Thread: Technically not an in-game bug, but still very important

Default Technically not an in-game bug, but still very important

A while back I opened up a support ticket because I couldn't access Horizons. Funnily enough, after some playing around I ended up getting it working, but the problem still remains, even after the ticket was closed.

The problem I speak of is accessing Horizons from certain IP addresses. Any attempts to access from the 61.0.0.0 IP range and above (not sure to what threshold) is DENIED by the Horizons site! Since my IP tends to swing between 61. and 59. I occasionally still have to reset my IP before I can play.

Now while this poses little issue to me, it IS an issue for Horizons, especially if they wish to build the player base. I've tried it with several friends, and 2 out of 3 had the same issue getting through... now you can imagine the player base implications when many potential players can't even access the site!

So yeah, I thought I'd post it here rather than opening another ticket so that the HZ staff can read about and fix it at their leisure, though it is obviously a fairly high priority "bug".

Default Re: Technically not an in-game bug, but still very important

61.0.0.0 IP range may be blocked (temporarily or permanently) because of security issues, ive read in various places that people block that range to prevent hacking attempts (whether that is sensible or not is another issue)

its also its possible left over from restrictions on what county you had to be in to play different versions Europe in Europe US in US etc.

if it is a problem you could try getting a fixed ip address outside of that range
    or using a redirector
    Last edited by fireblade; September 24th, 2007 at 10:53 AM.

Default Re: Technically not an in-game bug, but still very important

Wow, that seems extreme.
    Blocking 61.0.0.0/8 is blocking over 1/256th of the internet (or about 17 million hosts).

Run a traceroute and see where it dies.
    (cmd prompt, tracert horizons.istaria.com)

Thread Information