Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Appreciation Program Discussion

Default Military Appreciation Program Discussion

Thread for discussing Military Appreciation Program.

Horizons CS

Default Re: Military Appreciation Program Discussion

I think it should be extended to all military personnel globally. Identifiying them however might be a little more difficult.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Agree .. be hard as other country don't offer an email account like the ".mil". If I still be in the army and stuck in Afghanistan or Irak doing side jobs for the US military, I would feel discriminated.
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl View Post
    I think it should be extended to all military personnel globally. Identifiying them however might be a little more difficult.
    Its fairly easy to ask for confirmation of an individual's proof of service. Copy of a paystub, military number, BFPO, APO address, ect.

But agreed, being that my other half is in the UK military and I myself am an American living in the military life I don't see why it isn't possible. I seem to recall it was open to more than just US military under previous owners but hey, support your troops I guess. If that means a US based business supports US troops, well no worries. I just wish our end of the pond over here in Europe could do as much for thier own respective serving members.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Personally, it should be removed.
    Vitrium in looking for all the money they can get and thus raising their cost. They should also cut in the fat and get rid of useless program such as this.
    The military don't deserve special favor. There's plenty of other group that would deserve it more than them.

I don't see why me or any other player would have to pay (yes, since the credit given to them will have to be taken out of somewhere else to balance the books) because some guy or gal joined because 'they were good at counter strike and wanted to prove themselves (don't laugh, someone DID tell me that when wanting to join).

So drop the program and use the money to make horizons better, not to please some GI Joe who dropped bombs on a Canadian squad by mistake who play horizons during his "Trauma" leave...

Or if Vitrium have plenty of money to waste, extend the program to the policeman, who 'serve and protect', the firefighter who 'risk' their lives everyday in 'devastating', the gas boy who face everyday the fires of some street gangs, the software developers who face the wrath and angst of every old and new customer... (seriously, the military don't deserve gifts as most of everyone else because they decided to play, as in theatric play, heroes.)
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

All I can say not being in any of the other jobs you suggested, but being ex-military, well should say all that I will say, I take it you have never been in the military and put up with the hardships they have to put up with. Believe me it is no cake walk and I for one say Thank You VI and Thank You to those that have chosen to to serve our Country.

Edit: Well guess there is one other thing I need to say. The reason I think VI does this is because the military people do not have a choice when they are deployed with out their family for long term duties. The others if they are sent away, which I would think would not be often, would not be for nearly as long.

VI, your the business owners. How do other MMO's deal with military personell?

I think it's great to provide at least a hefty discount for current and ex-military, or perhaps a perk. But in the end, it's your business and you have to look at the bottom line.

Vitrium in looking for all the money they can get and thus raising their cost. They should also cut in the fat and get rid of useless program such as this.
    The military don't deserve special favor. There's plenty of other group that would deserve it more than them.
    It's a PR move and the amount of people actually affected by it minimal at best.
    This game needs money but needs fresh blood even more.
    You know, I'd go on Order at once (if my character is restored off Unity) but I won't.
    Why? Because I HATE to see 20 people online. I love alive servers, hundreds of players scouring around, buying, selling, chatting.
    Having 5-10 more faces to know will just do fine.

Finally, I find disturbing how lowly you consider those who may spend their time in whatever "pointless" activities but at any given day, may be called to serve their country and die for it.

Be it because Bush is a fool or not, be it a badly driven war or not (and it's just the last of many others) it's still some 30k people who died to try make another 11 September less possible. How many software developers (I am one myself) reprimanded by stupid customers did die in the last 4 years?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade View Post

I don't see why me or any other player would have to pay (yes, since the credit given to them will have to be taken out of somewhere else to balance the books) because some guy or gal joined because 'they were good at counter strike and wanted to prove themselves (don't laugh, someone DID tell me that when wanting to join).

So drop the program and use the money to make horizons better, not to please some GI Joe who dropped bombs on a Canadian squad by mistake who play horizons during his "Trauma" leave...

Or if Vitrium have plenty of money to waste, extend the program to the policeman, who 'serve and protect', the firefighter who 'risk' their lives everyday in 'devastating', the gas boy who face everyday the fires of some street gangs, the software developers who face the wrath and angst of every old and new customer... (seriously, the military don't deserve gifts as most of everyone else because they decided to play, as in theatric play, heroes.)
    Kind of harsh, did someone from the U.S. military @#$@#%! in your wheaties?

I understand your point about other civil servents, such as police and firefighters. But at the same time, usually those individulas aren't seperated from their families for months at a time. Nor are they usually subjected to the harsh conditions, that can occur on a daily basis. Obviously not everyone deals with that, but it's a reality for a great number of people.

I respect anyone in that type of work, people willing to defend our country. I would hope you could prove your point without comments about trama leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayth View Post
    I respect anyone in that type of work, people willing to defend our country.

and this is my point. Supporting the US military is NOT supporting people defending *MY* country.. If it applies to the US, why not apply it worldwide.. however I guess you could then be supporting people who are actually fighting each other..

It's up to Virtrium about company policies. As a player, I don't feel I have any right to dictate WHO they offer special deals to (only what I'd like to see happen with the game, and then it's only a suggestion).
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Supporting the US military is NOT supporting people defending *MY* country..
    Well, it's an US product off an US company.

A private company, hence they have not to justify any decision to anyone.

Finally, for the simple fact US military is keeping terrorists hands well busy in Middle East instead of letting them scour happily and in full force everywhere in the world indirectly - yet effectively - support my and your countries and many others.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

My feeling is, expand it. Each and every country out there with a proper military will have some method of showing that they are, indeed, military members.

More than just the U.S. is bogged down in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan and the Middle East. Let them share in the benefits as well.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Every time this program is mentioned there are many folks that vi against the program because they are against the war in Iraq/Afghanistan. They are also upset because they feel they are being left out of something that, because of they aren't in the US military, they can't have. This truly frustrates me because, while I like to take advantage of benefits like these when I can, I do not fall into the benefit category all the time. This program, originally introduced by David Bowman, is not dissimilar to other programs given to folks in their own countries by various individual businesses.

When I think of this program I think of other programs that are provided to Senior Citizens, Police, and, depending on where you live, Clergy. How many of you have complained about restaurants giving Senior Citizen discounts.. or complain about the local Police getting free coffee at the local 7-11 (or whatever convenience store), or in my case... when I was a doing clergy work for about 2 years regularly got either free food or discounts up to 50% at McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, and various others.. Would you have thrown a fit, as you are now doing, over such programs provided, many of which are in your local neighborhoods? I would think not.

There are many programs that are provided for soldiers, when they can take advantage of them, like when I went to Paramounts Great America in early July... We, along with any person serving the people (Police, Firefighters, etc) to get tickets for up to 4 people at a 60% discount... Several other places... like Disney for instance.. has a resort that only Military members can stay in at a rate based on your military income level... did you know that...

Personally, I have currently 2 paid subs for the game... Before EII/PME/whatever... took over the game, I had 2 paid subs.. and 1 free sub, via the military program. I rarely used the 3rd login that was provided, but was greatful for it when I needed it. I usually used to show other folks what the game was like to try to get more people into the game. Do I feel that the military program should provide Free accts.. or just discounted accounts?? well that is up for VI to decide. Personally.. I'm hurtin payin the new prices for subs... So.. if it isn't a free one, I won't be able to take advantage of it, but if it were free sign me up.

It is unfortunate that it is not easy for folks to tell if you are in a foreign governments military... it would be nice if it were easy to determine so that more folks could take advantage of this. Either way the decision is made.. I will still have my 2 paid subs.. and still support the game.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I support the program!

If my son was in any army anywhere on this planet,
    I would be glad to know that he has a portal to annother world- and forget Rl for some minutes/hours ( And perhaps meet him there).

All sons and daughters-deserve that!!

Our kids in the army are not the politicians!

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Finally, for the simple fact US military is keeping terrorists hands well busy in Middle East instead of letting them scour happily and in full force everywhere in the world indirectly - yet effectively - support my and your countries and many others.
    Uhm, you know, not one thing done by western military for the past 10 years has done anything to curb terrorism. Quite the opposite, hatred towards the west is on the rampage and growing, and terrorist organizations are getting more recruits than ever.
    As for military program; if u have to support someone, I'd like more to see it for, say, doctors. U know, the ones that go around the globe on a volountary basis, and help people that are the victim of the collateral damage that follows our (western) foreign policies...

Good program. Not sure if it's adviseable right now as y'all are broke.

This isn't about terrorism, this is about a group of people who put their lives on the line for pennies a day, spend long periods of time away from friends and love ones and are doing a pretty thankless job.

If you think you can afford it go for it!
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Uhm, you know, not one thing done by western military for the past 10 years has done anything to curb terrorism. Quite the opposite, hatred towards the west is on the rampage and growing, and terrorist organizations are getting more recruits than ever.
    As for military program; if u have to support someone, I'd like more to see it for, say, doctors. U know, the ones that go around the globe on a volountary basis, and help people that are the victim of the collateral damage that follows our (western) foreign policies...

What an asinine thing to say.

Can a moderator shut this thread down before more bashing of my country and our military men/women is allowed?
    Bite the Kitty!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniade View Post

You have got to be kidding me?!!?

Take your 85lb butt outside your mom's basement, find a US military man/woman and say that crap to his/her face.
    Bite the Kitty!!

:: sighs :: I was in the US military, nearly 4 years in the US Navy. the MAP is a worthwhile program for <b><ul>some</b></ul> in the military. While some in the military would be deserving of the program due to separation and hardships and the intent behind VI's efforts, there are still many enjoying all sorts of federal benefits at other bases and state side. Those in the military, or understanding of all of their allowances and tax benefits (state and federal) and base priviledges and other benefits and retirement and other discounts (like the above Yellow Ribbon campaign)?

There are two bottom lines. People voluntarily joined the US military with all of its plusses and minuses (single, married, or got married). And VI needs the funds for Horizons to make it past year 3 and into year 4 (and more).

And, and, as another indicated, what about the other groups favored by society? Senior citizens, 9/11 victims, Katrina victims? Where does it end?

So I'd suggest VI take a bit more effort and recognize the truely deserving of the military (US and other countries), periodic verifications (as still part of the intended group), and perhaps two levels of discounts (50% and 75%, depending).
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

I am for the military program. Despite their bonuses etc, it allows them to log into Horizons, and play the game with their family members and friends. Its worth every penny on my back to support them.

Thread Information