Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Consistently Working Under Vista

Default Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Nope no go still for me. Unistalled and reinstalled and no good.

I didn't need to reinstall after installing SP1. I must say though I have yet to have Horizons fail to start since doing it. So it looks like SP1 is the answer at this time.
    Although since install SP1 I've lost everything in my control panel, so not sure what trouble that is going to cause me.

Thanks for the reply. Since I had an option to have a two week trail on my EU unity account I downloaded the client. Giving the recommended files posted in this thread run as adim, and turning off UAC and installing Sp1 RC (before I installed Horizons) and that Visual Basic sp for good measure. I had no issues logging in to the game. I've logged out a few times and back in np. All I haven't done is try reboot and see if it still logs in fine. I'll posed an update here once I've gone through a few reboots on how Horizons is holding up.

Just done one reboot. I can still log in fine.
    Last edited by Greenclaw1; January 26th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Still a no go for me. Uninstalled Horizons, rebooted, Reinstalled, turned off UAC, Got in, rebooted and no go again.

SO SP1 no go for me. For those that it is working for. Was this a fresh install of vista??

Nah, been running Vista 64 for almost a year now. Sorry to hear it's still not working out for you, guess there's not much else but to wait for the Vista fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Still a no go for me. Uninstalled Horizons, rebooted, Reinstalled, turned off UAC, Got in, rebooted and no go again.

SO SP1 no go for me. For those that it is working for. Was this a fresh install of vista??

Nope had Vista running on this Pc since July 07. Did you apply run as Admin check box for the files Horizons.exe, HorizonsLauncher.exe and silentPatcher.exe in the Horizons dir? Do that then turn off UAC. The only other thing I can think off that I have turned off is also the Vista Aero UI. I also installed that 2005 C++ sp for vista after I installed sp1 RC.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Decided to try to give the game a try and can't even launch it =( This is what Vista tells me.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: horizons.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 44a31023
    Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
    Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a727
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000a75f
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 393e
    Additional Information 2: 0488f55fef163bf107a88450052e9ad8
    Additional Information 3: bbbc
    Additional Information 4: 923f2582e955e2ecc4c467a60a12aec8

I plan to buy a new laptop and/or pc before long and of course they will come with Vista. Has anyone looked into simply installing XP instead of Vista? I heard that some new PCs don't run with XP, anyone know this to be true or false? Would be an Intel and MS evil plot I think if that is so but in any case I'd strongly consider reformatting my HD on a new PC and installing XP.

Quote Originally Posted by QuO View Post
    I plan to buy a new laptop and/or pc before long and of course they will come with Vista. Has anyone looked into simply installing XP instead of Vista? I heard that some new PCs don't run with XP, anyone know this to be true or false? Would be an Intel and MS evil plot I think if that is so but in any case I'd strongly consider reformatting my HD on a new PC and installing XP.
    Drivers can be a problem, but in my experience I've had no problem finding xp drivers through the manufacturer website for both Toshiba and Packard Bell. The main problem is finding a legal copy of Xp. I sold an old pc, that originally came with xp, but I removed the sticker and sold that pc without an OS. I then used that key on my laptop that came with Vista. They had even split the hd already, almost anticipating people installing Xp on the second partition. They were right here.

I have used other ways to install Xp and making it pass the authenticity check, but you can't beat a proper key and cd. They will become harder to find now that MS are not selling it.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    1. control panel
    2. system and maintenance
    3. system
    4. then click on, Advanced system settings
    5. under advanced tab, in proformance, click on settings
    6. click on 'Data Exceptions Prevention' tab
    7. then choose, turn on DEP for all programs and services except those i select.
    8. at the bottom, click on ADD and browse to the directory where HZ is and add those 3 exe files.
    9. after all r added click apply, apply or ok, and once all windows r closed that part is done.

for each thing u do make sure u restart vista before clicking on HZ.exe (run as administrator) and then logging into game. i do this after every restart of vista even if i didnt do anything.

PS Also make sure ur firewalls let HZ inbound and outbound so they dont stop the program either. this jus do a search and help will help u to add hz.exe

Ann
    I want to try this, but I can't use the DEP options. I'm logged in as my comp's admin and still can't use/change anything. Any idea what to do about this?

I created a trial account and spent a good portion of my saturday trying to get Horizons to run under Vista 64. Major no go.

Is there a time frame for when we can expect a Vista fix, or an updated client?

All PCs can run XP.

You can still format and install XP on the new computers, that's what I did with the one I bought in June, I was able to find most of the drivers, however my sound card and network card were apparently and I had to buy new XP compatable hardware for both

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    You can still format and install XP on the new computers, that's what I did with the one I bought in June, I was able to find most of the drivers, however my sound card and network card were apparently and I had to buy new XP compatable hardware for both
    WITH ONE CAUTIONARY NOTE!!!! If you have sata drives, the xp install cd will likely not have the required drivers to detect those drives and the install will fail before it even starts (says no hd installed).

I encountered this problem with my toshiba laptop, and a Packard Bell desktop. I had to use another pc, or your existing Vista installation, to create a new XP cd with the drivers spliced into the cd image (googled how to do this). If a machine comes with Vista, it is worth the effort to create a dual boot. Like it or not, Vista is the new o/s and software will slowly become Vista-only.

Rakku

I won't install XP only for this game... even if it hurts not to play. I've got 8GB RAM and like it... XP 64Bit is a no go, because it lacks many drivers. So only possibility is Vista 64Bit.

Sad to say, but if there won't be vista support in near feature I will only play from time to time on my laptop (with XP installed).
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by comeonyoureds View Post
    All PCs can run XP.
    True, all PCs can run Windows XP. However, there are some things you should consider. First, drivers. A PC that ships with Vista installed may or may not have XP drivers for its hardware. Finding functional drivers for some pieces of proprietary hardware can be . . . problematic. Second, Vista supports and can actually take advantage of the latest and greatest hardware, such as 4+ GB of ram, superior 64-bit support, and superior multi-core support. Downgrading a system with a 64-bit quad core CPU and 8GB of RAM to XP would be crippling, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I won't install XP only for this game... even if it hurts not to play. I've got 8GB RAM and like it... XP 64Bit is a no go, because it lacks many drivers. So only possibility is Vista 64Bit.

Sad to say, but if there won't be vista support in near feature I will only play from time to time on my laptop (with XP installed).
    I'm in the same boat, except I updated my laptop to Vista for the better drivers, stability, and security.

I'd love to play Horizons again, but until there is a consistently working Vista client, I will not resub. I don't make enough money to pay for a product I cannot use.

And I'd say the fact that there are multiple, lengthy Vista threads, says that there is considerable interest in Vista support. So, whats the hold up? I understand that things take time, but some feedback on current status of a Vista client would be nice. Are the devs even working on one?

I think its great that the Horizons is actually alive again, with live content and patches being created, but the cold hard truth is that Vista is not going away and more and more people are moving to Vista, for better or worse. And with Windows 7 shaping up into little more than a glorified service pack for Vista, Horizons needs a Vista compatible client if they actually want to try grow their subscriber base.

Here's how I got Istaria running on Vista. The way I did it isn't a very economical nor is it time saving.I first installed the game on my Vista machine. I then installed the game on my old XP laptop( The computer is too old to run the game). I patched the game in XP, then I then went and copied the folder(the entire game) and transfered the game over on Vista. Started the game, through the website, declicked the .net and scanners and the game runs fine. I haven't tried rebooting, but I don't see that being a problem. 1 huge flaw my process has, it when the game updates I have to transfere everything over again on Vista because the updater does not run for me(on Vista.)

Quote Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
    Here's how I got Istaria running on Vista. The way I did it isn't a very economical nor is it time saving.I first installed the game on my Vista machine. I then installed the game on my old XP laptop( The computer is too old to run the game). I patched the game in XP, then I then went and copied the folder(the entire game) and transfered the game over on Vista. Started the game, through the website, declicked the .net and scanners and the game runs fine. I haven't tried rebooting, but I don't see that being a problem. 1 huge flaw my process has, it when the game updates I have to transfere everything over again on Vista because the updater does not run for me(on Vista.)
    If I were you... I wouldn't reboot! I'm pretty sure it won't work, but please prove me wrong.

Rakku

I'll have to prove you wrong after the update(i hope).

Quote Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
    I'll have to prove you wrong after the update(i hope).
    I still think it's something daft... something in one of the MS C runtimes. With a releaser copy of Vista the game works, then MS patched something and it all went wrong. Probably some tiny incompatibility that Istaria has highlighted.

The times I've gotten into Istaria since, it's usually been the reboot after installing software that has installed C runtimes as part of its overall installation. The last install to do that was the latest ATI drivers... installed, rebooted, Istaria worked for one boot ... and never worked since.

Rakku

Thread Information