Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Wars

Default Re: Dragon Wars

I've heard that Anne McCaffrey is very protective of her world, but wouldn't you be too if you put that much work into it like she did?
    Anne became protective after:

- Out of nowhere and without any prior notice MUDs and other interactive games openly using "her" books characters and plot line were asking for paid subscriptions. Explicitly leveraging on the Pern brand to sell more.

This pissed her off a lot and had her attorneys sue them and close a lot of those sites / games.

- Out of nowhere and without any notice authors drawing Pern's worlds landscapes, characters and dragons and selling them for profit and citing the Pern names.

This elicited a widespread take of action and many who marginally "touched" the argoment including Dreslough went into the storm despite they were not the source / cause of her sueing.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Dragonheart was instantly my favourite movie ever made. I still have it on VHS. I wish I could watch it again, its about the only movie I can watch over and over and over. It doesn't really get old to me and I'm sure I can quote the entire movie.

Eragon, I liked that movie too. Didn't follow the books, but I really liked it for what it was. I wish it could have been much longer though, like the 3 hour movies. Then they could have put in the Twins and Saphira growing up.

Anybody know if the third book is almost done? I haven't bothered to check websites lately.
    __________________________________________________ __________

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    I actually quite liked Reign of Fire Yes I would have liked to see more dragons, but I was quite happy drooling over Christian Bale

I loved the dragon in Dragonheart.. and it lead to my best friend at the time saying (due to the voiceover) she would still sleep with Sean Connery even if he was 60 feet long and scaly
    yes, it is true i am the cheese queen, but i loved reign of fire and dragonheart. reign of fire had BOTH christian bale AND matthew mcconaghy....what is not to love!!!!!
    and i don't care what age he is, i would drink sean connery's bathwater....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Redacre View Post
    i REALLY liked Reign of Fire up until the end when..........

*** SPOILER ALERT ****

McConaughey's (or however you spell it) character died.

i thought that was pretty weak. but the rest of the movie was pretty kickass.

Go Kentucky Irregulars!
    me and you, henry...i am more and more convinced we are soul mates.....

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    I disagree with your chronology, C´gan.^^
    But that does not really matter, cause everyone who read them all- might suggest his/her own chronology
    Anyway it`s an awesome epic, and a MUST for all those who love dragons, or want to learn about them.
    lol, i have the original chronology......i was reading the first books when they came out.....still have my original copies!!!!
    i wish we could get firelizards as shoulder pets - i want a green one so it looks like an emerald necklace when it wraps its tail around my neck....

gosh having read nothing but fantasy series for 10 years, I'd have to have kept a compiled list of all of them to even begin to remember how many of those related to dragons.

Off the top of my head though - hands down one of the *best* series ever written involving intelligent dragons are Melanie Rawn's (I know there are 2 trilogies, possible 3...). So if you've not read those, a must read.

I've read all the Pern - I enjoy them - but they aren't my favorite by a long shot - esp. after seeing her in several panels and hearing her concepts on her dragons - just not my favorite "vision" . And yes, I continue to read the "new" ones by her Son - they are just as good as the originals IMO.

In any case, I'm goign to see Dragon Wars this weekend. Action ******** with Dragons. Sounds good enough for me. Who needs a plot with dragons in the movie?

(in case none of you are familir with my classes of "********", every type of movie can be that genre's version of "********" - it just has to have no real purpose other than gratuitus - whatever. So for example - Rambo is "action ********" - other's I've heard call them "popcorn" movies - as in as long as you have the brain of a box of popcorn you can enjoy them. I've also got marital arts ********, horror "********", etc. So I'm hoping this movie is just gratuitus dragon action ******** and that's all I'm looking for)

(and for the record honestly I liked the D&D movie better than the Eragorn movie - so that should tell you how *nice* I think THAT movie was lol).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Having read the Eragon books and seen the movie, all I can say is, hmmmmm.

I'm not going to comment on book vs. movie. It's not fair to either side who like one over the other.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I'll have to remember to get the second Eragon book one of these days...Also Tamiere looks really intersting things to hunt down on my next payday I'll have to wait till then to check out Dragon Wars too

All I'll tell you about the second Eragon book is "Surprise! Look who's back! Oh, and GUESS WHAT!"

Now, if only they could've put some of THAT in the movie.

I'll give you this hint: Morzan and Selena were married. You know this. Maybe you saw it coming, maybe not.

SPOILERS BELOW

hehehe, teh "oh guess what" was soo friggen obvious from the moment murtaugh tells his story. everywhere in his history that selena disappears, she appears in eragon's history. a braindead ferret could make that connection.

Ok, who's seen it and what'd you think?

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Ok, who's seen it and what'd you think?
    seconded. is it worth seeing?

didn't get horribly good reviews around here...

it was...horrid.

If you thought D&D was bad, you will think this movie is the worst movie you've ever seen.

I personally still rated battlefield Earth worse than this movie - but the people who went with me thought htis one was the new "worst movie ever" rank - where BE held it before.

I personally was entertained by the D&D movie, had some few chuckles, yea it was simple, but I laughed and had fun.

THis was...barely entertaining. Acting horrid. Plot horrid. EDITING horrid. It was as someone said to me "power rangers" class.

And realy it needed to be called "Mega snake wars".

There's about mmm..5 minutes of raptor sized dragons in the first 20 minutes of hte movie, and then about an hour of no action *)$&# plot and acting, and then the last 20 minutes which is the fighting you see in the preview. Flying raptor size dragons taking on black hawk helicopters, rhino-saur creatures and bad guys ont eh group fighting the army, and giant evil megasnake.

Last 10 minutes is actually the only good part of ht emovie - where you actually get to see a chinese dragon (*last 3 minutes*).

So my advice is to d/l the last 20 minutes of hte movie, and if you only care to see a chinese dragon just watch the last five minutes.

There is no dragon war. T here is no dragons fighting each other. Its Mega Snake and followers vs. LA and then two mega snakes for about 3 minutes, and then a chinese dragon for about 3 minutes.

I was expecting bad acting and not so great plot - but this was worse than I expected.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Thanks for the review Frith, saved me 10 euro's.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Here's what I saw. See how it correlates with Frith-Rae.
    About half the time the military (it's NOT the US military. There are NO FLAGS) is involved, they start shooting at NOTHING. When they line up in the streets, there are no barricades or anything. They literally LINE UP without cover and attack at, well, imagine where the enemy is and shoot. They send a bunch of infantry into a cave to attack big bad snakey and the first sight of the thing, they run away before firing a shot and when they DO finally turn and fire, well, aim for the far wall of the cave entrance and hope it gets caught in a ricochet because it's not there!

Isn't it funny how a head on attack by a flying minidrac can take down an Apache, but one that flips over and clings underneath the belly of an Apache doesn't weigh it down at all?

The 50 cal rounds of an Apache can't take down a minidrac, but yet a 35mil handgun (I think that was what it was) shot THROUGH bulletproof glass COULD?

How could the bad snake always know where the girl was up until about a 30 foot radius and then get distracted by rooting through a building while she scampers off on foot? And where was the good one in all this?

And if all this good snake stuff fit, why did said snake only have tears in it's eyes at the very end instead of having some sort of way of bringing the girl back to life?

Sounds like I'll be giving Dragon Wars a miss - not that I can find it showing at any cinemas near me. Looks like they had a good reason to change it to D-Wars - there's no Dragons in it

I'd certainly recommend the first Temeraire book. The second I found somewhat heavier going. I started on the third, but I had a harder and harder time keeping reading. Maybe I need to give it another go, but LotRO has me re-reading those books right now.

The latest Pern books have been a somewhat mixed bag. Dragon's Kin was fairly decent (apart from the rather important knowledge gained about whers, that mysteriously gets lost at some point), but finding out that the main character from that title has changed direction completely at the start of Dragon's Blood didn't sit right with me. Having all these major events in one Fall is rather annoying as well - ok, the Fall the series started in (9th?) has had plenty of major stuff, but it's also fundamentally altered the planet. The events from the latest books should have had similar effects, but haven't.

As for Eragon, I quite like the series. It's rather clichéd and some of the dialogue is ripped straight from other fantasy work, but it flows well and is entertaining. I'm looking forward to the last novel. Hope it's out soon...

If you can find it, get hold of a compilation of short stories called "The Ultimate Dragon" - all the stories involve a dragon somewhere (obviously), either as a main character or just in passing. Some of the dragons are good, some are evil, and one just wants the bard to stop singing. Some of the stories are excellent, and deserve a full novel.

Antonath

C'gan - you could have at least given a spoiler warning!! LOL

ok...SPOILER WARNING though c'gan already said it...(but I have a few more)

why did said snake only have tears in it's eyes at the very end instead of having some sort of way of bringing the girl back to life?
    Said snake wasn't a snake anymore remember - it was a dragon. Why it couldnt' rez anyone well - that's the only question the movie gave you . Actually to me that was a better ending than rezzing her - more true fairy tale like (which at the beginning it seemed like it would be more of a modern fairy tale type than what it was which was nothing).

The big question is - How the HECK does that guy get back home?! I'd have been all like "um..HELLO??? ANYONE??? there a PHONE around here?? Taxi?? Um...crap..."

I think I gave up on the movie when the army chased the bad snake into the cave, came runing back out, and there were dead soldiers and burning helicopters outside - in the space of like 2 minutes - and all you could go was "um..wth??"

That's when it crossed over into Power Ranger Land .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I had a friend call me Sunday night after seeing it with a mutual friend. Both of them agreed that if one or the other had mentioned getting up and walking out after the bad kung-fu movie rip off skipping across water thingie, they'd've done it.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I too will be giving Dragon Wars a pass- yuck.

I loved Dragonheart! <3 <3
    I also loved Flight of Dragons. C'mon 80s kids, someone out there has to have seen it! I watched it 2-3 times daily every day as a kid. Ahhh memories!
    Eragon... couldn't stomach the books. I tried, and couldn't do it. The movie was pretty terrible. Saphira was pretty eye candy though.
    D&D made me cringe pretty much the whole time. I watched it once, and that was enough. ;}

I'm a Dragon nuttcase, so I've read a lot of dragon books. I don't like the Pern books.. just didn't like them at all. I tried, but they aren't my thing.
    Other dragon books... I've read a bunch, not many stick out as 'spectacular' in my mind. I really enjoyed "Song in the Silence" until the ending- it made me cry, and then only a few pages later I got so angry I nearly didn't finish it. I'm such a dragon nerd, anyone that has read it knows why. ;} "Dragon's Domain" was okay too, I'd probably read it again.

I gotta say, my favorite Dragon books to date are the "Age of Fire" series by e.e. Knight. I'd never heard of them, a lot of people haven't- the books don't get a lot of advertising, but they're great. I have a feeling they'd appeal to a lot of the people here because they are written in the dragon's point of view. No 'fluffy sparkly' fantasy, but a very realistic look at the way a dragon may live- and they aren't portrayed as bad guys. The writing style is very good and I really enjoy reading them.
    Dragon Champion is the first in the series (amazon link). Well worth a read if you are a dragon nut.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Thread Information