Thread: Time to come back?

Default Time to come back?

I have reinstalled Horizons and am thinking about giving it another try. I played from release up to a a couple years ago (maybe a bit longer - too many games to remember) and have a few questions. I have been browsing the forums a bit and if they were answered, I have missed them.

1. Where is all the equipment? I assume the community has dropped off a bit but I can't find anything on the consigners. I logged in with my main character (level 65 cleric/3? spiritist) and the hammer I was using can no longer be equipped (no idea, looks like I meet the specs but says I dont) and when I go to buy one, the only thing I can find is one club that is 10 levels lower than I. Is it just that everyone is too high and I won't have much chance of getting anything my level without commissioning a crafter to make it special?

2. Where are the mobs? I have seen this posted but haven't seen an actual response other than "stand around a bit and they might show up". I used to hunt in the battlefield outside of the dwarven town (been too long to remember names). Now, that is all full of houses with the occasional level 80 mob (a bit tough for my level 55 weapon). I tried going to the werewolves south of the battlefield. Again, houses with no mobs to find. Tried the golems south of Tanzoon. Now just wolves. Pretty much all I have found for fighting are either level 75+ mobs (ents, bugs, or undead) and level 40 wolves (not much challenge there). Are mid level characters just overly restricted to what they can fight now?

3. Dungeons? One of my biggest complaints was the lack of dungeons. I see in the FAQ that there are "underground adventure areas". Where are these and what level? Are these more for the upper level characters and do you need groups to do them (not much luck finding anyone running around - seen maybe 5 other people in the several hours I have run around).

4. Pathfinding fixed? Before, mobs would basically run straight to you, no matter what was in between you and them. Has that changed? Can you use the terrain or obsticles strategically?

5. Housing. Is there a benefit for housing? My friends and I worked on our plots but bascially it was for storage (silos - one item to boot), workshops (not much use in my opinion without storage) and consigners. Can you actually put stuff in your houses? Can you decorate?

6. Quests? A new quest or two would be released with the patch. Everyone runs through it rather quickly right after it is released and then wait for a month or two for the next one. Is there a good amount of content now? Any diverse and interesting quests?

7. Bipeds worth it? I have a small dragon but my main characters are bipeds. I see a lot of posting about dragons, lairs, etc. Has this turned more into a "dragons are king" game so if you try playing a biped, you are really limiting yourself to what you can do?

8. Is there a place where I can find all this info that I haven't seen? I tried reading teh FAQ and the occasional post but can't find a good spot that list the "Welcome back to Horizons, here is what has changed" posts.

Ok, that was rather lengthy. Thanks for the time and if you have any insight, please help me make my decision.

Default Re: Time to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtron View Post
    I have reinstalled Horizons and am thinking about giving it another try. I played from release up to a a couple years ago (maybe a bit longer - too many games to remember) and have a few questions. I have been browsing the forums a bit and if they were answered, I have missed them.

1. Where is all the equipment? I assume the community has dropped off a bit but I can't find anything on the consigners. I logged in with my main character (level 65 cleric/3? spiritist) and the hammer I was using can no longer be equipped (no idea, looks like I meet the specs but says I dont) and when I go to buy one, the only thing I can find is one club that is 10 levels lower than I. Is it just that everyone is too high and I won't have much chance of getting anything my level without commissioning a crafter to make it special?

2. Where are the mobs? I have seen this posted but haven't seen an actual response other than "stand around a bit and they might show up". I used to hunt in the battlefield outside of the dwarven town (been too long to remember names). Now, that is all full of houses with the occasional level 80 mob (a bit tough for my level 55 weapon). I tried going to the werewolves south of the battlefield. Again, houses with no mobs to find. Tried the golems south of Tanzoon. Now just wolves. Pretty much all I have found for fighting are either level 75+ mobs (ents, bugs, or undead) and level 40 wolves (not much challenge there). Are mid level characters just overly restricted to what they can fight now?

3. Dungeons? One of my biggest complaints was the lack of dungeons. I see in the FAQ that there are "underground adventure areas". Where are these and what level? Are these more for the upper level characters and do you need groups to do them (not much luck finding anyone running around - seen maybe 5 other people in the several hours I have run around).

4. Pathfinding fixed? Before, mobs would basically run straight to you, no matter what was in between you and them. Has that changed? Can you use the terrain or obsticles strategically?

5. Housing. Is there a benefit for housing? My friends and I worked on our plots but bascially it was for storage (silos - one item to boot), workshops (not much use in my opinion without storage) and consigners. Can you actually put stuff in your houses? Can you decorate?

6. Quests? A new quest or two would be released with the patch. Everyone runs through it rather quickly right after it is released and then wait for a month or two for the next one. Is there a good amount of content now? Any diverse and interesting quests?

7. Bipeds worth it? I have a small dragon but my main characters are bipeds. I see a lot of posting about dragons, lairs, etc. Has this turned more into a "dragons are king" game so if you try playing a biped, you are really limiting yourself to what you can do?

8. Is there a place where I can find all this info that I haven't seen? I tried reading teh FAQ and the occasional post but can't find a good spot that list the "Welcome back to Horizons, here is what has changed" posts.

Ok, that was rather lengthy. Thanks for the time and if you have any insight, please help me make my decision.
    Well, Virtrium just took over (again, as they are old Tulga devs) and they've got a new client on test, with tons of changes upcoming that are great. You haven't missed anything the last year+, since nothing really happened to note.

EI took over (the last company to have Horizons), shut down Blight, didn't patch anything, never said anything to the community and in the end they kepted billing people for lots of money while they no longer were incharge of Horizons. So.

Now we're at present, Virtrium is working hard to pump some life back into this game and lift the spirits of the broken-hearted. They only just dug into fixing things again, and now they're going to slowly start revamping the adventure classes. I suggest looking over at Blight Test-notes for more info. And Welcome back!
    __________________________________________________ __________

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtron

Only way of getting other than very low level is by having a crafter make it or hope someone might be selling what you're looking for.

There are mobs of all levels around. Some are very low density spawns, some are medium density.

Not sure what FAQ you saw, but I am unaware of any dungeons, unless they put some in on Blight.

It is the same.

Houses, tents, guildhouses can store a certain amount of items/bulk. Libraries can store items, but not very much bulk. There should be a list of structures and what they do somewhere from the main site.

ROP and AROP for dragons are fully developed, as are the ability quests for dragons. Biped quests seem to drop off around level 20, although there are some other quests scattered around. There should be a thread somewhere that goes through available quests.

Depends on what you like to see in game, if you like questing, then dragons are probably the way to go.

Did you play premerge? If so that is why. All the mobs were moved around into a more tier system. WEst being lower level as you head easter generly the levels go up. Also they had to change the way mobs appear so that it takes a set amount of time after a person appears in an area to get mobs to spawn.

There was one in works, I am not sure of its priority but assume for right now client and other issues are of higher priority.

Nope the same, that will come with client fixes in time.

They have reworked the start island and the low level area adding a lot of quest. I think the plan had been to do low then high then back to low again , but with what has happened the priorities are unknown currently

Depends on what you want to play and how many classes you would like to play. Dragons have more "Quest" but 90 % of them are kill X of X type quest. Dragons are not king but yes they are a big draw. But we only have 3 classes, 2 of which are craft classes vs 20+ that a single biped could level.

Not really has over the last year nothing has changed due to EI EI OH/PMI/whoever they call them selves today. I am not sure when you left so know not what to tell you changed.

Terrain and spawns changed a great deal during the great server merge. At level 65 you want to be fighting the tier 4 mobs around Kirasanct - topaz golems, cobalt golems, etc. or head over to Dralk for the Fire Beetles and other fire friends.

Ask in the marketplace channel for someone who can make you a weapon for level 65. Ditto for armor. The players who have stuck around for years are all high level crafters and can make anything, especially if you have the raw materials. As a 65 Cleric you can get some nice armor and jewelery made if you ask politely. Easier if you can supply (some) raw materials.

Plots are good for storage (housing or silos) and better crafting buildings (which are now tiered and can give a nice crafting bonus). Dragons can build lairs now.

A lot of low level quest content was added, but not much on the higher level end. Go to Lesser Aradoth (island with Sslanis and Kion towns) for level 10-20 questing.

Bipeds can multiclass into far, far, more craft and adventure schools than dragons. The reason you see a lot of dragons is because Horizons is the only game in town for being a way cool dragon character. Biped is just fine in HZ, it's just that everyone who wanted to play a dragon gravitated here, so the draggy population is high.

Give it a whirl. If you are on Chaos, give Ingo a holler when you see me and I'll be glad to help you out with crafted stuff.
    Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

As will I.

Any armor, weapon, jewelery, or cargo gear you need I will make you free of charge.

You supply the teching components and I can tech it any way you like.

gimme a shout some times and I'll happily help.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Thread Information