Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Riders

Default Re: Dragon Riders

You know, I think it would be a lot eaier to carry a biped on your back than try to land with one underneath you without smooshing them.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    You know, I think it would be a lot eaier to carry a biped on your back than try to land with one underneath you without smooshing them.
    Ssssshhh, don't spoil it now. I hope you didn't tell this to any naka yet?

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Personally, I think at adulthood and ancienthood, dragons should get an extra spot for straps, saddle, harness, something that allows them to carry a biped, should they choose to. Something the Leatherworkers of Istaria Local 1372 could put together. Of course, the slot wouldn't hold anything at all in Khutit. And I do not suggest anyone riding a Khutit (well, unless you're a gnome or a dryad).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

From what I obtained from chatting with DB:

Making a dragon ridable was easy to do with the game mechanics, but would look very "unpolished" as it would look like a bunch of bipeds being "towed" on the dragon in standing positions. The problem lies with the fact that in their end days, Tulga had not too many "art / content" designers, and would need to make graphics / animation for 10 character races to mount / dismount the dragon so it "looked" like they were riding the dragon.

For the Eragon part of the thread.... If you read the book, the movie was a pure insult to the story and was maybe 10% if that, of the book series. Yes he "borrowed" from some of the other novelists out there but dragons and their riders have been around for a while in storytelling.

Saddles are good but large and would take a few men to strap one on unless another dragon helps. I have interesting ideas which I will implement into my book about devices that can be "worn" for transporting humans via dragon.

DB also did mention that the dragon can kick anyone off the list of riders while in flight, so be nice or you best be quick on the recall button when you land in the deep waters.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    From what I obtained from chatting with DB:

Making a dragon ridable was easy to do with the game mechanics, but would look very "unpolished" as it would look like a bunch of bipeds being "towed" on the dragon in standing positions. The problem lies with the fact that in their end days, Tulga had not too many "art / content" designers, and would need to make graphics / animation for 10 character races to mount / dismount the dragon so it "looked" like they were riding the dragon..
    This is very good news in my book, hopefully Vi can finish the job? I'd be very happy to see this.
    For the Eragon part of the thread.... If you read the book, the movie was a pure insult to the story and was maybe 10% if that, of the book series. Yes he "borrowed" from some of the other novelists out there but dragons and their riders have been around for a while in storytelling.
    *gag* The movie was a sore attempt at representing the book. At least when LOTR was made a movie it came very close.
    DB also did mention that the dragon can kick anyone off the list of riders while in flight, so be nice or you best be quick on the recall button when you land in the deep waters.
    Also good news, assuming Vi carries on. I'm a good natured Helian, but I would hate to be forced to accomodate anyone with insulting or otherwise bad tastes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

seriously, will an adult dragon really not be able to pick and choose?
    i am sure you will be able to decline the request if you do not want to tote a rude biped. being able to toss said biped off in midflight is a nice bonus!

my question is - will bipeds be able to ride with a full cargo disk, and will that effect the dragon's flying speed?
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    my question is - will bipeds be able to ride with a full cargo disk, and will that effect the dragon's flying speed?
    I would imagine not as ped cargo disks cant be flown with when a dragon has it. Unless you're going for the whole over grown horse route *glares*
    But if it were made possible. I wander if the dragon could also equip its flying disk at the same time and how that would effect movement speed.

Hehe, we can barely tow our own disks as it is in flight, let alone carrying a naka as well.

Hehe I was thinking more along the lines of annoying naka with full disk gets on, I fly up, put on my disk, and fly at a speed of 1...in the oposite direction *evil grins*

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Personally, I'd say flying with a biped would ground any cargo disk they're hauling because those disks weren't meant for flying. How many dragons out there get anywhere hauling deluxe, standard, or Tarbash disks and get off the ground?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Making a dragon ridable was easy to do with the game mechanics, but would look very "unpolished" as it would look like a bunch of bipeds being "towed" on the dragon in standing positions.

[Dragon flashing a paw full of lore tokens and trophies] "Hey there little Naka, wanna go for a ride on my cargo disk?"

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    Making a dragon ridable was easy to do with the game mechanics, but would look very "unpolished" as it would look like a bunch of bipeds being "towed" on the dragon in standing positions.
    Hey, this works too, think Dune and the Fremen riding sandworms.

Now, this is not intended to mean that dragons are sandworms, but rather, it did look pretty cool to have the Fremen with their ropes standing atop the great worms.

I think we can all agree to pass on the hooks

Sorry, there will be no worm riding without the worm hooks. Or the thumpers, for that matter. (gnomian tinkerer invention - what else?)
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan
    Sorry, there will be no worm riding without the worm hooks. Or the thumpers, for that matter. (gnomian tinkerer invention - what else?)
    But dragons are not worms , or at least I'm not going to hint that they are related in any way, shape or form.

But thumping for dragons to come, that could be interesting, gnomes, get busy!

Worm, wyrm, big difference....
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Although more usually used to describe the common earthworm the word "worm" derives from the Old Norse "Orme", "Orm" or "Wurm" meaning serpant or dragon and the Anglo Saxon "Wyrm" or "vurm".
    So, technically, yes, we are, but not the snake like kind.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    So, technically, yes, we are, but not the snake like kind.
    Balks at the idea that dragons could be considered "worms"..

As for the dragon-rider idea, being able to transport hatchies has its advantages, particularly on Order where it would factor in well with the RP element. I fail to see how out would destroy the RoP as another had said.
    As for transporting Naka.. Helians would likly be willing, but I cant see a Lunus dragon doing it.. unless its a very deserving Naka.

Definatly an invite system, like the group invites must be used, or it will not work. The ability to dump the character (and allow for the dragon's player getting DC'd) could just force a recall of the rider.. or drop the rider back to where it first got on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carenath View Post
    Balks at the idea that dragons could be considered "worms"..
    My first desire was to say at least the spelling was wrong, wyrm vs. worm. But I wanted to make sure my facts were strait, and discovered 3 different spellings all meant the same thing to my chagrin.

1. Who can offer/request the transport?
    Dragon can offer a ride. Biped can ask in chat for a ride. If biped is too annoying dragon can put said biped on ignore.

2. In what position will the transportee be. Claws, back, special disc?
    Back is the traditional and fine with me. I'd like to be able to give rides to hatchlings, but that would break the RoP besides looking funny. Perhaps they could modify that part of the RoP.

3. Would special gear and/or a new slot be required for transportation
    I'd say no. It might be a bit more realistic to have a saddle, but that seems to cause problems with some people. If special gear is required, maybe it would be slightly more palatable if it could only be crafted by a dragon.

4. Can a transportee get off/out in midflight?
    Yes. They would NOT fall to their death since no where else is there falling damage. Of course if they land in the ocean they're going to have some trouble. (I STILL wish they had falling damage in this game, but they don't)

5. Can a transportee recall in midflight?
    No more then a dragon can recall midflight.

6. Can a transportee fight midflight? Aerial Combat?
    No more then the dragon, which means no and for the same reasons (it could be used as an exploit with combat the way it is now). I wish the game were set up for aerial combat in which case some sort of fighting while airborne should be possible (for rider AND dragon), but until then . . . no.

7. Can the transporter fight in midflight? Again perform Aerial Combat?
    Dragons can't fight when not carrying someone. Doesn't seem right to suddenly allow it if they are. Aerial combat would be sooooo cool, but that's another feature all by itself.

8. Can the transporting dragon dump his transportee in midflight?
    While I want to say yes, it could be used for griefing, so make it no. Dragon CAN eject a rider when on the ground. If the rider is getting annoying simply land and kick him off.

About dragons who loose connection. Loosing connection should not cause anything to happen which could not be done without loosing connection or people will deliberately break connection. I'd suggest having the the server cause the dragon land immediately wherever he is and automatically eject the rider before poofing. Perhaps have the system give the rider a message saying what's going on so there are no hard feelings. As I recall, a dragon who looses connection in flight comes back on the ground at the point he looses connection so it comes down to functionally the same thing.

If they could allow aerial combat things could start to get really cool. Fighting other flying creatures, dragon lances, ... I'd vote for aerial combat right after they got dragon riding.

I always liked the idea of dragon riding.. it seems very epic!
    One thing that would add to it is enemies that ride dragons as well.. maybe they are rare but imagine the excitement when a magical toll goes off signifying that hostile dragon riders are in the area. On this note I would like to see perhaps a new breed of "tainted" dragons that would allow orcs and undead use them as mounts & lead them around. Such dragons would be considered an insult to dragons everywhere..
    Back to my first thought-the toll goes off.. something that is heard in all towns. a coordinated system wih perhaps a crystaline tower that glows differantly when danger abounds and thrums a sort of high pitched noise. The town cryer/sheriff would shout which town the raid is happening in so as to alert players.

Thread Information