Thread: Bittorrent installer client

Lightbulb Bittorrent installer client

Everybody knows downloading the full Horizons package (again) can be a pain if you don't have your original disks anymore, or never had them. So Tulga provided us with this cutting edge installer, a simple bittorrent client "to make your download super fast". This of course is very interesting technology, only there is a problem. The download does not go super fast. It's hanging around 20-25 kb/s here (well might be fast for dail-up users ).

Here's why: there are probably not many people "seeding". You seed when you have finished your own download, but you keep the client running so it will upload the file(s) to anyone else downloading it via this way. So, to speed up the download for everyone else, more seeds are needed. But not everyone likes to have yet another program running, downloading, taking memory etc. I don't. But I do have another bittorrent client program running almost 24/7 (it's on a server), and I'd love to help seeding Horizons with that program. But there's the problem: there is no .torrent file to put in the client!

So here's the suggestion: wouldn't it be nice to have a .torrent file available, which everyone who likes to can use, instead of this standalone client? I know the client looks real nice, but I get scared when I stare at a dragon for too long, or have an evil looking red-black vortex in my system tray
    Maybe VI can provide it, maybe someone can extract it from the client? Suggestions/discussions are welcome
    Fidri Ragnir of Unity, dwarf cleric, amongst the living once again
    Firnas Ragnir of Chaos, elf warrior apprentice

Default Re: Bittorrent installer client

Up! Good Idea.
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

I re-subscribed last week, and instead of using my disks, I went with the torrent installer to see how well it worked.

the download peaked at around 350-400 kb/s, averaging around 100-250 kb/s. The whole download took about an hour on a DSL connection. Maybe the seeding has improved.

Another 20 min of scanning and recent patch downloads, and I was in Istaria.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Thats not to bad.. I've been 'seeding' for a few weeks now.. but there is no indication the program works. It would be nice to get the .torrent file available.
    And maybe some updated installation package.
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

bleh, i hate bit torrent......

but that's just me, so long as other -viable- options remain, i won't go into the "evils of BT" rant

Thread Information