Thread: Istaria Storyline: Brushing off the Cobwebs

Default Istaria Storyline: Brushing off the Cobwebs

Interestingly, I see a lot of discussion about mechanics, but I haven't seen a thread which discusses possibly moving the timeline/storyline of Istaria itself forward. (yet, forgive me if I am repeating a former thread, but I did search first). If you're the type with a weak constitition (allergic to discussions of new content or posts over five hundred characters), flee. Flee now while you can!

Horizons is a very niche game. I won't even bother trying to compare it to other games because, quite simply, it isn't. The game has essentially been drifting in limbo for a year, and yet people still remain. Some would call that loyalty. Others may call it a habit. Yet, I came back to the game from years' absence, and I note that others are doing the same. However, after my second or third week ingame, I found myself wondering why I was logging in. Surely, there isn't that much to do. Work on another abandoned site no one will ever see or visit, grind up yet another crafter for items because I can't find anything I need at a decent price. Wander around saying not a whole lot to anyone because no one seems to be talking in anything but guildchat. The channels are that same sort of "MSN feeling" to them. It's friendly, but in that "we're just passing time" sort of way.

I see a lot of discussion about the lore, mostly dealing with "interpretation" rather than what was actually written. It did get me delving into the lore from Back in the Day to refresh my memory, and I found myself again tantalised and eager to read all the lore I could find, with the enthusiasm I had when I first heard of this game in beta; all the little tidbits and hints which we used to postulate over in the community channels and in the squares for sometimes nearly hours at a stretch. It brought back some rather good memories. I remember freeing the Satyrs. I remember reclaiming the homelands of the elves. I remember getting those first dragons to adult status (even though the AROP didn't technically exist, and didn't until a few months later). I remember that buzz and excitement of the first attack of the Withering Aegis. Yes, so there was still the grind, still the crafting this and dragging-in-a-cargo that and heal and res, heal and res with total utter chaos and trying to figure out which way was which, but the main thing I remember was the sense of urgency, of taking every and any offer of help from whoever gave it, or forming up for a resources run with total strangers.

And then I felt strangely deflated...where is that now? Where is the urgency, the drive to get the Aegis halted before it reaches Dalimond's walls? What is Istaria's future now that the Aegis seems to be long gone? Is it still a game, a world, or is it just a habit?

Yes, I know the arguments about "fix what's broken"; mostly this comes down to mechanics. But I don't play for mechanics. I'm a roleplayer, I'm a storyteller, and that's the only reason I play. The game is still badly broken and there's a lot that needs fixing, but I'm still playing it, because I'm hoping for the story. Right now, there isn't one; the well is dry. I could make something up - and invariably many a person already has - but why, when there's so much there about Istaria, so much there which could be used to give us a purpose WHILE what is broken is being fixed, to give new players something to look forward to and get involved in? Indeed, there's no need to create new content; the content is all there, in the lore - half finished histories and hints to potentially catastrophic futures, all waiting to be put into motion...just waiting for everyone to take sides, to get involved or to resist, to put their shoulders to the stone collectively and push, or to pull.

I suggest it's time for Istaria to dig into its lore and come up with a bit of storyline. I'm unaware what Vit has planned, but I don't see why any community-created tale couldn't tie in. There's no need for it to warrant the introduction of a new race, but perhaps it could pave the way for new events for the future.

Just a few examples which I am quoting directly from the Lore of Istaria:

• It is said that either under the icy bedrock of Kirasanct, or perhaps in a nearby cavern, lays(sic) a dormant portal to the Realm of Twilight. It is rumored that before the onset of the Lament, the Fiends were actively trying to re-engage the portal, creating a gateway between the Prime and the Realm of Twilight, where it is said that the Fiend's patron deity, Niatha Moraven, dwells. The Fiends have never made a secret of their desire to strengthen the connection they have with their chosen goddess; in fact, the Fiends chose to found Kirasanct over a source of potent magical essence in the hopes that it would fuel their rituals and sorceries to achieve said goals.

• The decision of the Withered Aegis to bypass the Dryads, however, was brought on by the Dryad’s own manipulations of the magic that defines the laws of reality upon the Prime. The Dryads, being the masters of magic, had found a way to supplant mirrored areas of other extra-planar realms on the Prime, and vice versa. This allowed them to, in essence, remove their city of Palmyra and the vicinity from the Prime and replace it with a linked counterpart in another realm.

• The home of the Satyr is an elegant city along the shores of eastern Aradoth known as Bachan, in honor of their chosen deity. While Bachan has not been visited in many years by anyone from western Aradoth, history tells of a city where detail and elegance of architecture rule the day. The Satyr are thought to be excellent builders, as the elegance of their city was proof of such. Detailed accounts of the Satyr’s magnificent use of wood for most of their structures is covered in texts dating back hundreds of years. The structures of Bachan were said to be made of a wood that was specially treated with magic essence, giving the wood a resiliency like that of steel. The Satyr made expert use of other resources as well, dedicating their structures to their own pursuits. The city was thought to have multiple temples to Bachanatus as well as a large and ornate amphitheatre that dominated the center of the city.

The above is but a small tidbit of what could be pressed into service for potential new stories and goals -actually Istaria is full of things which had so much potential but then seemed to fall into disuse; artifacts, the whole of Tazoon - a beautiful but completely abandoned city, but the same could be said of all the cities of Istaria. The beauty about creating some new lore, some new event we can sink our teeth into is it wouldn't necessarily need to happen overnight - the building of the tunnel for the Dryads took months, and each few patches, we got a bit more story leaked down, but it was enough to keep everyone hyped up and postulating all that time.

But even these small bits I've listed above offer a considerable amount of opportunity; just getting to either the old Satyr lands or the Dryad's prime would take a considerable amount of effort, and no one said it would have to be an easy task - there will undoubtedly be plenty of hardships along the way. The delving into the planet's core to find the Fiend's Lady in and of itself would be rather charged from not only a physical gathering/preparation period but also from a rather moralistic ground; no one knows whether the Fiend's Goddess is benevolent, including the fiends. After the destruction and continuing pockets of Aegis, who truly wishes to risk another cataclysm? Why, those who do not fear power of course, the Fiends and the Lunus come to mind, but if we must talk about "not doing stereotypes" then surely there are beings of other races who might be interested in grabbing up a shovel and digging deep....

I doubt it would take too much to set up at least the foundation of such "mini-arcs" of story; the tunnels were essentially differently-coded dragonlairs. However, it would take some creativity to allow the storyline to move and twist, to rise and fall, and maybe take a few surprise turns! That's where the writing comes in.

"But they've got to fix the game!" you cry. Indeed, they do...however the one thing I note from the Horizons of Olde is they were never adverse to allowing the community to lend a hand with its own story. There are NPCs named after ingenious players, food items with names given by same, quests written by others. Thus, if Vit truly doesn't have the time to dedicate to writing any new lore at the moment...let us take up the pen (or keyboard) and write a few intros ourselves. Give us a quest-line, chosing from the lore of the game, and let us submit it privately (just to keep the sense of surprise). Let Vit choose the one they like the most, and then, the hints start coming in - and perhaps there's something in the world an enterprising explore has just found which no one has ever seen before...or heard of before. An NPC traveller who happens to be calling over the hills that the end is near - and no one listens. A region of resources which has suddenly become blighted - or perhaps an effect no one has ever heard of before. A race which finds itself becoming "magically unstable" and prone to power surges or collapses. Or the sound of "taptaptapping" as of someone gently rapping below a city's foundation...and we doubt it's Avon calling.

Excitement. Anticipation. Postulation. Discussion. Exploration, and sometimes the urge to just charge bravely into the unknown to get one's bum handed to one on a plate - so they can charge back yelling "You will NOT believe what I just found, everyone, grab a weapon, here it comes!"

Namely, let's make this a game again...not merely a habit.

Default Re: Istaria Storyline: Brushing off the Cobwebs

*nods in approval* I like these ideas as well as I like those that know their lore. Congrats on some well thought out approaches.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Check out the new MMORPG.com interview. They are working on a new event it seems.

I give my full agreeance with this post. Its really well thought out. Once I read it, I remembered just how much lore we have as a player base at our disposal.

I can remember rushing around to heal people of the Zymosis as well. Going from city to city, when one was done, another would get it. It was something so minor, but just added to the storyline and timeline in one of those 'you'll never guess what happened while you were gone' ways.

It would be great to see some of the old lore used in role play and see the storyline and timeline of the game go forward with the use of such.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

*applauds* very well done. I concur.

for additional storyline, i'd like to see the freeing of rachival... i've posted some stories related to my character under the order shard (roleplay) / roleplay subforum. i'd love to see me da found near the observatory, and help him complete an automaton that this time could really help in driving off the withered aegis. of course, since they've overrun the city for so long, underground caverns of blight were established, and/or portals to blighted areas put in place that intrepid gifted could use to carry the fight out of rachival to the WA 'homeland'.

just one little gnome's crazy thoughts ;-)

The Rachival thing was indeed an idea which was brewing in the back of my head, but it would really need to be unique and not like all the other racial freedom sorts of things...and I honestly had no idea what that would be. But yes, it is indeed a thought - even though gnomes drive me spare (I'm emotionally scarred by pink haired cutseygnomes from WoW), I think they could do with a bit of history-love, since no one is even exactly certain where gnomes come from.

Again, there's so much there, so much potential, I can't see why we couldn't have a return to that. And while I'm eager as everyone else to see the new content, I'm glad they're keeping it under wraps at the moment. Still, doesn't mean there couldn't be more going on as well eventually.

I'd really, really, really, really love to see more advancement of the storyline in game. And indeed, that sense of urgency you speak about was the absolute most appealign thing to me when the Events first started takin place at launch.

In my 2+ decades of gaming, I don't think I've had more memorable playing experiences than those I've had in the early days of Istaria. Even from the very morning of Launch Day. I remember first laying eyes on the blighted areas of New Brommel, standing shoulder to shoulder with the three friends that were playing alongside me and thinking to myself "Wow. This looks gnarly. What in dog's name is down there?" The four of us standing side by side on the hill looking down, like it was a scene from a movie, and we had all decided that we simply MUST go down there, no matter how gnarly it looks, and clean it up. And so we did, and so history was made that day as I engaged the first of the Withered Aegis.

I rmember weeks later when the first settlements were attacked, and Mineos the Wicked and his cronies assaulted Harro. He was horrifying to behold at first. An Abomination of the foulest creation. As an apprentice Cleric, not yet strong (some may say I'm still, not, but thats another matter ;P ) in the healing arts, still, I stood shoulder to shoulder with a host of other players on the Dawn server, casting our healing spells as quickly as we could, while countless warriors and mages and other adventurers surrounded us and defended us. We used every bit of healing magic we could, and we watched as Devlin, the first level 100 character (and hatchling *laugh*) I had ever seen went, literally, toe-to-toe with Mineos. Smaller battles were erupting everywhere around us while adventurers fought to keep Mineos henchmen from attacking Devlin, and everyone else knew that if Devlin fell, Mineos would rampage through the ranks of everyone else nearby. It was a desperate and pitched battle for the defense of Harro. Even at that time, I knew that the same scene was playing out in other locations such as Selen and Morning Light. That sense of urgency doesn't get any stronger than that. Knowing that even thought that little bit of healing I was contributing could have been making the difference between keeping everything together, or having it all fall apart.

Weeks after that, I remember standing guard by the frozen mine northwest of Morning Light, along with a handful of other adventurers, defending the builders who were working their fingers to the bone rebuilding the mine. All across Istaria, gatherers were gathering, miners were mining, long chains of runners were delivering materials to the processors, and then more runners were delivering those resources to the masons and fitters and carpenters. From there, even MORE runners were braving the gauntlet of patrols and assault squads of Satyr Skeletons, to get those precious materials to the builders at the mine. If I failed in my duty to protect those builders, then the delicate dance and careful sequence of hundreds of other people would have been disrupted. I stood and fought outside of that mine for days, literally. It was practically 12 hour shifts at the time. And though I wanted to leave on a few occasions, I couldn't do so until I got someone else to commit to defending the builders there. So I stood my ground, and did my duty. *AND* all of this was taking place in at least 3 other places around Istaria, for the other mines that were being built.

Because it took quite some time for all the mines to be built, I felt that if I didn't log in that day (or sometimes, even right that very hour!), then I would be missing something that wouldn't ever happen again. What if i missed the completion of the mine? Worse, what if I wasn't there to stand gaurd and the builders got killed? Or *gasp* even worse, what if there was a major assault by the Aegis again, and I wasn't there to do my part in it's defense?

I certainly wasn't willing to miss out on any of those things.

And, as if I needed to make things any more awesome, if I decided that I did want a break from all that urgency and duty, I could go buy a plot of land, and build my home in Istaria.

What more could you possibly want? Seriously.

Now, to shift gears for a sad moment, Istaria doesn't hold any of those marvels and treasures anymore. It hasn't for a long time now. That's really sad to me. I've gone off and tried to play some other games over the years, but I just can't find that same sense of urgency. Or FUN. Plain and simple. That fun just can't be had anywhere else. Even now. But that also includes Istaria. That kind of fun can't be found here anymore either. Hell, client problems and mechanics issues be damned. If I could get myself involved in that kind of AWESOME again, I wouldn't even care about those issues, because I'd have something to do.

As much as I'd love nothing more than to see that caliber of pure, unadulterated AWESOME back to Istaria, I don't have much hope of that happening. As much as Vi and it's employees may have good intentions, and want nothing best for the game, that sort of thing just isn't going to happen on a shoestring budget and a handful of developers. WoW has a small army of developers behind it. Why aren't *they* creating the kind of pure kickass that HZ had behind it early on?

Because it's an immense amount of work. The writing, the implementing, the testing, the fixing - even the execution. Vi could triple it's employees, and put them all on the task of full time writing, implementing testing and creating events like those from days past, even to the complete neglect of the rest of the game, and it would stil be months before any of us would see the beginnings of an Event like that.

It simply isn't feasible. And that really does break my little black and twisted heart.

In terms of pure storyline stuff though, even without that level of Event and interaction with the game world is still a lot of work. It's not impossible, but it's not a piece of cake either.

I'm holding out hope that someday HZ can get back to that level of pure, totally awesome radness.........

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Henry, you remember well. Tagath has one of those Harro screenshots where everyone went to defend and, well, umm, SPLAT.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Anyone remember Giant Chicken invasions? I think that was HZ.
    Starmind: Member of Scions on Order Shard; Helian Ancient Dragon 100/100/100
    Starmind's Crossroads: Harro, Just Uphill of the Binding Shrine

Very interesting. My brother bought Horizons when it first came out way back when, but gave up after a short while, and the game sat gathering cobwebs for years, until I finally picked it up and began to play. Coincidentally, my joining the game coincided with the appearance of Virtrium, and all sorts of interesting things happening.

However, as has been stated, the game will take a long time to design events like that. Already the developers have taken the reigns and grabbed their tools and really hammered out a solid foundation, but they have a lot of ground to cover in a very short period of time. After all, money isn't endless. Especially for Horizons to compete with other, newer MMOs out there, innovation is needed. Storyline is needed. A hook, beyond just being a dragon is needed. As a budding games developer myself, I understand the implications of this all too well.

The design is the easy part. In fact, it's also the fun part. Setting up a storyline, events, plot twists and rewards is simple. It's almost the same as planning out your house or lair (particularly a lair). You eagerly plan out all these exciting and fancy new rooms, click build and tadaa... you have a pile of stones that you have to turn into a masterpiece. It literally takes hundreds of hours of coding to produce an event of such large proportions, not only due to the sheer enormity of what has to be added, but also due to the testing needed, last minute changes, and contingency plans that have to be designed in case something goes wrong.

And not only do Virtrium have to deal with this, they ALSO have to deal with a growingly edgy community who have been waiting years for something to happen, the fact that they are an understaffed and SMALL company, and the even more pressing matter of dealing with existing game issues! Top that off with the fact that the player base is due for a decent spike in size soon, and you've got one hell of a cyclone coming through. I sincerely hope that Virtrium can batten down the hatches and weather the upcoming storm of demand that being a competent company will produce, and if I didn't live so far away from them I'd actually apply for a job just to help out and to get on board with such an exciting and demanding project.

There are SO many things that can be done with Horizons, and I think that's why the game has been around for so long. It's got an expansive map, a detailed storyline, a player base who fully support getting involved with their game on a plot level, and a gaming system different enough to hook new players, but sufficiently same enough to allow them to progress smoothly. No doubt many companies can see the opportunity this presents, but being able to capitalize on it is another matter.

I certainly think it's time for another WA strike storyline-wise, and maybe a good deal of cleansing too. So long as the devs are smart and make sure ALL players can be in the loop, it will certainly improve things 100%!

If only the back-burnered quest editor could be pushed out to the players to start assisting in adding new small (at first) quests and then larger as things progressed, so the devs could worry less on that and more on the bigger picture fixes and rewrites they're already slammed with.

And by quests, I'm talking multi-part things like RoP, wedding quest, and trials of the gifted. Things where you may have to kill a few beasties at a certain point for an object or two, a few people to hunt for, a bit of raw resource to gather and/or process. That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    If only the back-burnered quest editor could be pushed out to the players to start assisting in adding new small (at first) quests and then larger as things progressed, so the devs could worry less on that and more on the bigger picture fixes and rewrites they're already slammed with.

And by quests, I'm talking multi-part things like RoP, wedding quest, and trials of the gifted. Things where you may have to kill a few beasties at a certain point for an object or two, a few people to hunt for, a bit of raw resource to gather and/or process. That sort of thing.
    A quest editor would be nice.. I had made my own pw(persistant world) for never winter nights. They had a variety of tools including a conversation editor with a script library where you can add journal entries and quest checks for the npc to see if they have the quest item. This could work if we have the right tools. I would help out for sure if I had the chance to see some of my quests online.. =P

Hmm.. they should give us more tools so i can help make a dungeon as well..

In any form its still a good idea to let the community help with the workload. we could test the quests on a quest server(or blight) but we'll also need a mini test server to run for our own to see if they are working well enough to submit them. if not then a utility to check your quests to see if they are in working order.
    My first quest will involve a lord of some obscure estate who has gout..

I know for the time being we can simply add a npc in any spot really.. but I would like to make an actual instanced zone where they send you off to. maybe a catacomb to defeat the necromancer or the field where a lady has lost her locket to a giant encampment.. really the possibilites are endless. i for one get alot of enjoyment from creating something that someone else can have fun doing. I'll keep an eye out for the tools and i'll also start a quest log so when i have a new idea it won't be lost..

Only thing is, the base framework for Horizons does not support, use, or allow instances, which is why Horizons is a seamless world.

But I agree, a submission server set up somewhat like Blight would be a good idea for all the little quests we players could do. I'm not talking about major rewrites of entire segments of landscape, either. Merely things to involve more of the community with more of the NPCs. Ok, so you've done the Town Marshall quest in Dalimond a few dozen times to kill the wolves. And you've also handled the trophy hunter's desire for heads mounted on his wall.

BUT, who said the wolves were only affecting those two in town?

What if they're congregating out there because someone in town is secretly FEEDING them?

Now, the question is, WHO? And what if the scent of the food is bringing in the occasional WEREWOLF?

Thread Information