Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas to help Horizons - Advertising, cash shop?, more way to bring money in.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Ideas to help Horizons - Advertising, cash shop?, more way to bring money in.

Just found this when I did a search on cafepress for "Istaria":

Istaria T-Shirts and Gifts

Related Topics: horizons, warcraft, WoW, RPG, dragon, gamer, games, geek, children, Fantasy / Science Fiction, kids, fantasy, gifts, funny, humor

Four designs:

Now, for the love of it all, PLEASE make an OFFICIAL cafepress store!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Default Re: Ideas to help Horizons - Advertising, cash shop?, more way to bring money in.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    "Community supports their own game's finances." Quick somebody call the presses! Where are those reporters when you need them!
    Lol, I meant like, actual money. But you get the idea.
    __________________________________________________ __________

I think it'd be great to see a Horizons Monopoly game, with little houses and lairs you can build on it, and some of the communities in the world; although it is probably quite unfeasible.

Why? Main communities like all the racial towns with a couple of the smaller settlements around them.

Utilities would have to be, well, Bristugo and, ummmm, hmmmm, New Trismus?

Big money pair would be Ice Island and Fire Island? Or should we go with Trandalar and Drakul?

Maybe just have to go with more colors and a bigger board than the original Monopoly. Really, Genevia, Scorpion Island, and Abandoned Island should be a grouping. So should Fabric Island and the Isle of Wisp.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Just found this when I did a search on cafepress for "Istaria":

Istaria T-Shirts and Gifts

Related Topics: horizons, warcraft, WoW, RPG, dragon, gamer, games, geek, children, Fantasy / Science Fiction, kids, fantasy, gifts, funny, humor

Four designs:

OMG! I want that bumper sticker sooo bad! Yes yes make it official! I want to buy Horizons stuff. Someone pull Horizons CG in here and rub their nose in these ideas so they can get the picture that this would be a good form of cash flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalina View Post
    OMG! I want that bumper sticker sooo bad!
    LOL - C'Gan, these are my designs. Glad you like them!

Avalina, sending you a PM. Alla & I both have that bumper sticker on our cars. It's a great way to meet other dragon lovers at work.

It also looks good on black:

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

LaughingOtter, you have TOTALLY freaked me out!

I was worried about copyright violation on the dragon design and the fact that it was referenced as both Horizons and Istaria without the actual stamped approval of the new ownership.

But I still think we need the Horizons logo on there somewhere and/or the Vi atom.

And proceeds from sales going directly to Virtrium's budget!

I actually did these designs before the sale to VI, and they aren't officially endorsed by anyone. The proceeds go to me, not to Virtrium. That's why I think Virtrium should set up an official shop.

About copyright: the dragon designs are derivative works. To quote from the US Copyright office website:

A “derivative work,” that is, a work that is based on (or derived from) one or more already existing works, is copyrightable if it includes what the copyright law calls an “original work of authorship.” Derivative works, also known as “new versions,” include such works as translations, musical arrangements, dramatizations, fictionalizations, art reproductions, and condensations. Any work in which the editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship is a derivative work or new version.
    Virtrium owns the dragon model & the textures, which are part of the game software. The hatchie in my designs is a heavilly modified and altered image based off of a few different screen shots. Those modifications and alterations, in conjunction with the layout, presentation, and captions, make these designs original works of authorship.

That doesn't mean I won't ask for permission to base a design off a screen shot in the future, as a matter of courtesy if nothing else. ;-)
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I love the t-shirt design!

My 2 yr old goes "Dragon! Rawr" in such a sweet voice.. then she really growls the Roar!!!

Toddler t-shirts would rock! (start em young)

and I'd wear some of them t-shirts myself.. Klaus- do they sell well? (just curious, I know it's not my business, but.. wow...)
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    I'd wear some of them t-shirts myself.. Klaus- do they sell well?
    The 'Murloc Stew' design is the most popular, making up about half our total sales. The other designs, dragons included, make up the rest.

I guess people just like murlocs.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

You are walking a fine line LO as there may be enough similarities, such as the chest scale, to warrant some royalty to VI. I'd suggest getting their written permission before receiving a written letter from them. I'm sure you are aware of past actions Starbucks, Microsoft, and others took for similarities to their name or products.

Back on topic. A first step is for VI to get more noticed on the gaming sites, like mmorpg.com with interviews, press releases, etc. Word of mouth.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Oh I would love to buy T-shirts, mugs, stickers or whatever goodies you'd sell, so I can only agree with C'gan, please make an official store !

hhmm- and those big stickers (don`t know how they`re called) for the car!!!

How about only a dragon's head showing with a toothy grin saying something like "Must you look so tasty" or something to that effect

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're looking into merchandise options and are aware of LaughingOtter's CafePress store.

Please give us a bit of time to work this out.

Thank you,

Horizons CS

Lol, I love your bumper sticker. Anyways, I was actually thinking the same, having a store for t shirts and mugs and stuff the day after the game sprung to life again (Lets face it, when work is slow 50% of the day, I like to exercise my mind). Mabey you can have something where the community can submit designs to the shop.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

love the 'can't stand the heat' tee....

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're looking into merchandise options and are aware of LaughingOtter's CafePress store.

is this approval or disapproval of lo's shop?

rest assured i will totally buy something "official" to indicate to the world my support and love of horizons.
    surely there is room for both, tho?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS

Please give us a bit of time to work this out.

Thank you,

Horizons CS
    Many thanks for looking into this as an alternative funding route.

*jitters excitedly for his new winter hoodie emblazoned with Horizons for winter*

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    I actually did these designs before the sale to VI, and they aren't officially endorsed by anyone. The proceeds go to me, not to Virtrium. That's why I think Virtrium should set up an official shop.

About copyright: the dragon designs are derivative works. To quote from the US Copyright office website:

Virtrium owns the dragon model & the textures, which are part of the game software. The hatchie in my designs is a heavilly modified and altered image based off of a few different screen shots. Those modifications and alterations, in conjunction with the layout, presentation, and captions, make these designs original works of authorship.

That doesn't mean I won't ask for permission to base a design off a screen shot in the future, as a matter of courtesy if nothing else. ;-)
    Ah, but then there is the matter of "Substantial similarity as judged by a group of peers". That is, if enough people can look at an artwork and say "Hey, that is from 'such and such'" then in a court it can be deemed a legitimate infringement. I.E. If someone took one of my drawings, ran some Photoshop filters on it, then started selling it- and enough people agreed that it still looked like my drawing- I could reasonably take them to court and would have a good chance of winning. Regrettably I am all too experienced in this. :/

Though it seems that VI doesn't mind in this case, it's a good thing to keep in mind for future endeavors.

Thread Information