Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consistently Working Under Vista

Default Consistently Working Under Vista

Ok this whole process is a pain in the ****** but I do have Horizons working under vista.

Here is the way my pc is set up at the moment.

User Account Control is turned off.
    I do have the 2005 C++ Libraries installed from the Vista thread (I have not tried this process without them installed)
    I do not have the .dll replacement files in the horizons directory.
    I do have all of the istaria sites added to my IE trusted sites list.

This is how I get horizons to work, and I found this out by mistake after mistaking horizons.exe for the standalone launcher.

1. A clean reboot (If you have crashed horizons at all then you need to reboot)

2. Go to your horizons folder and right click on the horizons.exe file and hit run as administrator. The slash screen will show up and then an error message telling you to log in from the website.

3. Use the website or the standalone launcher to log in and start horizons.

I have tested this with blight and chaos, also with my old account and the new one I was planning on starting. The whole client works after it starts, I was able to create a character and play.

The crash problem must have something to do with the way Horizons switched between the launcher and the client. And I honestly have no idea why it works this way, but it does.

Unhappy Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

I have done everything that you have said in your post above. i even got it to do the download which i couldnt get it to do otherwise. i only have an admin acct and wont turn it off but did go into the folder and tell it to run as administrator but i never got the error u were talking about either. I have 2005 C ++ libraries already installed. but now when i try to log in all i get is the sign in and i push the button to play and everything stops. no loading of anything.

stuck again.

Default Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    I have done everything that you have said in your post above. i even got it to do the download which i couldnt get it to do otherwise. i only have an admin acct and wont turn it off but did go into the folder and tell it to run as administrator but i never got the error u were talking about either. I have 2005 C ++ libraries already installed. but now when i try to log in all i get is the sign in and i push the button to play and everything stops. no loading of anything.

stuck again.
    I also have DEP turned off for Horizons and I gave my Vista User Name full rights to the Horizons folder...

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16150

If you need to know how to do either see the above thread.

I think that is the only two settings I forgot to mention.

Working for me now under Vista. Had a problem that I guess some reboot fixed I guess. I Patched logged in had a few min of a black screen with a UI then every thing came up. I chatted for a while dropped out and patched in the map pack and the a couple other mods and logged back in just fine. Yea! The chet flies again!

Unhappy Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

i have been able to get into game a couple times but not constantly. guess we r all still waiting for a fix for vista when everything else u try that is suggested doesn't work.

i guess we r still stuck.

Vista. Leave home without it. (BTW, why can't I put in carriage returns in quick reply?)
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

2005 C++ Lib's ??

why would you need those ?? If Tulga implemented the dot net side things properly than no matter the version of dot net you use ( as long as its at least at the same version programmed against) than you shouldn't need anything else.

Though I haven't tried with Vista it strikes me as any problem with running the game under vista would be more of a DX version issue than anything else. Thats the problem with just about any game that has issues under vista.

I have tried everything mentioned in forums to get the game to work under Vista but still get the error:

"The procedure entry point _ftol2_sse could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll."

This leads to the horizons.exe not working.

How do I fix this?

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Avara View Post
    I have tried everything mentioned in forums to get the game to work under Vista but still get the error:

"The procedure entry point _ftol2_sse could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll."

This leads to the horizons.exe not working.

How do I fix this?

Thanks to anyone that can help me.
    i was getting those types of errors until i installed the 2005 C++ library files and they stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by walkertn View Post
    Ok this whole process is a pain in the ****** but I do have Horizons working under vista.

Here is the way my pc is set up at the moment.

User Account Control is turned off.
    I do have the 2005 C++ Libraries installed from the Vista thread (I have not tried this process without them installed)
    I do not have the .dll replacement files in the horizons directory.
    I do have all of the istaria sites added to my IE trusted sites list.

This is how I get horizons to work, and I found this out by mistake after mistaking horizons.exe for the standalone launcher.

1. A clean reboot (If you have crashed horizons at all then you need to reboot)

2. Go to your horizons folder and right click on the horizons.exe file and hit run as administrator. The slash screen will show up and then an error message telling you to log in from the website.

3. Use the website or the standalone launcher to log in and start horizons.

I have tested this with blight and chaos, also with my old account and the new one I was planning on starting. The whole client works after it starts, I was able to create a character and play.

The crash problem must have something to do with the way Horizons switched between the launcher and the client. And I honestly have no idea why it works this way, but it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkertn View Post
    I also have DEP turned off for Horizons and I gave my Vista User Name full rights to the Horizons folder...
    i am now working under vista with USER ACCOUTS on but only administration working and have logged in about 5 times, in fact i am logged in now. i have had no problems with vista and hz after doing the suggestions from walkertn but i did a few more steps.

instead of having DEP turned off for horizons.exe i also have DEP turned off for Horizonslauncher.exe and for silentpatcher.exe.

i also clicked on properties of each of the 3 exe files mentioned above and went into the compatability tab and at the bottom i checked 'RUN THE PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR' and then clicked on the the button at the bottom to show settings for all users and checked the same thing there click apply where needed on both, close and repeat for all 3. why i cant tell u why but it works.

i also added all the horizon sites in my popup blocker settings in internet explorer internet options.
    1. horizons.istaria.com
    2. patch.istaria.com
    3. support.horizons.com
    i also added the next 2 for good measure.
    1. *.horizons.com
    2. *.istaria.com

also make sure that cookies is clicked to accept all sessions and the override is also clicked.

make sure that all the sites are also added in your trusted sites section. u will have to unchecked the require server verifications for all sites in this zone.
    https://horizons.istaria.com
    http://horizons.istaria.com
    http://patch.istaria.com
    https://support.istaria.com

there is one thing i have found to be true, if u have crashed or not been able to load HZ for some reason you need to restart vista and then go into the HZ folder and right click on Horizons.exe and run as administrator...i dont know why but i can log in the main way everytime. i do this each and everytime i restart vista as a refresher for the program. IT WORKS...dont ask questions...i was always told.

i hope you can get this to work for you.

PS1 make sure that you are logging in with the "/userprefs useloadingscreen true" or it may not load correctly.

PS2 i have only gone in the front way, main entrance, to HZ repeatedly so since that is what works that is what i do.

Red face Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Thanks Ann very much. How do turn on or off DEP (what is that anyway???) for those programs.

Sorry not very computer savy

Thanks again

Smile Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Avara View Post
    Thanks Ann very much. How do turn on or off DEP (what is that anyway???) for those programs.

Sorry not very computer savy

Thanks again
    1. control panel
    2. system and maintenance
    3. system
    4. then click on, Advanced system settings
    5. under advanced tab, in proformance, click on settings
    6. click on 'Data Exceptions Prevention' tab
    7. then choose, turn on DEP for all programs and services except those i select.
    8. at the bottom, click on ADD and browse to the directory where HZ is and add those 3 exe files.
    9. after all r added click apply, apply or ok, and once all windows r closed that part is done.

for each thing u do make sure u restart vista before clicking on HZ.exe (run as administrator) and then logging into game. i do this after every restart of vista even if i didnt do anything.

PS Also make sure ur firewalls let HZ inbound and outbound so they dont stop the program either. this jus do a search and help will help u to add hz.exe

Ann

Talking Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Thank you everyone for the help. The games runs perfectly in Vista Premium now.

I basically did not install those .dll files as previously we were told to do and I did install that c++ addon for vista. I patched using the website patcher then I play starting with the quick launcher.

Ann's and Walkertn's suggestions worked the best as well as the other post in the hardware section.

It starts every time and runs perfectly

Thanks again!!!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

GUESS WHO'S ON BLIGHT AS WE SPEAK!!!

that's right, thanx to the posts over at 'consistently logging in with vista', i have gotten on to my long lost home!!
    i am at my plot, but considering a quick tour around. not sure if it will last, but at least i have hope that a permanent fix can be found!!
    thanx to everyone for all the suggestions and i wish i could express how happy i am right now!!

(repost from other threads)
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Does not help me I am still getting the error after trying to patch. I think I need to do a fresh install of Vista and try again.

ok i tried to restart my computer...when i got logged back onto vista i couldnt get it to log on....so i kept restarting my comp to see if it was something i did....then i remembered when i restarted the first time i changed the amount of ram used for the video in the bios to help the game. went from 64 to 128. so i went back into bios and changed this setting....loaded vista again and tried to log in and i am right now logged back into game. not sure what that has to do with it but it helped on a restart,,,,going to check restart again and see what happens.

more to come if that wasnt it.

ok this time it made no difference but i did find restarting computer a couple times did seem to help for some reason.

BTW: Deth all these changes r all done after i did a reboot of vista. i also installed the 2005 C++ files before installing HZ. not sure if that will help.

Thanks. I need to rebuild Vista anyway have a few other left over programs laying around I can not get rid of and starting from scratch with a clean install Might help some. Just have to make sure and back up all my game saves.

ok i dont know why but once u get hz going it will go fine til u have to restart computer, whether it is a restart or to turn it on and off....i have restarted my laptop over 2 dozens times and i can get it to work maybe 2 to 3 times endless until the computer is restarted again.

take your chances on restarting if ur finally playing HZ

Ann

ok did a bit more experiementing with logging in and out of the game. here is what i found out.

first and most important: if u change any settings on the computer or in bios make sure u restart again, a second time cant hurt.

2nd: i went into my anti-virus GUARD section and added the horizons folder to the exceptions. it still gets scanned everynite when im sleeping but the guard for everyday on and off the internet for horizons folder is left alone. (u may have to read up on the particular anti-virus program u have to add hz folder) i use Avira antivir Classic, the free version, and it can be found at http://www.free-av.com/

3rd: check to make sure ur popup blocker for IE is not blocking the hz site. add the site addressed listed in a previous post i made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    PS2 i have only gone in the front way, main entrance, to HZ repeatedly so since that is what works that is what i do.
    i have also done this for the launcher several times now as well...this may not be perfect yet. (1 out of every 4-5 times this worked for me.) restarting does not always work but it is a good start til what is actually stopping hz from working everytime is found. (also if u turn ur computer off and then turn it back on u might have to restart as well.)

Remember, take your chances on restarting if ur finally playing HZ

Ann

The official response I got from customer support within 24 hours.... thats really cool actually... is below. The response is ok too I guess:

Greetings Avara,
    I can understand the frustration that this issue causes. This is a known issue and the live team is already hard at work for a hotfix and a more permanent resolution. Although I cannot give an exact ETA I can assure you that it is being worked on.
    So at this time Horizons is only supported on WIN XP / 2000 OS's.
    We appreciate your patience as we work on this.

Thank you,
    -Reyem,
    Horizons Customer Support

Thread Information