Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss mob suggestion

Default Boss mob suggestion

I have a suggestion for Valkor, Reklar, and Son of Gigaroth. To end the boring camping, a small quest should able to be done which will spawn him for the group once they reach the correct area (can still involve searching the possible spawns, he only pops after they reach the right zone and get within say 50m or so).

The quest could only be done once every 48 hours per sub on the account. i.e. 5 friends with 7 subs among them could do it up to 7 times in 2 days. In contrast to say 4 times in times in 2 days the old way (Drops will be split among more people so this effect balances itself out). The more subs a person has, the more they can spawn him. However 2 people with 2 subs would be limited to only 2 spawns in 2 days.

A small incentive for extra subs.

A way to end the camping.

Once a single character on an account performs the quest and he spawns, OR once a single character on an account does any damage to sog, is damaged by sog, or heals someone damaged by sog (any involvement in the fight whatsoever), then the counter on all involved accounts is advanced 48 hours preventing any characters on the account from doing the quest to spawn him. This will help avoid potential work arounds, as well as help people stay out of other groups' battles for fear of messing up their own timers. Accounts with multiple subs would have multiple timers, each started independantly. As long as one of the timers was at 0, the account could perform the spawn quest. Smaller more powerful groups would have the advantage over lower leveled, larger groups. But this makes sense.

Potential spawn locations of Valkor could include the festival crypt as well as all the new span locations, and perhaps even Western deadlands and the Eastern deadlands. When the character performing the quest to spawn a mob completes the quest, the npc tells him a vague "xXx was last seen around <location>" to at least give a general direction to head. Once the person on the quest gets within say 50m on the spawn location, he would pop.

I believe I've thought it out pretty well, what say you Vitrium? Players? If it turns out that 48 hours isn't quite long enough, could be adjusted after exerimentation.

Default Re: Boss mob suggestion

Sounds pretty good to me.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

Current timers are 12 hours from death to spawn. I like the concept considering its all I use to do (And still do sometimes). Nothing beats a long enduring fight with you and a friend against strong odds. To make them no longer contested would be nice indeed and give others a chance at this stuff. However if this is on a spawn you might wanna consider keeping it at 12 or notch it up to 24 max.

Heres why: Most games with spawn mob triggers have short timers on them. Usually 6 to 8 hours. For something bigger like this they notch it up to about 12 to 24 hours to ensure it cannot be farmed.

With the concept of keeping compedative with other games that would be a way of looking at it. However with the massive increase of comp drop rates I really cant say I would like a high timer on the spawns personally. Reason is because it just feels too too too too easy now to get comps vs bosses. I spent three months crafting one set against every damage type in the game. Thats grinding it. Now I can get that in a few weeks.. *Cry*

Just a thinkin' about things to do for those of us at endgame..a few times round..to do so we dont get bored untill events return.
    We seek only that is wich in our hearts, for no greater foe then ourselves there is.
    Leader of Silver Dawn community.
    Forums: http://forums.ravenhawk.us/index.php
    Gallery: http://www.ravenhawk.us

Learn, share, grow, ascend..

It don't really matter. I've seen them hang around for days before someone kills it.
    Starmind: Member of Scions on Order Shard; Helian Ancient Dragon 100/100/100
    Starmind's Crossroads: Harro, Just Uphill of the Binding Shrine

This allows the game to simulate what would be considered an "Instance" in a small sense.

Once the technology was in place, could open up other avenues for new content.

This process could be used for people running the dungeon David had been working on, if it's ever populated with monsters. The dungeon is a close analagy to other MMO dungeons/instances. Where every 2 days to once a week (for the really epic instances) you can run the instance (looking for loot). Hz can't directly do instances, but I believe it could easily approximate one by allowing groups to spawn the epic bosses from a simple process (the quest) which is kept track of.

I know the dev's probably have alot on their plate, but figuring out a good way to do this could go a long way towards improving the end game. I think it would be great if instead of 3 epic bosses, the game had 10 times that.

This is a well thought out and excellent suggestion. I have argued for instancing of epic mobs since their inception. Make the epic mobs harder if you have to. At least it will give everyone a fair chance to try and kill them. You can't ask for much more than that. It will also help decrease the amount of animosity that develops between players camping them. This game shouldn't be about countless hours searching for a given mob, only to fight over it if several groups happen upon it at the same time. It should be about a good understanding of the game mechanics necessary to kill said mob or about having a whole lot of friends willing to stand by your side in numbers.

In RoP, the Crystal Golem, Mindlasher, and the Entombed is instanced in this fashion. The timer would be a continuous countdown like the death point counter; the only difference being, you can't remove the buff. Further, this buff could be "instance stamped" with the a unique ID of the SoG you fought thus stopping you from joining in multiple fights (like the PvP arena buff); you get one chance per spawn period. In essence, the game mechanics to implement this have already been developed.

I like the idea. It would also keep one group of players from monopolizing the mob. There are some problems I see though such as if multiple groups are on the quest at the same time, and it spawns two or more of the boss in the same place. If you make him ignore any other players who didn't spawn him then I'm sure people will find ways to exploit that such as healers out of group. Or if he doesn't ignore people out of group, then you run into the problem of people camping for him and taking him away from the group that spawned him. Remember it'll only be a matter of time before all the spawn locations are mapped out.

An true instance would be all of the awesome but I'm not sure if Horizons' current client can even do those. If it can then I hope to see plenty of them for all levels eventually.

I like this idea a whole lot. It gives everyone a crack at the big mobs. Also would probably ease the tension between certain people over who gets the spawn.

Isharae of The Ancients - Pet Saris Druid to Dracanaa
    Katarae - Lost dragoness of Order

Excellent idea. This would provide an implementation of instancing that would allow every one an even opportunity at the Elite Boss Mobs.

Fighting over spawn has become "the game" for some and that is distastefull in an otherwise well designed game world. Guaran's idea would help put a stop to the "player wars" that degrade this wonderful game. You can always put players on ignore and "not see the drivel they spew" but when they directly intefere with your own actions it really does detract from the game's enjoyment.

Guaran's suggestion is well written - well thought out! 100% support from this dragon!

Thumbs up Re: Boss mob suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Valtur View Post
    In RoP, the Crystal Golem, Mindlasher, and the Entombed is instanced in this fashion. The timer would be a continuous countdown like the death point counter; the only difference being, you can't remove the buff. Further, this buff could be "instance stamped" with the a unique ID of the SoG you fought thus stopping you from joining in multiple fights (like the PvP arena buff); you get one chance per spawn period. In essence, the game mechanics to implement this have already been developed.
    Exactly! This is an excellent example of an existing process that should be applied to all Boss Mobs!
    Concoidal Fractus
    Expert Dragon Crafter - Master Lairshaper

Wonderful Idea. Pretty much given up trying for the boss mobs due to all the camping. Would definately make the game more interesting. The multiple drops is excellent also. I've never attained any of the "special" parts to the quests due my horrid "random" luck LOL. So I gave up trying.

This is a brilliant idea. Gives everyone a chance to do boss mobs, and it sounds fun. This would definitely bring people back.
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

Thumbs up Re: Boss mob suggestion

I've waited a long time for an opportunity to experience some of the boss mobs I haven't had a chance to in 2 years because of the current status and the inconsiderate behavior of some players who camp these mobs. I applaud and support the well thought out suggestions previously posted. I'm impressed and very happy with the recent management by VI and hope has returned to Istaria. Thank you VI and I hope you seriously consider these suggestions. No one should be able to say I've never been able to experience that mob because it's always camped. I love this game and have been willing to stick it out under some really bad conditions but today I look forward to Horizons' evolution and look forward to these suggestions being implemented.

Halacious Firstorm of the great guild The Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Kessedrian View Post
    I like the idea. It would also keep one group of players from monopolizing the mob. There are some problems I see though such as if multiple groups are on the quest at the same time, and it spawns two or more of the boss in the same place. If you make him ignore any other players who didn't spawn him then I'm sure people will find ways to exploit that such as healers out of group. Or if he doesn't ignore people out of group, then you run into the problem of people camping for him and taking him away from the group that spawned him. Remember it'll only be a matter of time before all the spawn locations are mapped out.

An true instance would be all of the awesome but I'm not sure if Horizons' current client can even do those. If it can then I hope to see plenty of them for all levels eventually.
    The way I think this could work, is that the group on the quest gets a "team" buff, similiar to arena teams. It would be a unique team that would allow attacking the approriate boss on the opposite team. there sould be multiple teams at once, and they could not interfere with other teams. Thats how the team buffs work already. Your group would be team 100, the boss would be team 101, next group that happens along is team 102, their boss is on team 103. Only the matching pair of teams can interact. Remember, the boss may have multiple possible places to spawn, so 2 teams could be at work and not be in the same place by design. Wouldnt it be fun if you got the quest going, and then everyone set out to search Eastern deadlands to find Son of Gigaroth? Once found and identified as the correct enemy (shows up red) then you can begin. Once the target dies, the team buff fades. If the player dies while battling the mob (the mob for which his quest applies to), he regains the buff upon ressurection. But as soon as the quest is started and the team buff is applied, that accounts' subscription has a 48 hour countdown timer that excludes you or any of the other toons from re-doing that particular boss again, until the timer runs out. Like the way the death-point timer works. However, if you have multiple paid subscriptions on the account, then there would be the same number of timers useable for each epic boss.

So yes, there would need to be some details figured out, but the basic mechanics of it I believe to be in place.

All sorts of new bosses could then be implemented. Some maybe solely for a cash drop. Others for perhaps a new fancy crystal, or maybe even shards of a craftable crystal. These new boss-quests could even be in place in all tiers. There could be tier1 "The Mummy!" boss, who can be spawned on new trismus, that is very difficult and exciting for a group of new players and drops level appropriate items.

I hope they consider this idea. Something about a group setting off on a quest seems very appealing to me.

If they do this on live thats fine by me, but I hope not on Blight there is a very limited number of us that can kill Soggy bottom and the others, and if "live" still has players big enough to group and kill them, and they are still camping him, and not being "nice" about it, then the heck with it make it a 3 month timer not a couple days, I can understand people wanting the neat drops and stuff, but gesh, if its a couple people/ groups screwing it up for others then screw them up, so they cant camping them, I just understand the mentality of this whole thread on boss mobs.
    And as to what Guaran said on the numbers , why not just make another arena and say , hum i choose to kill S.O.G pay your 1gold per team member and beat the snot out of him
    Last edited by MarshDog; October 7th, 2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: more rambling ideas
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Excellent - not just a statement of problem, but an offer and example of a viable solution! Well done Guaran. I support implementation of such virtual instancing - limiting access in time with buffs! Nice and elegant.

Guaran's suggestion has my full support as a viable solution to a very annoying problem.

I really like this idea, and I'd like to give a nod to Guaran for putting a good deal of thought into the suggestion and how it might work. However, there are a few issues I can see based on how the quest system works.

Currently, there isn't a way to do a group quest. You can have a group of individuals who are on the same quest, but not a quest as a group. I don't know whether or not the acocunt timers would be workable, but as for triggering a boss mob by quest, yes, that part can be done.

The problem is that when you spawn a mob in a quest, you have to specify a single location for that spawn to occur. You can assign a spawn radius, so the spawn can occur anywhere within X meters of the specified location, but you can't choose randomly between several spawn regions. A quest like this for SoG could indeed spawn SoG anywhere in Istaria; but that's the only place he would spawn as a result of that quest.

A quested spawn could have an impact on the regular spawn of SoG if his biote was limited to one unique spawn at a time. That's easy enough to change, but if you get several people on the same quest all arriving at the spawn point at once, it would be possible to pop one SoG for each of them. I'm sensing that would result in lots of sad pandas...

Note that you can see this happen on RoP with the crystal golem. If two hatchies with the golem spawn buff enter the trigger area at the same time, you get two crystal golems.

Like I said, I think this is a well-presented idea, but I don't think it can work as it is given the current quest system.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Well, it could be that only one person has to do the quest to get him to spawn.

Since there are other pieces in place that prevents someone from donig the quest even after only helping on a kill, that would not be an issue. However, I can see that if only one person does the quest, how would the game know how to add others in on a particular quest. I'm open to suggestions on this point.

Each spawned sog would be a different biote, but the point is to remove he existing sog's spawns.

Kinda a two cents thing, but Guaran has made a great point, I'm all for it!

Thread Information