Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk in the Online Channels

Default Talk in the Online Channels

Is it just me or does it seem that there is WAY TOO much hugs and kisses going on in the Online channels. Seems to be happening all the time anymore. Playfull roleplaying is ok but I feel the over show of affection going on in the channels is somewhat out of line. Please take this activity to private conversations, as not everyone wants to see this.

This is on the Order shard and if need be - move this thread to that area.

Default Re: Talk in the Online Channels

Ouch, I hug my friends, when I enter and when I leave. A big ouchers. Why do we have to hide a hug with a private message? Just curious? It does not violate any rules.

I think someone's just jealous they're missing out on the luv.
    Starmind: Member of Scions on Order Shard; Helian Ancient Dragon 100/100/100
    Starmind's Crossroads: Harro, Just Uphill of the Binding Shrine

No, I think something is going on here that I dont see happening. Perhaps in another channel that I don't frequent.

Dragon: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    OOC: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    New Player: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    Marketplace: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*

(Hmm... I think that's all the channels I hang out in.)

There, that should count for the next few logins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmeen View Post
    Dragon: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    OOC: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    New Player: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*
    Marketplace: *Jasmeen gives Hoberton big hugs and lots of wet smoochie kisses*

(Hmm... I think that's all the channels I hang out in.)

There, that should count for the next few logins.

This I do not mind.

Some of the conversations get a bit more intense and I do not want to post those comments here in this thread. I just want to point out that some conversations do go a bit overboard.

I've not seen anything extending beyond the pg of Howdy friend/parent/sibling! *hugs* (or *nuzzle* for dragons). Certainly nothing I'd call needing to betaken to private channels. The onlytime I've ever seen anything that broke extended beyond pg or pg-13ish was a typo a few months back *coughs*

Given the size of the world and how spread out folks tend to be the public channels such as Dragon are the main source of rp and general interaction with others over all for me and many others Im sure. I see no issue with others offering hugs/nuzzles or even kisses to those who are thier rp (or RL) friends and family, as long as it doesnt extend to the point of bedroom type stuff.

EDIT: Ah... in the time it took me to type this all out it was explained. Understood, disregaurd if you wish

I'll keep your concern in mind.

Just for further clarification, define "a bit overboard"/"a bit more intense"? Does that actually mean what it implies it means (crossing boundaries of PG), or does it just mean "a bit more frequent + a bit more descriptive, but basically the same actions everyone else does"?
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I haven't noticed any overboard affection... but then again I've been spending alot of time getting re-situated and trying to not die. lol

Dragon nuzzling is A-ok by me; I own slobber-towels.
    I'm a big fan of hugs.
    Kisses are ok, but need to be pre-approved by Djanee.
    You're my friend for life if the ale's on the house.

Of course, anything that would normally get you arrested in public should probably be taken to a private channel... perhaps you saw something objectionable, Hobey; just saying I haven't observed anything out of the norm so far.

...I can call you "Hobey", right? I mean... it's Hobarton... just... shortened...

I'M A DWARF AND LIKE THINGS SHORT, OK?!?! DON'T LOOK AT ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE!!

*stumps off into a corner to sulk into his mug*

Hehe. Oh there has definitely been a fair share of people who croass the line from pg into pg13 and beyond. Those people need to get a life and find girlfriend/boyfriend. Or at least go cyber in private channels
    *shakes head*

Quote Originally Posted by Soars View Post
    Hehe. Oh there has definitely been a fair share of people who croass the line from pg into pg13 and beyond. Those people need to get a life and find girlfriend/boyfriend. Or at least go cyber in private channels
    *shakes head*
    Although I agree with the idea that there is a realm of interaction that should be communicated in private rather than on public channels, I resent the implications you have peppered your post with. RP != cyber, RP != lack of real life, and RP != RL singleness.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    This I do not mind.

Some of the conversations get a bit more intense and I do not want to post those comments here in this thread. I just want to point out that some conversations do go a bit overboard.
    Maybe you need to clarify? Or better yet, talk to the parties involved in a mature, adult manner, then, rather than airing your problems in public, for two reasons. One, in my opinion it's just as rude to talk about people by implication in public as it is to come out and say "On Wednesday, Sept 26th, Jasmeen sent a message to dragon chat that I felt was highly inappropriate. Does anyone else feel the same?" All that implying problems does it makes everyone wonder what your problem really is. After all, your original post said "hugs and kisses", not something more. And second, if you did say what was being said without giving the person or people involved a chance to change first, you'd be simply repeating what they said.

And, of course, the final issue is that not everyone reads forums. Only a very small percentage of any online game reads the forums, and while that percentage is higher for Horizons than most (it seems), it still is by no means everyone. So the very people that you're having issue with may or may not even read here.

If you've tried to address this matter with them privately and still feel what they are doing/saying on public channels is not appropriate or crosses a line, then (and I kinda hate saying this but I will anyway), report them. Let a CSR from Vitrium decide if they need to "tone it down" on public channels or not. Really, as I see it, posting on a forum like this isn't going to do anything more than cause paranoia and make everyone ask "What the heck is he talking about? Does he mean me?"

Thanks, Soars. Your over the top, rather rude in my opinion, proves my point. I didn't see Hoberton's original post with having anything to do with "cybering" in the least. Obviously you did.

And I agree with Xoshara. It wasn't at all called for that you imply people who roleplay (in any definition of the word) need to "get a life" or signifigant other.

This is why I stopped playing my order character. Too many furries. Because of my forum name they immediately assume I am one of them. I get this in IRChats sometimes too:P. This leads to an unfortunately number of odd and unusual PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    This is why I stopped playing my order character. Too many furries. Because of my forum name they immediately assume I am one of them. I get this in IRChats sometimes too:P. This leads to an unfortunately number of odd and unusual PMs.
    Roleplaying dragon/Saris/Sslik/Satyr/etc. affection != furry inclination.

Just be happy you didn't name yourself gerbil65... tho Tribble69 might at least be worth a hearty chuckle. *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    Just be happy you didn't name yourself gerbil65... tho Tribble69 might at least be worth a hearty chuckle. *grin*
    Heh. This name actually came from my hotmail account. I went for just gopher, but of course that was already taken, even back then (99? I think?). I chose gopher for that hotmail account because earlier that day my science teacher had told us "each table chose one 'go-for' to come up and get supplies for the lab today".

I use it for most of my forum accounts now. There does seem to be at least 1 other gopher65 out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    The onlytime I've ever seen anything that broke extended beyond pg or pg-13ish was a typo a few months back *coughs*
    I remember that...

Not all "furries" are uhm Ahem *cough* bad...

As an example, I do associate with the fandom, and have many friends who are a part of it. I help set up annual meets and gatherings with those here in my state. I am also on staff at Anthrocon as well, and volunteer at several other cons, including Midwest Furfest.

I'm not a 'deviant' in any way... in fact, I rather despise that particular aspect of the fandom. Unfortunately, there are those in the fandom that do give everyone in it a bad reputation, but it really is only a small percentage of people.

Not like I'm 'coming out' with the whole furry thing, I suspect people know given my signature and avatar.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be opening up this particular can of worms here.. so back on topic!

-Menkure

Interesting, never heard of fandom, so looked it up in google search:

Furry fandom is a fandom distinguished by its enjoyment of anthropomorphic, often humanoid, animal characters.[1] Examples of anthropomorphism in the furry fandom include the attribution of human intelligence, facial expressions, and often anatomy, speech, bipedalism, and the wearing of clothes. Members of this subculture are sometimes known as furry fans, furries, or simply furs.[2]

Art and entertainment celebrated by furry fandom includes fictional work that employs the concept of animal characters with human characteristics, rather than any particular type of fiction. For this reason, any work, in any medium, may be considered part of the furry genre simply by inclusion of an anthropomorphized animal character, although such characters are most often seen in comics, cartoons, animated films, allegorical novels, and video games. The science fiction and fantasy genres make frequent use of anthropomorphism, and as a result, are especially popular in furry fandom.[citation needed]

Since the 1980s, the term furries has come to refer to anthropomorphic animal characters.[3][4][5] Although mammals are the most common, anthropomorphized reptiles, birds or aquatic animals may also be known as furries (sometimes "scalies"[6], "avians,"[7] or "aquatics," respectively).

Thread Information