 c++ redist package from microsoft to solve the issue of the game I'm currently testing at work not running (side by side configuration error) without it.

here's a link to the redist I'm using.

Here's the The x64 version.
    Tried installing that package and running the game, no luck. Horizons.exe still crashes as soon as it's invoked.
    The cake is a lie!

Only other things of note I can think of off-hand is that I have the "Windows Defender" anti-spyware crap turned off, I'm using the classic windows theme (no aero) and DEP is only on for system stuff (computer is a P4, no NX biit anyway) ... oh, and I'm using the August 2007 DX redistributable.

I'll look at other settings when I get into work.

Frid's trick worked for me. Vista launches it all the time as it should now.

Anyone got a link to a file that can restore the registry entries for the install so the silent patcher can resume its job from a webpage launch? I remember seeing it on someones website ages back.

I'd rather avoid having to reinstall when i can just place a few reg keys in

W00t! *chuckles*

The 64-bit redistrib took care of the issue for me. I checked Windows update afterwards to make sure that it wouldn't try to replace it with a newer version.

Just a note, if you use the redist. remove the files that you have copied to your games folder. They are not only no longer needed, but they won't work.

Also, like the others have said, make sure you have DEP turned on only for essential windows services. Window's defender hasn't given me any problems, but if it does it is almost certain to display some form of pop up or tray notification.

*sigh* So, it loads up perfectly fine now. But, the server itself appears to be not authenticating. I will try again later. I will assume that it's a server side issue that is being fixed.

Yep. Waited 20-30 minutes and I was able to get in.

This is the first time in a while that I have been able to play Horizons.

Thanks everyone!

Just a note: I'm getting "Horizons.exe has stopped working" errors so apparently I was wrong... I wonder why it worked on first patch, but not after a reboot? Maybe the prefetch info?

Arg! How very strange.

After I reboot, the same problem pops up. This time though, the redist package does nothing for me. I have a feeling that the patcher is doing something that it shouldn't be.

This is strange. Reinstalling the redistributables do nothing to fix the problem after the reboot either.

On a side note, I noticed that I had 4 redistributables installed by other applications. There is also a version that comes with Windows Vista.

I uninstalled all 4 and reinstalled the one from this thread. The Dll from the Vista OS is being used now instead of the redist.

It's almost as if after installing the redist, we need to modify the Class ID to file mapping in the registry or something.

Too much work x_x

I messed around with this for a few hours, cannot get it to run. I guess I will resign myself to waiting for a fix. I don't own an XP pc anymore.

Any suggestions to get Vista 64 to take the active x plug-in. It keeps blocking it so I can not log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Any suggestions to get Vista 64 to take the active x plug-in. It keeps blocking it so I can not log-in.
    Internet Explorer will block ActiveX controls by default. Here's what you do:
    1. Go to horizons.istaria.com
    2. Open the Internet Options (In IE, click Tools > Internet Options), and go to the Security tab
    3. Select "Trusted Sites", and move the security setting slider to "Low"
    4. Click the "Sites" button and add horizons.istaria.com to the list of trusted sites.
    5. Click the OK buttons until you've closed the Options dialog and returned to the web page, then refresh. It should now either just run the ActiveX control, or give you the choice to allow or deny, instead of just denying it.
    However, this is no guarantee that the game will actually run. The patcher should run just fine, but chances are Horizons.exe will crash as soon as it's invoked.
    Last edited by Rhainor; August 20th, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
    The cake is a lie!

Thanks I thought I had did that the first time. It did not take some how. Yea I will fiddle around and see what I can get to happen.

OK yes that fixed the first problem. LOL I then got the small box that just said horizons and ok, which is fixed by unselecting .net. Then I get I the error can not access the, oh crap what was it, the no replace file .auc, I do not remember that problem from before. Anyone have an idea on what might cause that?

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Well, you have all 4 sites in your trusted sites list? You should have the following sites added there. You will have to uncheck the https checkmark at bottom to get all of them in:

https://horizons.istaria.com
    http://horizons.istaria.com
    http://patch.istaria.com
    https://support.istaria.com

Once you have these added in, recheck the https checkmark and hit Ok repeatedly.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Probably not. I will see about adding those tonight. And thanks for the info.

Thread Information