Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patience in the interim...

Default Patience in the interim...

I know that for some of us here, being patient is REALLY a hard thing to be.

After suffering through a buggy release, extraordinarily inconsistent development that would take 2 steps forward and then 5 steps back. Developers that would more often break things than fix them. Suffered through heavy handed treatment from developers with ego issues. THEN, to have the game they loyally defended, and stuck with, sold to a company that was ten time worse than anything Artifact/Tulga ever did.

Just looking at posts in this board tells you that EVERYONE has a passion for Horizons.

For some, it is a bitter passion to warn others away from something that has hurt their feelings so deeply.

For others, it is a somewhat sad passion, that hopes things will improve, but have been disappointed so often by those they trusted, that they will probably never cheer, but will doggedly support the game till it is gone.

Those first two types have obviously become far too invested in the game, as it has become more than a game or hobby, but an important part of their life.

Now, this is just my opinion ( and as such worth little in the grand scheme ). After ALL that has happened, Horizons look to be on the road to restoration and a possibly bright future. Now is the time to FORGET about everything that came before, and look at Horizons with the new eyes of a beginner player.

What would you as a new player feel if the only thing you read on the boards was vitriolic bile from bitter ex-players? Enthused to play this great game? Probably not.

Does this game deserve positive comments from us?
    Of course it does, after all we still play, so WE must like something about it.

Does this game compare to other games well?
    That is so subjective, that there is little reason to bother. This game was never supposed to be like other games. The very features we like ( Multiclassing, world structure building, even town ownership ) are the very things that set it apart from others.

So, here is my suggestion to all...

Don't put on rose colored glasses, but DO try to look at Horizons as a new player would. And when you post, remember that there ARE things you enjoy here and positives to pass along. And when VI starts making noticable progress and new players again start playing, don't bother reminding them of all the bad, try to encourage them with what you LIKE.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: Patience in the interim...

Aamer, you make me wanna cry
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

And, please, would someone give us an address so we can find out the closest locations to order delivery for these guys????

I think the morale boost of knowing we still are here for them inasmuch as they're here for us would do wonders.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Virtrium LLC
    461 W. Apache Trail #117
    Apache Junction, AZ 85220
    FAX: 866.420.3722
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gah, Apache Junction?

Don't bother with delivery, no one will deliver out there! (Scary place AJ is...)

Ahh, Apache Junction... Someone I know maintains the old AT&T microwave facility up in the hills near there. It's not that bad.

Patience, I've always had.

As I have said before, and will say again: I have spent more for less.

To support a dream and keep people who are enjoying it now happy? Of course.

This does't make me an investor or anything, though. Though one wonders if shares of a LLC can be sold..

this board its community is no different than any other MMO. I always found it funny that people think the people that play HZ are going to be any different than what you find elsewhere.

The board is always going to be a hothouse for current issues. Remember this is just a game thats all it is. If Horizons shut down tommorrow would your life honestly be less for it being gone ? For any game being gone from your life ? If you answer yes than I suggest seeing a counselor honest.

But really lets not disregard the past but rather learn from it. its something Vitrium I have hoped has learned the long hard painful lessons of the Bowman era. Cause no matter what HZ failed and failed miserably. Lets hope that vitrium has their hats on straight and a clear cut understanding of what it will take to keep HZ moving along. Right now the best you are gonna get is a small but stable game with a small dev team committed to improving it as best they can. Is there really anything wrong with that ?

but Vitrium does seem to be more communicative than Tulga ever was. I cannot say that Vitrium has been any worse and I can definitely say they have been better. Now will they be better at the developmental side ? Thats still in the future and I have no crystal ball.

Gosh... Apache junction (I fondly remember that place having to service vending machines out there when I worked in AZ for a year in 1992)

I saw "Willie Nelson's" travel RV parked there once in the grocery store lot.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Gah, Apache Junction?

Don't bother with delivery, no one will deliver out there! (Scary place AJ is...)
    didn't AJ just recently get indoor plumbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan View Post
    Now is the time to FORGET about everything that came before, and look at Horizons with the new eyes of a beginner player.
    "Those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Actually, Tryagain, each feature of an MMORPG affects what kind of people tend to play the game and how they interact with each other as a community.

Forums, however, are basically the same from game to game. Forums bring out the worst in people.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Actually, Tryagain, each feature of an MMORPG affects what kind of people tend to play the game and how they interact with each other as a community.

Forums, however, are basically the same from game to game. Forums bring out the worst in people.
    I believe there was a comic found on Penny Arcade that summed it up nicely... Let's see here...

Ahh, here it is: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Pharcellus and Tryagain...

C'mon fellas... do you really think that Rick, Sean, and Jason, 3 guys who were FIRED by the former company, don't know EXACTLY what went wrong before? They are the ONLY ones that need to keep a handle on the mistakes of the past.

When the mistakes of OTHERS that were in control are brought up here, we're only hurting ourselves. Now is the time to grow up a bit, and make a fresh start. Or do you guys really really feel that bitter?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Dunno. It's not about "feeling" anything. The Nature of Humanity says that the default situation is to gravitate toward mediocrity. Yes, they have high aims; everyone does; dreams are a dime a dozen. It's in the realization of dreams where humans shine or (in most cases) burn out, oft times spectacularly (e.g. AE-******-Tulga).

Since these are some of the same people involved, there is a natural tendency to wonder if the mistakes of the past will be blithely repeated as a matter of rote.
    If DB was involved, the question would be academic, but just because he isn't here doesn't mean everything is automatically perfect; his weren't the only mistakes and errors committed. Baker still is in control of things, and there is no guarantee he won't pull a repeat performance of last year 6 months or a year down the road, unless he gave them one in writing that is perpetual or something.

If anything, it's not bitterness, it's cautious regard for the potential. It's kinda like when your mom reminds you to take your jacket and not talk to strangers. You know it, but the reinforcement helps keep you on the straight and narrow.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Baker still is in control of things, and there is no guarantee he won't pull a repeat performance of last year 6 months or a year down the road, unless he gave them one in writing that is perpetual or something.
    With the huge amount of other playable dragon MMOs around...

I pray they don't bork it again.

Horizons is such a strange phenomenon. More successful and finished MMOs have been terminated without second thought, Horizons seems to live for the immense love poured into it, against any logical business and human established ways.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Now this is just my view mind you, but I think the reason people love it so much is quite simple.

In THIS game you can actually change the game world and leave a lasting mark.

If plaques were mounted on every shop in the field we use while crafting, there would be many names listed that all of us know. Every town, or community was hand built by players. Even many of the npc towns like Harro owe the players for their rebuilding efforts.

All mmorpg's eventually become chat clients with some entertainment value. Horizons can still be a place where you can affect the world permanently.

Now all that has to happen, is VI needs to add content that furthers the story arch... ( and YES there is one ), or introduce ANY common goal for us to rally around, and they would have returned us to the glory days.

Yes Aamer that was what kept me around for 3+ years waiting as my dragon to be able to help build stuff and change the world. That is what kept me for long after EI EI OH/PMI/whoever took over working on Chiconis and Dralk Community Lairs. But being a Dragon also had a small part.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan View Post
    I know that for some of us here, being patient is REALLY a hard thing to be.

After suffering through a buggy release, extraordinarily inconsistent development that would take 2 steps forward and then 5 steps back. Developers that would more often break things than fix them. Suffered through heavy handed treatment from developers with ego issues. THEN, to have the game they loyally defended, and stuck with, sold to a company that was ten time worse than anything Artifact/Tulga ever did.

Just looking at posts in this board tells you that EVERYONE has a passion for Horizons.

For some, it is a bitter passion to warn others away from something that has hurt their feelings so deeply.

For others, it is a somewhat sad passion, that hopes things will improve, but have been disappointed so often by those they trusted, that they will probably never cheer, but will doggedly support the game till it is gone.

Those first two types have obviously become far too invested in the game, as it has become more than a game or hobby, but an important part of their life.

Now, this is just my opinion ( and as such worth little in the grand scheme ). After ALL that has happened, Horizons look to be on the road to restoration and a possibly bright future. Now is the time to FORGET about everything that came before, and look at Horizons with the new eyes of a beginner player.

What would you as a new player feel if the only thing you read on the boards was vitriolic bile from bitter ex-players? Enthused to play this great game? Probably not.

Does this game deserve positive comments from us?
    Of course it does, after all we still play, so WE must like something about it.

Does this game compare to other games well?
    That is so subjective, that there is little reason to bother. This game was never supposed to be like other games. The very features we like ( Multi classing, world structure building, even town ownership ) are the very things that set it apart from others.

So, here is my suggestion to all...

Don't put on rose colored glasses, but DO try to look at Horizons as a new player would. And when you post, remember that there ARE things you enjoy here and positives to pass along. And when VI starts making noticeable progress and new players again start playing, don't bother reminding them of all the bad, try to encourage them with what you LIKE.
    Here here Aamer. I'm behind everything you said.

I took a long break from HZ and played wow. I didn't like that game as much as HZ. I'm back now and making a fresh start and am rejuvenated. I'm excited to be back and can't get enough of the game. The bags under my eyes is proof of that.

Horizons is such a strange phenomenon. More successful and finished MMOs have been terminated without second thought, Horizons seems to live for the immense love poured into it, against any logical business and human established ways.
    Quite remarkable, ain't it? - We're still alive, against ALL odds...

Thread Information