Thread: History and repitition

Default History and repitition

Does history really repeat itself naturally? Or do we just allow it to happen and say it was inevitable?

I believe we have a rare opportunity to keep a certain history from happening again. When EI took over, we (including myself) barraged them with questions and demanded answers. Ill moods were rampant and there was a general distaste everywhere.

I want to know what is happening just as much as anyone else here. But I think the best movement forward is to show support of the progress we see and allow them to take their time in filling us in with the details, should they decide to tell us anything at all. Too many questions asking who our new benefactors are could prove to be a bit discouraging to them. Let good things happen at their own pace. Nothing from this point forward could be as bad as this past year. Wonderful surprises can be ruined with the asking of too many questions. :P

They are not going to be able to fix everything at once, so we all know patience is going to be needed. (Those of you who stuck it out through all the bad for the past year have my full respect!!!)

I am so happy with everything happening I guess I am scared if we aren't careful, it is going to break.

It is wonderful to log in and see so many familiar names!!! Hell, I am just happy to feel good about logging in again!!!!!!!!!

*kitty licks and hugs*
    Lex
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Default Re: History and repitition

Amen

*just watching and waiting*
    Drasdil Redin
    100 Paladin
    Order Shard

Ok, I don't know if this is in response to my other thread or not, but I don't really want them to do anything right away... just mainly tell us who they are

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Ok, I don't know if this is in response to my other thread or not,
    No dear, this was just something I have been thinking about and wanted to express.

There are a few small differences between then and now, Lex.

Our mysterious new owners introduced themselves by restarting Blight, answering tickets, fixing several of the issues with the community site, and finally changing the loading screen. EI introduced themselves with bad spelling, terrible grammar, and a lightbulb screaming "Dude! We want to publish your game!".

Questions asked out of excitement and hope are very different from ones asked out of fear and doubt. It's good to see people asking questions now. It means they want to know if it's time to come back.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Yes the difference between now and then was we were coming from a "high" to what quickly looked like a low. Now we are going from a low to a high. Right now most see as anyone could do better then EII/PMI/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    There are a few small differences between then and now, Lex.
    ---------------
    Questions asked out of excitement and hope are very different from ones asked out of fear and doubt. It's good to see people asking questions now. It means they want to know if it's time to come back.
    I agree. But I also know that when people ask a lot of questions, and get very little in the way of what they see as sufficient answers, or answers in the timeframe they deem appropriate, things can get ugly.

As I said in the original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDivinia View Post
    I am so happy with everything happening I guess I am scared if we aren't careful, it is going to break.

Default Re: History and repetition

I hate to cite a trite truism, but that ain't gonna stop me.

To rephrase LO's comments a bit, actions should be heard louder than words.

Whoever the folks behind the curtain are, they started out with sensible, needed actions. Reasonable priorities. I have no idea if demanding this, that, or t'other in the way of immediate answers would be counterproductive, but under the circumstances there is certainly no need for answers.

EI at the beginning were guilty of far greater errors than grammar; they did not research what they were purchasing, they alienated the people they needed, they did not understand at all why Hz had been growing, they were totally incompetent and/or dishonest re billing, and made promises to the customers that they did not keep.

Current events are a complete contrast, and if silence accompanies those events... well then I'm content to let the events do the talking.
    Last edited by Kulamata; August 17th, 2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spaced a paragraph properly.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

That I can post again gives them a thumbs up in my books They came in and stuff started getting fixed, and not a single word or trumpet. Actions DO speak louder than words.

Deoir has been getting antsy about returning to an MMORPG, but with a Kitten in the Den I worry about it a bit about the time we can spend hunting hehe..
    -HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Quote Originally Posted by HratLi View Post
    Deoir has been getting antsy about returning to an MMORPG, but with a Kitten in the Den I worry about it a bit about the time we can spend hunting hehe..
    The Kitten can help Mommy hunt, of course! Deoir collects so many death points normally that she'll hardly notice one or two more...

*ducks & covers*
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata View Post
    Current events are a complete contrast, and if silence accompanies those events... well then I'm content to let the events do the talking.
    amen to that. the only thing i want to know is if EII/PME/NGW/WTF has had all their strings and hooks removed (IE: is the handover to our mysterious Benefactors complete?) so i can call up my bank and tell them to deny and future charges by EII (just to be safe, i don't want those cretins to come up short for cash down the road and plug an old billing list into a new game to try and rustle up some illicit cash)

Quote Originally Posted by HratLi View Post
    That I can post again gives them a thumbs up in my books They came in and stuff started getting fixed, and not a single word or trumpet. Actions DO speak louder than words.

-HratLi
    Where is my black mohawk twin
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

I think a action speaks more than 1000 words. And actually the new owners DO something without much blah and blubb. I just hope and wait that Horizons gets back to its great time back. (And Unity again running).

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Drasdil Redin View Post
    Amen

*just watching and waiting*
    Could not have said it better myself.

I'll agree with LO and point out that the circumstances of this situation and the one with EI are completely different. EI had demonstrated incompetence: from their company site, to their 'other game', to their chairman, who should not have been allowed to type anything on behalf of the company. The questions we asked them were a way of pointing this out.

In contrast, the current group of people running HZ is showing they're competent. I'm willing to wait and see what they'll do.

As for asking questions and "hurting them", that is part of the business and it comes with dealing with a large number of people. Tough questions, tough answers and having people upset with their decisions is part of the job. It's better that they realize this and prepare for it, rather than hope it never happens.

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I want to get my hopes up again, but this could be a very good thing. I continually look back at HZ with fondness, and the mere thought that it might rise up again makes me glad. For now though, I'll lurk, wait, and see what comes of this.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Hey Ssilmath!

I'll be keeping an eye on things from a bit of a distance as well, but it's nice to see you're still checking in on things. It would sure bring a smile to my face to run into you again in-game sometime. Till then, I'll keep my eyes here, and look forward to the day.

Thread Information