Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Client and Memory

Default New Client and Memory

As you're testing Blight, please have a look at your system memory. You should see the memory usage significantly lower than the current live client. We're interested in your perceptions, as well as actual usage. When sending in information about memory, please let us know how long you have been playing and how many times you have ported to different places. We've already received great feedback on the client and would like to encourage everyone to keep the comments coming.

Thank you - Horizons CS

Default Re: New Client and Memory

I gather its the PF usage you want
    started with 540Mb at log in
    after 10 minutes or running around the same area the usage rose to 560
    1 recall 640
    1 port 720 .... 5 minute chinwag and the usage started to drop
    20 minutes and 3 ports later max usage 810 throttled back to 720 around auggy
    more raoming the aug battlefield and usage lowered to 680
    so at a glance i would say the PF usage drops off the more you hover the same area
    something which prior to this was a problem
    hope this helps

Under the new client with vista I had long log times and world crash recalling or porting. I disabled AVG scanning for the Horizon folder and I can port no. If still a little long the first time, but no problem porting. AS to memory use. I am not sure as my Lag window was stuck at 20, had 70 when I logged in at Dralk, and the memory and text memory did not raise about 20, but I assume that was a problem and not reading correctly.

I did alot of flying all over Istaria for about an hour and done a few recalls and portalings and sofar the gradual lag buildup is less noticable and my memory usage hovered between 730 - 930 mb.
    Chromos - 100 Ancient Lunus, 100 DragonCrafter,100 Lairshaper
    Titles - Expert DragonCrafter - Expert Lairshaper

My memory ramps up to 100% computer usage the moment I start logging into HZ and never backs down until I log out.

I know that this is quite a bit late in reply, but there still seems to be a massive memory leak with the game.

Is that cpu or memory?

It sounds like cpu usage, which is what you want. If your CPU isn't pegged at 100%, then it could be doing more to make HZ go faster.

yeah, you're right, it's CPU usage.. but I can run other games with full options without my CPU usage pegging at 100%. Horizons shouldn't be as much of hog on this as it is... and I keep everything ramped down, music off, view distance at 15%, you name it and I still get periods of 1 to 2 minutes where my machine locks up because it's trying to run another, small background operation. I can run Oblivion for 3 hours without a hick-up, WoW for 8+ with no client-side lag.

If there's something I can do about this, I'd like to know what it is. Short of buying a new computer, which is what I'd have to do to upgrade my video card any further.

If there's nothing I can do about it, that's fine too, I just hope that it's one of the things that they're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir View Post
    Horizons shouldn't be as much of hog on this as it is... and I keep everything ramped down, music off, view distance at 15%, you name it and I still get periods of 1 to 2 minutes where my machine locks up because it's trying to run another, small background operation. I can run Oblivion for 3 hours without a hick-up, WoW for 8+ with no client-side lag.
    What are your system specs?
    CPU type and sped
    memory type/speed and size
    hard disk type, size and %used

Let's go from there.

Ive been eating up text mem really fast it hovers around 70-80 then hits 90+ and i crash
    porting or doing a /loadui does not help it only a reboot/restart
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    What are your system specs?
    CPU type and sped
    memory type/speed and size
    hard disk type, size and %used

Let's go from there.
    I'll get this for ya, but it won't be until after the weekend, just wanted to let you know I'll do it. (Posting from work right now.. surgery tomorrow.. ewwww.)

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 processor
    3000+
    1.84 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    I'm not sure of the type, but I know it's 2 500s working in tandem.

Hard Disk: NTFS 144GB/ 42.9GB free space

Hope that's the information that you're looking for, Steelclaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir View Post
    Hard Disk: NTFS 144GB/ 42.9GB free space
    SATA or IDE one ?

Your CPU looks like it is sufficient. Don't expect 40fps in Tazoon! 12-22 fps in most places is a good expectation though, assuming you have a video card with dedicated ram, and at least 128MB of it.

As for the hanging, it sounds like that's windows swapping to/from disk. Get more ram, 2GB is a good number. Start trimming down your systray. More ram and fewer background processes will improve your experience. Also, fix your swapfile size to some small number, I use 256M (min = max = 256M). You want it big enough to hold inactive processes so they don't live in ram, but not so big that windows starts to put bits of active processes in it.

According to the minimum and recomended specs your comp exeeds them
    therefore there should be no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    SATA or IDE one ?
    How do I find that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Your CPU looks like it is sufficient. Don't expect 40fps in Tazoon! 12-22 fps in most places is a good expectation though, assuming you have a video card with dedicated ram, and at least 128MB of it.
    My card has 256MB of dedicated RAM, I remember because I upgraded that just 4 months ago.

As for the hanging, it sounds like that's windows swapping to/from disk. Get more ram, 2GB is a good number.
    Would love to, that's an economic issue, though. Every dollar counts right now.

Start trimming down your systray. More ram and fewer background processes will improve your experience. Also, fix your swapfile size to some small number, I use 256M (min = max = 256M). You want it big enough to hold inactive processes so they don't live in ram, but not so big that windows starts to put bits of active processes in it.
    Do you have any good links that give a run-down on how to do these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Theros Ironfeld View Post
    According to the minimum and recomended specs your comp exeeds them therefore there should be no problem
    Yeah, that's kinda my point. I'd love that part to work as advertised. Just wondering if Virtrium can do it, or if those minimum specs are essentially bogus.

I figured out how to change my swap file size, I'll be trying your recommendations on that, Steelclaw.

Still not sure how to determine if my hard rive is SATA or IDE... how much does it matter? From what I was able to find out those are just two interface types (SATA being the more commone one).

You'd have to look at it and see what the data cable looks like. IDE has a fat one, SATA is skinny. As for which one, I'm not sure how that matters.

Although, it's worth noting that Windows sometimes drops the drive into PIO mode instead of UDMA, which will absolutely kill your system performance. That is usually only if you have a failing drive, though.

Not worried about having a failing drive as my computer performs well in all other areas.

Changing the file swap size helped a bit with teleporting hang-up/crashes but I still get the random hanging lag simply tooling about doing the crafting thing. It makes me cautious about even advancing my adventuring schools. (1-minute hang-ups while a mob is giving me a beating? Erg.)

Thread Information