Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dramatic ambient music for HZ.

Default Dramatic ambient music for HZ.

This is probably going to be more of a game than a suggestion, considering I realize that in order to implement anyone's suggestion in this thread, a lot of hoops would have to be jumped through (deals, permissions, and money) to leagaly officially make it happen, but who knows, an unoffical mod maker may actually accomplish it somewhere some day.

Ok so what I would like to see is everyone's ideas and commentary of good dramatic music pices that would in their mind fit a particular zone of horizions. I want to see the title of the pice, author, if applicable- Album, what zone it would be appropriate for and why they feel the pice is appropriate for that zone.

I will begin:
    Lcation: Satyer Aisles
    Title: XP Continuum
    Author: Asura
    Album: Four A.D.
    Why:
    I felt that this pice would fit beautifly in the satyer isles due to the dark lamenting feel of the music. From what I understand, the Satyers were a proud, musical, jovial race with a large magical empire. The music hints of the loss of that greatness, yet the invasion of sweet violin and flute in the darkness hints at the nature of the old days while the deep violin in the background denotes the drudgery and vilness of what the satyer islands have now become. The drum beat denotes the ongoing of time, oblivious to the ravages the islands have undergone.

Default Re: Dramatic ambient music for HZ.

I've always thought any music from the Silent Hill soundtracks would work well with areas such as blighted lands, Dralk/Char, lairs, etc; you know, spookyish places.

Example:

Location - Char
    Title - Never End
    Author - Akira Yamaoka
    Album - Silent Hill Original Soundtrack
    Why - Char is a barren, fiery wasteland, and I felt this piece would work well with it. Maybe make it a bit longer..

http://www.silent-hill.org/images/si...ever%20End.mp3

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Nice, I would have to agree on that one, too bad it's so short.

Fix existing the existing music system before adding new music, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Fix existing the existing music system before adding new music, please.
    Please comment on bugs in the bugs section.
    Thank you.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Title: Anywhere Is
    ARTIST (authors make books, not songs): Enya
    Album: Anywhere Is single (1995)
    Especially around the portals, gives a really upbeat feeling and the idea of travel, of seeing what you've not seen. Maybe I'm just nuts, but especially the portals off the starting islands and New Trismus I'd put this one on.

Maybe for the portalling music, too while you're looking at the splash screen.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

i would suggest, to avoid royalty issues have a customisable play list that you can associate any music file (mp3, mp4 wav etc.) that you put in a specific folder to various event cues, so you can get it to play anything you have a "licence" for and you have in a suitable format. triggered automatically based on whatever you set it for

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    i would suggest, to avoid royalty issues have a customisable play list that you can associate any music file (mp3, mp4 wav etc.) that you put in a specific folder to various event cues, so you can get it to play anything you have a "licence" for and you have in a suitable format. triggered automatically based on whatever you set it for
    I was wondering if somthing like this mabe allready exists. Like in Morrowind, I used to drop my own music into the music folder all the time. I just haven't really looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    the problem with this is.. the triggers are not already there and would need to be added... and with this addition... a music file would need to be added to the client to at least have a temporary holding spot for the future addition of your own music files.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I look at it this way. I bought the music. I have the CD. I want to hear Nick Carter singing "I Got You" all across Mahagra, so I will set up the mp3 for Mahagra_mus01.mp3 in the resource_override folder.

Did I say anyone else had to listen to the same music I did?

And am I the only one who thinks that Aughundell should have dubbed in "We're Off To See The Wizard"?

Title: "High Flying Adored"
    Artist: Antonio Banderas/Madonna, "Evita Soundtrack"

Listen to it. You'll understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    I look at it this way. I bought the music. I have the CD. I want to hear Nick Carter singing "I Got You" all across Mahagra, so I will set up the mp3 for Mahagra_mus01.mp3 in the resource_override folder.

Did I say anyone else had to listen to the same music I did?

And am I the only one who thinks that Aughundell should have dubbed in "We're Off To See The Wizard"?
    Can that be done for places outside cities though?

And LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Title: "High Flying Adored"
    Artist: Antonio Banderas/Madonna, "Evita Soundtrack"

Listen to it. You'll understand why.
    Hmm, I understand why, but not sure the style matches my tastes. (At least from the sample I listened to.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    a music file would need to be added to the client to at least have a temporary holding spot for the future addition of your own music files.
    This I don't understand. One would think the code would just say: "if it doesn't exist, don't play it" instead of just throwing an error or somthing.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    This I don't understand. One would think the code would just say: "if it doesn't exist, don't play it" instead of just throwing an error or somthing.
    But you have to have a specific name for the file to be played.. thus a place holder... the place holder could just be a simple check in the code saying if file xxxxx.wav doesn't exist.. don't try to play it.. but the pointer to the file has to exist someplace.. in the code.. or as a file as we currently have....

So either an actual file place holder needs to be there.. or a pointer in the code has to say play whatever is in <this location>... either way...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Ahh, I see what you are saying, I thought you meant an actual file would have to be sent. Yes, the idea that the code would need to have some idea what file to load was taken for granted in my mind.

Lcation: Agor Agor spawning grounds
    Title: Rotundous Maximus
    ARTIST :-p : Tipper
    Album: Surrounded
    Why:
    In my mind, this pice drips with pity for a creature that is grossly obese and quite tormented. I only wish I knew latin, so I could figure out what the vocals are singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    the problem with this is.. the triggers are not already there and would need to be added... and with this addition... a music file would need to be added to the client to at least have a temporary holding spot for the future addition of your own music files.
    well sort of

triggers should only a minor addition with only one or two lines of code each

and as to a place holder well all that's needed for that is a simple string variable

so if you just want mapping of one music file to one event

all you need is a few triggers, a string list and simple UI to allow you to link the two

that part is easy and could likely be done in a couple of hours

any difficulties would be involved with the code that plays the files having the appropriate codecs available to understand formats.
    (if all files were in format used by in game music then not a huge amount of work)

Album: Echoes Of Egypt
    Author: Diana & David Arkenstone

Why: The album has five tracks, all of which have an Egyptian theme to them. The music fits the Saris to a tee, much like the existing Sslik racial music heard in Sslanis.

"Seduction" (Track 3), for example, fits an overall cityscape, while "Temple of Isis" (Track 4) would work for a temple location, or for a place with a general feeling of wonder and discovery. Most of the tracks are rather long when compared to the average length of music. As an example, "Temple Of Isis" runs for over 14 minutes! Even with the extra length, the songs never seem to get tiring or boring, at least for me.

Oh, on a note of geekyness, I am typing this out on my new 16gig iPod touch (with "Temple of Isis" playing in the background.

-Menkure
    Last edited by Menkure; September 26th, 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: testing edit function using ipod

Callak, I'm moderately fluent in Latin. I'll have to pick it up to listen and tell you.

Or let me see if I can find a lyrics site.

Well, a google search yielded no lyrics site to see them, so I guess I'm going to have to listen to it.
    Last edited by C`gan; September 26th, 2007 at 12:46 PM.

Thread Information